Reusse: 1500ESPN- 2010 vs 2011 Start

An important distinction was that 2010 was year 4 of the Brewster regime, and that's when you expect the payoff. In year one is when you expect to take some lumps.

I was expecting this to be a hit piece but it was actually pretty good. He wasn't calling for Kill's head or calling him a failure if they lose this weekend but basically saying that it would be hard to salvage anything meaningful in 2011 if the team starts 0-3.

An important distinction was that 2010 was year 4 of the Brewster regime, and that's when you expect the payoff. In year one is when you expect to take some lumps.

This is Year 5 of rebuilding the Gophers from the complete mess Mason left the team in. Kill needs to show improvement over last season. If he doesn't win at least 4 games the season will be a failure. Kill has enough talent to do even better than that. Beating Illinois and Iowa at the end of the season wasn't done with smoke and mirrors. College football teams win with inexperienced QB's all the time.

This is Year 5 of rebuilding the Gophers from the complete mess Mason left the team in. Kill needs to show improvement over last season. If he doesn't win at least 4 games the season will be a failure. Kill has enough talent to do even better than that. Beating Illinois and Iowa at the end of the season wasn't done with smoke and mirrors. College football teams win with inexperienced QB's all the time.

Year 5? Absolutely not. That would be saying that Jerry Kill has the head coach here for the previous 4 seasons. It is Iron Clad Fact that this is year 1. There is a new coaching staff and a new system. Yes, teams win with inexperienced quarterbacks. That's not the issue. Bring in a new coach and a new system, and they tend to do worse initially than they did the previous year. And this team did win only 3 games last year.

Wait, so what we're in now has all to do with Mason, and nothing to do with Brewster's last four years??? LOL WHAT? This is Year 1 of the Jerry Kill rebuild. You cannot lay the last four years on his feet lol.

And if an inexperienced QB was our only issue, we rout NMSU 45-3, regardless of who's coaching, especially when said inexperienced QB goes for 200+ in the air and another 100+ on the ground. The defensive line especially was a major problem. When you can't get pressure from your front four against NMSU, we have some issues.

Wow..........

Huge logic fail here.

RE: the article. Classic Reusse. Seemed like the final premise was "win or else...."

I'm not a hater on Reusse; I think he's great when it comes to baseball and he can tell a story with the best of them. And I find him funny on the radio. But I don't think it's as cut & dry as "win or your season is doomed" as he does.

This is Year 5 of rebuilding the Gophers from the complete mess Mason left the team in.

Didn't need to read any further. If you think Mason would have had a 1-11 or 3-9 season in the last four years you are clueless. Weber would have been drafted if in Mason's system for five years.

I listened to Matt Anderle and his interview got me off the ledge.
If MN beats the #1 team in the nation last week I would not run around saying we are the best team in the nation, so losing to the worst FCS team in the nation does not make us the worst. We only watched but the players lived it.

I listened to Matt Anderle and his interview got me off the ledge.
If MN beats the #1 team in the nation last week I would not run around saying we are the best team in the nation, so losing to the worst FCS team in the nation does not make us the worst. We only watched but the players lived it.

+1. NMST may have been the worst team last year, but they will not be this year. Experience !

Didn't need to read any further. If you think Mason would have had a 1-11 or 3-9 season in the last four years you are clueless. Weber would have been drafted if in Mason's system for five years.

Just who would have played DB for Mason in 2007? Brewster had to start true freshman that he signed in January. The Gophers were 0-5 in the Big Ten and needed to block a FG to beat North Dakota State at home with a Senior QB in 2006. Look at the recruiting class ranks left for Brewster ALL OF THEM WERE 9th or LOWER! Nobody was winning anything in 2007, the team had nothing going for it.

The Gophers lost virtually all thier Running Backs to injury that season and that was with an Offense that featured the pass. Mason took a LOT of heat by saying that 2007 was going to be the start of a major "rebuilding period". Like him or not he was never a "sandbagger." Turns out he was right. Doubt that he would have a "one" win season but looking back, four wins would also have been a stretch.

I have no idea how good New Mexico State will be this year. It's still a game that we should have won, but they may well be better than last year. But NMSU is not an FCS team.

This whole argument goes back to building the program on concrete vs. sand. The head coaches job is to instill a mentality and characteristics to his players and install a system that will create long term success. Could Kill implement a game plan that would get the Gophers into a bowl this year? Probably. However, in the long run that would do more harm than good.
With the current talent level of this team, the only way the Gophers are going to win tough games is through discipline and execution and that's not done through chasing the quick fix.
Saying the Gophers have been rebuilding for 5 years is wrong. The Gophers have been rebuilding since they last won the Rose Bowl.
I don't want to see a coach that aims for mediocrity and that's what Kill would be doing by changing his system every year.
Programs are built by creating a plan, identifying players who fit into that plan, getting those players, and executing that plan.
You can't get to the penthouse without starting on the ground floor.

I think this is the longest a Reusse thread has gone before someone has hinted he may have a weight problem.

go4broke: this is the 5th year of the badger joel stinking macturi rebuilding program. bjsm has orchestrated EVERY coaching move during the last five years. It is ALL on him. What the heck is HE still doing being employed in ANY capacity at the U of M. He has FAILED the football program...the revenue programs.

IF badger joel stinking macturi appears on the screen of the jumbo on Saturday, he should be soundly booooo'd...Send him a message to pack his bags.

; 0 )

imthewalrus, why don't you try being an athletic director and we'll see how you do.

MaxyJR1;433227 I just think we need to be playing our best football at season's end.[/QUOTE said:
To a certain extent I follow this logic. However, when teams have no or little depth, the last few games of a season can be brutal, not matter how well the coached has performed. The injuries pile up and the replacements get younger and younger.

Just who would have played DB for Mason in 2007? Brewster had to start true freshman that he signed in January. The Gophers were 0-5 in the Big Ten and needed to block a FG to beat North Dakota State at home with a Senior QB in 2006. Look at the recruiting class ranks left for Brewster ALL OF THEM WERE 9th or LOWER! Nobody was winning anything in 2007, the team had nothing going for it.

Mason would have had continuity with the players, system, and staff. Shane Potter likely wouldn't have been leading South Dakota over us. Tommy Becker likely would have been leading St. Thomas to a re-birth. We may have not been a bowl team, but we would have continued a program.

Speculation is great. Would the Columbus boys all have gotten in trouble and kicked out of school if not for the coaching change? We'll never know.

Ok zambam: I'll take the job and immediately bring Tom Moe back to finish the job that he held during the aftermath of the U of M's haskin's scandal. Tom Moe was a GREAT AD. He stepped out of the way so that chris v. could be deep-sixed and forced out as Women's ad and the two-headed monster that had evolved could be dismantled. . Unfortunately for everyone, badger joel stinking macturi was hired in 2002 and it has been all down hill for the men's revenue sports ever since that fateful day.

; 0 )

Good One!

imthewalrus, why don't you try being an athletic director and we'll see how you do.

Wren only knows how to do three things, i.e. rant, rave, and babble. Other than that he does have a clue what it takes to do a real job.

Mason would have had continuity with the players, system, and staff. Shane Potter likely wouldn't have been leading South Dakota over us. Tommy Becker likely would have been leading St. Thomas to a re-birth. We may have not been a bowl team, but we would have continued a program.

Speculation is great. Would the Columbus boys all have gotten in trouble and kicked out of school if not for the coaching change? We'll never know.[/QUOTE]

This is a MAJOR stretch.

First time, probably not, but this guy said it...

This whole argument goes back to building the program on concrete vs. sand. The head coaches job is to instill a mentality and characteristics to his players and install a system that will create long term success. Could Kill implement a game plan that would get the Gophers into a bowl this year? Probably. However, in the long run that would do more harm than good.
With the current talent level of this team, the only way the Gophers are going to win tough games is through discipline and execution and that's not done through chasing the quick fix.
Saying the Gophers have been rebuilding for 5 years is wrong. The Gophers have been rebuilding since they last won the Rose Bowl.
I don't want to see a coach that aims for mediocrity and that's what Kill would be doing by changing his system every year.
Programs are built by creating a plan, identifying players who fit into that plan, getting those players, and executing that plan.
You can't get to the penthouse without starting on the ground floor.

This is the first idiot that I have ever read that really means winning could be bad. You can not teach people how to win by getting to know losing. This concept is wrong on so many levels it demands an explanation by the writer. Give it to me. Why should winning not be part of the formula for future success? Since when in the planning cycle does the strategic plan not get modeled to the current situation? Every week they game plan because each opposing team brings a different set of problems that the "plan" may or may not be able to stop. So, the sytems expexts adjustments. How is that leaving the plan behind? Why would attempting to win not be part of the plan? Have you read and analyzed what you have written? Could you possibly fallen into a trap of writing diametrically opposed ideas in the same sentence. The point of the football season is not to be working toward next season. It is to finish this season with this team with the greatest success you can muster. At least 20% of the team will be gone and a new set of players joining the team. Before they step on the field, the plan may have to be adjusted to accommodate the new skill set, or it is not a plan at all. A plan always takes into consideration the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to the team. Or it is junk. You can not predict who you will have on the team or the ability of the team before it arrives in spring and fall. Rebuilding happens during the season. It doesn't happen at any other point in history. The theory of the plan is only as good as its current execution.

Winning is good, but there is short-term success and there is long term success. We could have kept Horton as head coach, kept the staff and the system in place and probably had more success in the short term. But it probably wouldn't have given us success in the long term. A coach desperate to keep his job might burn a lot of his players redshirts, but a coach who can afford to think for the future will not, even if it means less wins right away. If the short term was all that mattered, no school would make a coaching change.

Winning is good, but there is short-term success and there is long term success. We could have kept Horton as head coach, kept the staff and the system in place and probably had more success in the short term. But it probably wouldn't have given us success in the long term. A coach desperate to keep his job might burn a lot of his players redshirts, but a coach who can afford to think for the future will not, even if it means less wins right away. If the short term was all that mattered, no school would make a coaching change.

I agree in principle. But, redshirts are being burned this year without Horton on board. The demographic distribution of our team dictates that more than our upperclassmen play. By the way, how do you think you get to long-term goals anyway? You do so by accomplishing all the short term goals in between the start and end of the plan, or did you forget that? We have burned Shortell's redshirt. Have we not played any other true freshmen? Are you saying that Coach Kill is deliberately preparing them in such a way that it is detrimental to winning this year? Please clarify your clarification to me. It almost sounds like you believe it is not possible to win this year under Coach Kill and that we somehow have to sacrifice winning this year for a chance at winning later. Is that correct? Is that what you believe? Seriously?

By the way, how do you think you get to long-term goals anyway? You do so by accomplishing all the short term goals in between the start and end of the plan, or did you forget that?

You don't sacrifice the future for the present.

We have burned Shortell's redshirt. Have we not played any other true freshmen?

I didn't say that all freshmen must be redshirted.

Are you saying that Coach Kill is deliberately preparing them in such a way that it is detrimental to winning this year?

I'm saying that he is preparing the team to meet long term goals, as would any decent football coach.

Is that correct? Is that what you believe? Seriously?

Go ask any football coach. They will say the same thing.

I can't believe how much dumber I am for reading that. Thanks.

Like Cupito was? Hey, I wasn't a big Mase fan at the end and Brewster could obviously screw up a one-car parade, but the revisionism that somehow gets Weber drafted when Mason never had a QB drafted is a bit of a stretch.

Top Bottom