Reusse column: Defensive line could break a bad tradition

yawn. i don't even care if it is good, bad, mocking or indifferent. it is craptastic reusse, so quite frankly i am not going to given him link hits or read it either way. that fat, old, disgusting cow needs to be put out to pasture.

yawn. i don't even care if it is good, bad, mocking or indifferent. it is craptastic reusse, so quite frankly i am not going to given him links hits or read it either way. that fat, old, disgusting cow needs to be put out to pasture.

At worst it was a good read, no need to yawn or name call.

At worst it was a good read, no need to yawn or name call.

you mean like reusse likes to do virtually every day of his life behind the shield of a radio microphone and pen?! please. i have no quarrel with calling pat reusse "names".

I have always bashed Reusse but for a change - this was positive.

you mean like reusse likes to do virtually every day of his life behind the shield of a radio microphone and pen?! please. i have no quarrel with calling pat reusse "names".

At least he does not hide behind the shield of a pseudonym, like we do. :p

I have always bashed Reusse but for a change - this was positive.

I don't care if it was positive or negative. I don't want the beat writers or opinion columnists in this town to just blindly say everything is great, or that everything sucks. I want informed opinion. Phil Miller does the best job, in my opinion. He was hard on the team last year when they deserved it, and complimentary about the team when they deserved. I don't think Patty would do enough work to become informed. All that being said, it doesn't matter to me, he will never get another click from me.

At least he does not hide behind the shield of a pseudonym, like we do. :p

sure he does. he goes by "fulda fata$$". he is more of a lurker than a regular poster. :p

What the hell is going on? Feel like an old dog that's been beaten and is finally thrown a bone. Am really, really tired of the history lesson in the first half of each and every column. Of course, going to the archives does fill the space, doesn't it, Pat?

What the hell is going on? Feel like an old dog that's been beaten and is finally thrown a bone. Am really, really tired of the history lesson in the first half of each and every column. Of course, going to the archives does fill the space, doesn't it, Pat?

I'm not nearly so anti-Reusse as some here though he does push my buttons sometimes, mainly now when he tweets. But Mulligan's comment is my main criticism of him. Why must every stinking column start with a look back? Sometimes it is certainly appropriate but not every dang time for every dang sport.

Reusse may go all the way back to '77 for a formidable pass rush, but the '99 Gophers with Karon Riley, John Schlecht, and Greg White on the defensive line was quite memorable. Riley led the Big 10 in sacks that year with thirteen and left the program as the all-time leader in sacks (not sure when that became an official statistic in college). Schlecht and White were both recognized by either or both the media and coaches on the 2nd team or honorable mention Big 10 that year.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112800aaa.html

Two years previous, Lamanzer Williams was a monster in '97. All-American, Bronko Nagurski winner, and Carl Eller award winner. 18.5 sacks that season, plus 24 TFL's, both Gopher records. (from STrib article, not linked)
http://www.lostlettermen.com/lamanzer_williams-minnesota-football-big_10-p175106/

So you don't have to go back to '77, but it has been awhile.

Darn that Reusse. He's just so negative. . . Hey, wait! :rolleyes:

He personally hated Brewster so, except for begrudgingly giving Tim some credit when he was 7-1, he joined the chorus of anti-Gopher voices during Brewster's tenure. That's not his usual M.O. He'll ALWAYS take the contrary side. Going into last week's game most of the media and many of the public, were mocking the Gophers again. It's possible that the 3-4 columns ripping the U for their attendance "problem" set Pat on his latest path. His column pointing the finger right at the students was an obvious response to those columns.

He's been talking about the lack of a Pass Rush for years, so have most of us. He's often mentioned Karon, Lamazer "The Dancing Bear" and VanDeSteeg (yeah, I'm a listener) as the only Pass Rushers they had in the last 10 -15 years so this column isn't a surprise. It will be interesting to see what he'll do if the Gophers can keep this streak going into the Northwestern or even Wisconsin games. Maybe then Patrick will have to start "ripping em" to difference him from the pack.

Hey but we'll still have Shaver, Barrerio and the Strib online writers and posters, so maybe Pat wont feel the need. :cool:

I don't understand the dislike for Reusse at all. In fact, I think the guy is old school,sometimes fresh and usually funny at the same time. He still is passionate about what he does (writes about small town things like high school basketball and amateur baseball), and he cares about Gopher sports. When he retires, he will be replaced by someone who doesn't have the history of the local sports scene going back ~50 years. He might also get replaced by who doesn't give a sh*t for Gopher sports.

I don't understand the dislike for Reusse at all. In fact, I think the guy is old school,sometimes fresh and usually funny at the same time. He still is passionate about what he does (writes about small town things like high school basketball and amateur baseball), and he cares about Gopher sports. When he retires, he will be replaced by someone who doesn't have the history of the local sports scene going back ~50 years. He might also get replaced by who doesn't give a sh*t for Gopher sports.

+1.

I don't care if it was positive or negative. I don't want the beat writers or opinion columnists in this town to just blindly say everything is great, or that everything sucks. I want informed opinion. Phil Miller does the best job, in my opinion. He was hard on the team last year when they deserved it, and complimentary about the team when they deserved. I don't think Patty would do enough work to become informed. All that being said, it doesn't matter to me, he will never get another click from me.

One of my favorite things on this board. Posting in a Reusee thread about how he will never get another click from whichever poster. Classic.

Ruesse was just saying he wouldn't put too much praise on the Vikings, they just played the worst team they'll face all year. He must hate the Vikings.

Top Bottom