Remember when!

wdgold

Reaction score
With all the talk about Cal beating the Gophers. Remember when back in 1977 the Gophers beat the wolverines 16-0 when Michigan was #1 in the country! Anything is possible.

I was a 10 year old kid but I actually remember it! Well, I wasn't at the game or remember specific plays but I remember how excited my dad was to get that victory.

With all the talk about Cal beating the Gophers. Remember when back in 1977 the Gophers beat the wolverines 16-0 when Michigan was #1 in the country! Anything is possible.
That is the day I became a Gopher fan. I grew up in a Viking house. My grandfather had season tickets so everyone in my family was pretty rabid about Viking football because that was back in the day when they were going to all those disappointing Super Bowls. Anyway, I was 9 years old when they beat Michigan that year. I listened to the game on the radio while raking leaves in the backyard. It was by pure chance that I tuned in the game. We only had an A.M. transitor radio, and the only thing that came in clear was the broadcast of the Gopher/Michigan game.

Because my family wasn't into Gopher football, and because I was too young to go myself, I never did see a game at Memorial Stadium. That is why last Saturday was so special for me. I finally got to experience on campus football for the first time. I have to admit, I shed as many tears as Bud Grant did. Who would have thought it 32 years ago. Ray Christensen got me hooked on Gopher football. Thanks Ray!

Go Gophers! Beat Cal!

I was a freshman in the marching band that year and I remember the Michigan game well. Cal Stoll had a great game plan and we maintained good field advantage for most of the day. To me, the play of the game was when Michigan was gaining momentum and it looked like they were going to pin us back near our goal line, Cal called a quick kick on 3rd down that caught Michigan by surprise and gave us back our field advantage, and secured the shutout victory. We went 7-0 at home that year, which I don't think has been done since.

Remember when you were young ...
you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond

That is the day I became a Gopher fan. I grew up in a Viking house. My grandfather had season tickets so everyone in my family was pretty rabid about Viking football because that was back in the day when they were going to all those disappointing Super Bowls. Anyway, I was 9 years old when they beat Michigan that year. I listened to the game on the radio while raking leaves in the backyard. It was by pure chance that I tuned in the game. We only had an A.M. transitor radio, and the only thing that came in clear was the broadcast of the Gopher/Michigan game.

Because my family wasn't into Gopher football, and because I was too young to go myself, I never did see a game at Memorial Stadium. That is why last Saturday was so special for me. I finally got to experience on campus football for the first time. I have to admit, I shed as many tears as Bud Grant did. Who would have thought it 32 years ago. Ray Christensen got me hooked on Gopher football. Thanks Ray!

Go Gophers! Beat Cal!

I was fortunate to see a couple of games in old memorial stadium when I was a kid and remember how fun it was. A big part of why I am a first year season ticket holder is I wanted to experience outdoor football again like I did long ago, and not just for me but for my kids also. I brought my 13 yr old to the opener and he had the time of his life!

Top Bottom