Reusse: Finally given his chance to lead, Gopher alum Brian Dutcher rides the wave at San Diego State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

There are 350 Division I men’s basketball programs in the NCAA. There remains one unbeaten: San Diego State, 18-0 overall and 7-0 in the Mountain West.

This is Brian Dutcher’s third season as Aztecs coach. Before that, he served as the lead assistant and then head-coach-in-waiting to Steve Fisher for 18 seasons (1999-2017).

There was plenty of success in that time, including a pair of Sweet 16 seasons: 34-3 in 2010-11, with Kawhi Leonard as a sophomore, and 31-5 in 2013-14.

There had to be offers across the spectrum of midmajor conferences for Dutcher to become a head coach much earlier than 2017, at age 57.

“I knew for certain we had the commitment from our administration to have the best possible program,” Dutcher said. “We’re in a great city now, with only one major league team. We’re the ‘pro’ basketball team in the eighth-largest city in America.

“This is the best job in our conference. As a coach, that’s what you want … the best job in your conference.”

Jim Dutcher, Brian’s father and the Gophers coach from 1975 to 1986, said: “Brian and Jan, and their daughters, Erin and Liza … they love San Diego. I don’t think Brian would have had the same patience in waiting to be a head coach in any other city.”

Or with any other mentor.

Go Gophers!!

Grew up enjoying MN basketball when JD was coach. Appreciate how he has always been a positive and logical analyst of Gopher basketball.

Top Bottom