Report: Memphis to be stripped of 38 wins during Final Four season

I wait for the day when the NCAA announces they are stripping all teams of all victories as they have determined the whole system to be a total fraud.

Does anyone think it bothers Kentucky fans that the coach they just hired leaves a huge poop stain everywhere he leaves?;)

Make no mistake, Cal will win big at Kentucky. And there's no doubt in my mind that if he wins a few national titles in a 10-year span before he leaves his inevitable NCAA skid mark in Lexington, UK fans will take the trade-off (some sort of NCAA probation) in a heartbeat.

Let's get the Gophers final four team, UMass's team under Cal, Memphis under Cal and the next vacated team and have a Final Four that never happened.

You forgot UCLA under Larry Brown, not to mention Michigan's Fraud 5.

I can't help but wonder what the heck Kentucky was thinking.

I can't help but wonder what the heck Kentucky was thinking.

I think that it's been proven time and again that they don't care. Win at all costs, we'll deal with the ramifications later, especially in the opinion of their fans. I would guess that this is due to the fact that the vast majority of their fans are not alumni of the school. They are fans of the basketball team, and do not care about the university's reputation at all. It shows.

Cue our resident Kentucky spinner in 3...2...1...

I understand that the records and final four must be removed.....but it always seems like the school and the kids suffer, while the coach moves on. I think they should also give the coach some type of consequence....not able to coach for a period of time or something.

Though the violations were completely different, Clem and others such as Todd Bozeman (now at Morgan State) & Dave Bliss (formerly SMU, most notably New Mexico & then Baylor) were banned from coaching for a period of time (5 years?) for their serious transgressions.

I understand that the records and final four must be removed.....but it always seems like the school and the kids suffer, while the coach moves on. I think they should also give the coach some type of consequence....not able to coach for a period of time or something.

Exactly. There's no reason Coach Cal shouldn't be hit with about a 7 year 'show cause' coaching ban just like Clem or Sampson. No reasonable person believes he 'didn't know' about all of this. He should be punished as much or more then the University he just ditched.

Though the violations were completely different, Clem and others such as Todd Bozeman (now at Morgan State) & Dave Bliss (formerly SMU, most notably New Mexico & then Baylor) were banned from coaching for a period of time (5 years?) for their serious transgressions.

Kelvin Sampson (IU) and Jim O'Brien (OSU) got bans from coaching, too, IIRC.

The other difference is that their violations led to the direct firing of these guys (Sampson, O'Brien, Haskins, Bozeman, Bliss, etc.) so they were all banned while unemployed and embarrassed. It is easy for the NCAA to ban guys who were without coaching jobs.

Calipari - on the other hand - beat the posse out of town each time, keeping his pride in tact, and somehow remaining employed. The NCAA simply doesn't have the "balls" to force the active coach of Kentucky into banned unemployment, no matter how much merit there is in doing so.

In the past few months I have watched the NCAA revoke the eligibility of one of the finest young men you will ever meet because he took a supplement he bought over the counter at GNC one time without checking with his school's trainers first. Despite the fact that he passed numerous drug tests (both random and scheduled) before and after and no trace of any steroids were found he was found "guilty" by that great sanctioning body and stripped of his senior year after passing up a million dollar contract with the NFL.

I've stopped caring what the NCAA thinks about anything.

"I've stopped caring what the NCAA thinks about anything."

You're a Kentucky fan. We wouldn't expect anything less.

"I've stopped caring what the NCAA thinks about anything."

You're a Kentucky fan. We wouldn't expect anything less.

Pithy. My meaning was very clear and if you agree with this decision (or the host of others that have been handed down [or not] over the last few years) on some misguided hate that's a personal failing on YOUR part.

In the past few months I have watched the NCAA revoke the eligibility of one of the finest young men you will ever meet because he took a supplement he bought over the counter at GNC one time without checking with his school's trainers first. Despite the fact that he passed numerous drug tests (both random and scheduled) before and after and no trace of any steroids were found he was found "guilty" by that great sanctioning body and stripped of his senior year after passing up a million dollar contract with the NFL.

I think your statement is consistent with the points made by other posters. It's not that the NCAA overpunishes or underpunishes, it's the randomness in their actions. And in this case, Memphis, its fans, its current team and current coach are all tarred (in some respect), but Rose and Calipari are off making millions somewhere else and remain untouched.

What a load of crap. I have been reading the posts on the UK site all day. These guys say nothing but BS. They keep saying what an angel coach Cal is and hell with NCAA.

The Truth: UK is next.

Pithy. My meaning was very clear and if you agree with this decision (or the host of others that have been handed down [or not] over the last few years) on some misguided hate that's a personal failing on YOUR part.

If he said he cared what the NCAA thought, how would he say they are full of crap when the nail UK for sanctions in 6 years.

I really don't think Coach Cal needs to cheat anymore! He skirted the rules to the top and now that he is there he can recruit "honestly" to get the top kids into KY. I think he will still attract the sleazier type players, not to say all KY players will be sleazy. By sleazy I mean players that don't mind bending a rule or two if it's to their advantage. Coach Cal will be just fine with that. As long as he can say "I had no idea that was going on". Of course KY's admin. will back Coach Cal all the way. After all it's the kids fault. That's how you put NCAA Banners in the rafters. At least that's how KY will be doing it.
I'm such a cynic!

The article didn't mention that Rose's SAT was taken in Detroit, home of World Wide Wes.

sec 105

sec105 I really don't think Coach Cal needs to cheat anymore! He skirted the rules to the top and now that he is there he can recruit "honestly" to get the top kids into KY. I think he will still attract the sleazier type players, not to say all KY players will be sleazy. By sleazy I mean players that don't mind bending a rule or two if it's to their advantage. Coach Cal will be just fine with that. As long as he can say "I had no idea that was going on". Of course KY's admin. will back Coach Cal all the way. After all it's the kids fault. That's how you put NCAA Banners in the rafters. At least that's how KY will be doing it.
I'm such a cynic!

You may be a cynic, but in reality you are regurgitating what hundreds of people have already said for the past several years about this situation. Not that I disagree with you, but this discussion, IMO, is very tired. I think the only real news that can come from this would be if Cal himself were to get hit with penalties.

Even if some miraculous transformation were to occur in Lexington and UK decided that Calipari was too tainted for them, they couldn't afford the buy-out after Gillespie.

I'm not talking so much from a financial standpoint as a psychological perspective. Their fan-base would go ballistic. In over 80 posts on the Catspause thread referenced by Bleed elsewhere, I didn't note one post that questioned whether Calipari should be retained or not given this latest twist and turn. More indicative of the general reactions of UK fans are these two sentiments:

Now, like I said, I really don't care about UMASS or Memphis having their Final Four vacated. We are paying Cal more than anyone to take us to Final Fours and win titles, and not to have them eventually vacated by the way.
Look, I'd rather have a coach like Cal who trusts and loves his players than a coach like we had before who verbally and physically abuses his players. I think we made a huge upgrade and if some here can't accept it for what it is then you aren't real UK fans at all.

As I See It

Marcus Camby used an NBA agent prematurely. The NCAA couldn't punish him so they penalized UMass instead.

Derrick Rose may have dodged a rule or two to get eligible. The NCAA couldn't punish him so they penalized Memphis instead.

Calipari pushes the envelope like Roy Willaims, Bill Self, Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, et al.

John Wooden and Adolph Rupp pushed the envelope back in the day. Dean Smith did. Etc, etc, etc.

Top Bottom