Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Why do you feel that the MBB program has a more damaged reputation than the WBB program?

Is it gender related?
Is it controlling the behavior of the players more?
Does WBB get a Title IX break?

The last WBB scandal that I can recall is when Brenda Friese left for Maryland.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well in the Littlejohn years they did almost get the death penalty, as bad as it's been on the men side we've never seriously have come close to that mark. Also a coach leaving is not a scandal, you shouldn't use a word like that so loosely. Was it a scandal when you decided to make the fries at burger King instead of McDonalds?

Well in the Littlejohn years they did almost get the death penalty, as bad as it's been on the men side we've never seriously have come close to that mark. Also a coach leaving is not a scandal, you shouldn't use a word like that so loosely. Was it a scandal when you decided to make the fries at burger King instead of McDonalds?
Sorry, I don't work in your field. You would have to answer that one.

Last closest thing WBB has had to a scandal is multiple players leaving program under Borton.

Generally speaking, young mean do dumb stuff a lot more than young women. There are way more issues and scandals in men's basketball across the country.

Why do you feel that the MBB program has a more damaged reputation than the WBB program?

Let's see - beat down of Luke Witte
recruiting violations under Musselman
best team in school history on probation and not eligible for national championship
players accused of sexual assault in Madison
Jim Dutcher resigns in wake of scandal
Academic fraud under Haskins
team placed on probation - previous season results stricken from record books
Need I go on?

Reputations?

Men = same-old, same-old, can't get out of their own way off the court.

Women = have one of the best players in country, yes, but that's offset and then some by their matador defense.

Because men/young men think with their di*ks

I can't remember a WBB scandal going back to 84 when I was on campus. That's a long time to only have some transfers and a coach leave as the only thing this collection of Gopher honks can come up with.

Here's what little grade school girls chant:

"girls goes to college to get more knowledge
boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider"

Fits in this case.

Generally, I find this a strangely premised thread with a peculiar multiple choice answer list. Being a supporter of Men’s and Women’s sports I think these “versus” threads tend to end up in late night, blind alley, knife fights.

BUT, as Bemidjigopher mentioned, please let us not forget the Cheryl Littlejohn era.

And yes it was a big general news story. And of course Littlejohn went to Chicago State and was pretty quickly fired for similar transgressions.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/051501aaa.html

The report, said Brown, found a pattern of deliberate rules violations in the women's basketball program by Head Coach Cheryl Littlejohn. Together, the violations are likely to be considered a major infractions case by the NCAA.

"The university is deeply disappointed and troubled by these findings," said Brown. "Our coaches have an obligation to both know and follow NCAA rules, and the pattern of disregard for the rules that is reflected in this report is simply unacceptable."

In his summary of the key findings, the General Counsel described three categories of infractions:
* Improper offers, inducements or impermissible benefits, including giving student-athletes cash and gifts and the use of third parties such as parents or other student-athletes to obscure Littlejohn's involvement in the violations.
* Interference by Littlejohn in a prior investigation, which constitutes unethical conduct.
* Violations of rules related to limits on practice time and evaluation of prospects. These rules are designed to ensure one team does not have a competitive advantage over others. The NCAA considers their disregard to be a serious infraction.

WOMEN'S ATHLETICS DIRECTOR CHRIS VOELZ' COMMENTS FROM THE PRESS CONFERENCE

Some eight weeks ago, some 21 young women brought me their concerns. I want to thank them for bringing forward the issues that violated our culture and for having the patience to withstand the last two months of uncertainty. I commit to them that we will find a new coach - one who will have a competitive spirit, yet compassion and commitment to the values of our department and the institution.

I want to let the people of Minnesota know how sorry I am that this ever happened. Ultimately, I am responsible for providing the clear expectations and the environment that should safeguard against such intolerable actions. I am humbled to admit that no matter the checks and balances, it still takes an individual's personal responsibility and accountability to make it work.

I want you to know that I believe our department has a coaching staff and administrative staff filled with responsible and accountable people who have bought into our values and act upon them every day.

We will continue to work each and every day to earn and enjoy the trust of the people of Minnesota.

Pretty much and usually you only hear about women sex scandals when it's a hot teacher for the most part and those usually only get out because the boy brags about it to his friends.

Generally, I find this a strangely premised thread with a peculiar multiple choice answer list. Being a supporter of Men’s and Women’s sports I think these “versus” threads tend to end up in late night, blind alley, knife fights.

BUT, as Bemidjigopher mentioned, please let us not forget the Cheryl Littlejohn era.

And yes it was a big general news story. And of course Littlejohn went to Chicago State and was pretty quickly fired for similar transgressions.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/051501aaa.html

The report, said Brown, found a pattern of deliberate rules violations in the women's basketball program by Head Coach Cheryl Littlejohn. Together, the violations are likely to be considered a major infractions case by the NCAA.

"The university is deeply disappointed and troubled by these findings," said Brown. "Our coaches have an obligation to both know and follow NCAA rules, and the pattern of disregard for the rules that is reflected in this report is simply unacceptable."

In his summary of the key findings, the General Counsel described three categories of infractions:
* Improper offers, inducements or impermissible benefits, including giving student-athletes cash and gifts and the use of third parties such as parents or other student-athletes to obscure Littlejohn's involvement in the violations.
* Interference by Littlejohn in a prior investigation, which constitutes unethical conduct.
* Violations of rules related to limits on practice time and evaluation of prospects. These rules are designed to ensure one team does not have a competitive advantage over others. The NCAA considers their disregard to be a serious infraction.

WOMEN'S ATHLETICS DIRECTOR CHRIS VOELZ' COMMENTS FROM THE PRESS CONFERENCE

Some eight weeks ago, some 21 young women brought me their concerns. I want to thank them for bringing forward the issues that violated our culture and for having the patience to withstand the last two months of uncertainty. I commit to them that we will find a new coach - one who will have a competitive spirit, yet compassion and commitment to the values of our department and the institution.

I want to let the people of Minnesota know how sorry I am that this ever happened. Ultimately, I am responsible for providing the clear expectations and the environment that should safeguard against such intolerable actions. I am humbled to admit that no matter the checks and balances, it still takes an individual's personal responsibility and accountability to make it work.

I want you to know that I believe our department has a coaching staff and administrative staff filled with responsible and accountable people who have bought into our values and act upon them every day.

We will continue to work each and every day to earn and enjoy the trust of the people of Minnesota.
I wanted a discussion thread, not a poll thread. The Littlejohn era for WBB was a very dark time, but they did rise above it. The catch there was tha Brenda Fries (aka Munson) was the coach who did turn stabilize it and when she bolted when she had the opportunity. If I recall correctly, it was all because the U (administration? athletic dept? AD?) didn't want to match what Maryland was offering. That miserly clutching of purse strings is in and of itself is the signature move that hobbled athletics in the late 1990s.

In spite of all that WBB dipped a bit in performance, but I don't recall them trying to break through the bottom of the horse**** play floor like MBB is doing this year.

It WBB versus MBB in terms of comparison in applying learnings to the respective programs

Top Bottom