Red Zone Offense

How so? By the only available objective metric (completion %) Gray is more accurate. Gray is 34/65 (52.3%) and Max is 9/20 (45%). Obviously there is a MASSIVE issue with sample size, but what else are we supposed to judge them on?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Anything else (Gray looks worse, Max misses throws by less, etc) is subjective.
I can count and remember at least 3 perfectly thrown balls that were dropped by MN receivers which would of brought his completion % up to 60%. Sample size plays a huge role in Shortells % being lower than Gray's

Totally agree with this. Spread things out on short down and distance. I finally had time to watch the Miami game last night (first half anyway) and on the plays when there was not 8 in the box, the Gophers had some success running the ball. They also called one or two slow-developing plays (reverse, etc.) on 3rd and short, inexplicably. What a mess. Like I said, I'm sure they are working on this and working on some solutions.

For the record, I never said Max was a better QB than Gray. I'm just saying I don't think Gray can hit a bull in the a$$ with a handful of rocks. Gray threw for 90% of his yards in the first half Saturday and he threw two accurate passes that were past the LOS; both 8-10 yard dumps, straight downfield. The others were short flat passes or he missed miserably or was bailed out by the receiver. No, I'm not saying Shortell is a better QB or that he should be starting over Gray; but I'd bet my left nut that Shortell is a better PASSER right now, from what we've seen anyway. I'd be curious to know who McKnight and Moulton would rather have throwing them the ball. McKnight was visibly pissed on a number of plays Saturday when he was wide open and should have gotten the ball. I know, receivers are unhappy all the time and always think they're open, but still.

I'm not real big on Mason but he knows his football and he railed on Gray for most of the game for all the throws he missed, times he ran when he should have found a receiver, etc. It was frightening.

Like I said, Gray is the Gophers starting QB right now so it's not a debate, and I'm behind him 110%. He's the man and as long as he continues to get comfortable in the offense and his confidence continues to grow, the Gophers will be just fine.
I'm with you here. Shortell IS a much better passer already than Q but he isn't nearly the threat that Q is with his legs.

I can count and remember at least 3 perfectly thrown balls that were dropped by MN receivers which would of brought his completion % up to 60%. Sample size plays a huge role in Shortells % being lower than Gray's

Goody...I can recall some throws by Gray getting dropped too. But this is the only objective stat there is to use and it says what it says. Weirdly enough I noted the sample size thing in the post you quoted. Guess you felt the need to reiterate.

Top Bottom