Reusse column: Sandy Stephens was ahead of his time

Thanks for posting. I thought this quote from Judge Dickson was telling and I agree with him.

"I want to see the Gophers in the Rose Bowl again, yes, but that's not the important thing," he said. "What I really want to see is the unity between the coaching staff, the players, the administration and the community like it existed when we played for the university."

Be nice to get back to Pasadena, but getting the whole scene pulling together would be great (and quite an achievement).

About time and well deserved. My Dad is also from Uniontown Pa and was good friends with Stephens and Munsey as well as Judge Dickson. A lot of great football players came out of that little town in western pa (including Ernie "The Express" Davis who lived in Uniontown as a child). If you ever meet my dad, he will surely tell you ALL about it. :cool:

Congrats to the Stephens family! :clap:

In my small town in the Pittsburgh area, I have 2 former Gophers who live on my street. One of em went to the U during the Stephens era and talked all about the glory years. Had me pretty jealous. He also told me Stephens was from Uniontown, which shocked me. Had no idea Stephens grew up 20 minutes from my hometown. Small world

I was just starting to follow sports and we were all Sandy Stephens or Bobby Bell when we were running around in the backyard with a football in our hands in the late-1950s/early-1960s. I was young, so I can't comment about how these guys may have captured the state's sports imagination, but it was really cool.

I wish Reusse would stick to being fat and not write about Gopher football players. ;) He hates Gopher football.

I was just starting to follow sports and we were all Sandy Stephens or Bobby Bell when we were running around in the backyard with a football in our hands in the late-1950s/early-1960s. I was young, so I can't comment about how these guys may have captured the state's sports imagination, but it was really cool.

Gopher Football Ruled.

BTW you were not Stephens or Bell. I was.

Top Bottom