Red-Gray-Shirt ?

goldfan24

Reaction score
With Josh Campion healthy and ready to join the team in January, does anyone here know if he was gray-shirted this season? Also wondering if Dan Orseske would get a medical or regular red-shirt for this season because of his mono illness. Did Hageman, Mc Ghee, Rengel, Searcy, and Jacques all red-shirt or did some of them gray-shirt? This team has some great talent waiting to get on the field if these players are all ready to go next spring along with Maresh. They all have Big Ten-level size already so they won't need to gain size like a lot of the recruits normally do.

With Josh Campion healthy and ready to join the team in January, does anyone here know if he was gray-shirted this season?

Yes, he'll be grayshirted and join the team with 5 years to play 4 like a normal incoming freshman.

Also wondering if Dan Orseske would get a medical or regular red-shirt for this season because of his mono illness.

He's ineligible for a regular redshirt on account of having already played in games this year. As for the medical redshirt, I doubt he'll get that either since he played a fair amount prior to the illness. Usually a guy can't see more than a game, maybe two, worth of action and still get one of these.

Did Hageman, Mc Ghee, Rengel, Searcy, and Jacques all red-shirt or did some of them gray-shirt?

Hageman, McGhee and Jacques are all in line to take redshirts. They'll have 4 years to play 4 unless something extraordinary happens later on. I believe Rengel is also taking a redshirt this year.

Searcy, like Campion, was a grayshirt with this class. As long as everything is in line for him academically (no inside information here, just haven't heard an update in a while) he will join the team this winter and, like Campion, have 5 years to play 4.

Orseske can apply for a medical red-shirt according to a Brew press conference a while back...

I believe the medical redshirt rule is 20% or not quite 2 1/2 games I don't have a clue how it's figured.

[/QUOTE]Searcy, like Campion, was a grayshirt with this class. As long as everything is in line for him academically (no inside information here, just haven't heard an update in a while) he will join the team this winter and, like Campion, have 5 years to play 4.[/QUOTE]

According to Shooter, Searcy is visiting this weekend along with Campion. That should be good news I'm guessing regarding Searcy. I wonder if we'll get an update via Gopherhole regarding the status of Searcy, hint hint.

Since these are both gray shirts, do their scholarships count for this year or last year? If this year, then we are sitting at 23 commitments with 28-30 to give, correct?

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

[/QUOTE]
Since these are both gray shirts, do their scholarships count for this year or last year? If this year, then we are sitting at 23 commitments with 28-30 to give, correct?

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher[/QUOTE]

They count for last year. Here's the math. The U has 25 scholarships to give, can over sign by 3, and has 2 grayshirts that count agaist last year, a total of 30.

He's ineligible for a regular redshirt on account of having already played in games this year. As for the medical redshirt, I doubt he'll get that either since he played a fair amount prior to the illness. Usually a guy can't see more than a game, maybe two, worth of action and still get one of these.

Orseske played in only the first two games. Hauden began in the Cal game.

I believe the medical redshirt rule is 20% or not quite 2 1/2 games I don't have a clue how it's figured.

I think it is actually 30% and they don't do fractions of games so a player is allowed to participate in 3 games and still receive a medical hardship.

Is Orseske still being bothered by mono? Usually it's 4 weeks before they can play again. Since he can still recieve a medical redshirt, there is no point in bringing him back even if he is healthy since Haudan is doing well. I'm guessing they'll say he's not ready to go to get the redshirt even if he is.

Is Orseske still being bothered by mono? Usually it's 4 weeks before they can play again. Since he can still recieve a medical redshirt, there is no point in bringing him back even if he is healthy since Haudan is doing well. I'm guessing they'll say he's not ready to go to get the redshirt even if he is.

He is fine now. He could have played in the Penn State game but the coaches decided to stick with Hauden and let Orseske redshirt.

I think it is actually 30% and they don't do fractions of games so a player is allowed to participate in 3 games and still receive a medical hardship.
I actually looked it up its 2 regularly scheduled contests or 20% whichever is larger in the first half of the season.

Did Orseke actually have spleen problems or were they just being overly cautious with him, maybe as a strategy to get the medical RS. He's a punter for chrissakes. We had a pole vauler that caught mono on our track team last year. Couldn't work out much but never missed a meet.

I think Gray shirts count against next years numbers which is the reason they don't start school until after the season ends.

Has anybody heard how Rengel's recovery went. I had him as my sleeper recruit, a kid that big and that fast seemed destined for LB stardom. But I wonder if the injury slowed him down. Two years without track and field or competition at his age makes me a little nervous.

What's the deal with that running back from TX who didn't qualify this year? We may need him. He reminds me of Gary Russell

I actually looked it up its 2 regularly scheduled contests or 20% whichever is larger in the first half of the season.

So what do they do with the .4?? round up or down? Or is it just a part of the puzzle that gets decided when they consider the app?

What's the deal with that running back from TX who didn't qualify this year? We may need him. He reminds me of Gary Russell

If you're talking about Lipscomb. He's in Juco this year. He is a RS to preserve a year of eligibility for when he goes to his eventual destination. After having talked to him he is still comitted to Minnesota and plans on being here asap. I think he's a little nervous about if there will still be room for him here, but knows he'll have no trouble finding a home if not.

It's still uncertain if he just needs to complete credits to come here or get his two year completed first. so when he'll show at the next level is still a bit of a mystery.

Did Orseke actually have spleen problems or were they just being overly cautious with him, maybe as a strategy to get the medical RS. He's a punter for chrissakes.

I don't think there's no way it was a move made in order to get him a redshirt - though I imagine you were being a little facetious in suggesting that. From all accounts, the staff has been pleasantly surprised (key word, surprised) by the play of Hauden. In addition, as someone who endured a spleen injury in high school that required removal, I can say that it's an intense organ to damage. Even if he's only punting, one guy bowling him over - say blocking downfield on a long return, running through him after a block, etc. - and that thing can be blown wide open. The internal bleeding with an injury like that is definitely life-threatening.

Ultimately, it's been a bit of a blessing. Orseke got to kick a little bit in D-1 games, but at the end of the day, still has four years to punt for the Gophers.

I'm really excited to get Searcy here. The more talented players, the better, when it comes to d-line. You can never have too much d-line depth, especially with the way Coach Cross likes to rotate in players. But it really seems like next year's D-line is going to have both depth and some serious young talent. The young guys who are red-shirting this year are really benefiting from being in the Gophers' strength and conditioning program. Both KGM and Hageman are becoming monsters in the weight room and are benching nearly 400 pounds. Garin is also bulking up, while still retaining his quickness. Hageman weighs a very solid 285 pounds now and, given his added size and strength, it appears he will be a 300-pounder by next year and will therefore be playing DT. Hopefully, Wilhite will also be able to put on some weight so that he can play in situations other than pure pass-rushing. All of those players will be freshmen or sophomores next year. Add in Jacobs, Edwards and Kirksey and you have the makings of a very strong unit.

Actually i was a little serious. i know mono is different for everyone. But is the absence of an enlarged spleen I don't think it's a real issue, although I'm not a doctor. i think they just watch for an enlarged spleen and if present you need to be careful. If not, it's just about the lack of energy and flu like symptoms. My thought is that given he most likely was out at least two games and hauden did a good job, why use up a year of eligibility for what looks to be a great punter when your teams best years are ahead of you? A great punter is hard to find. i for one, think it worked out very well for us. Maybe the coaching staff thinks the same thing, and went with it a bit.

Actually i was a little serious. i know mono is different for everyone. But is the absence of an enlarged spleen I don't think it's a real issue, although I'm not a doctor. i think they just watch for an enlarged spleen and if present you need to be careful. If not, it's just about the lack of energy and flu like symptoms. My thought is that given he most likely was out at least two games and hauden did a good job, why use up a year of eligibility for what looks to be a great punter when your teams best years are ahead of you? A great punter is hard to find. i for one, think it worked out very well for us. Maybe the coaching staff thinks the same thing, and went with it a bit.

It's a reasonable argument to make. Ultimately, we can all agree that it may be a blessing in disguise if it gets Orseke another full year of eligibility.

Did Orseke actually have spleen problems or were they just being overly cautious with him, maybe as a strategy to get the medical RS. He's a punter for chrissakes. We had a pole vauler that caught mono on our track team last year. Couldn't work out much but never missed a meet.

I think Gray shirts count against next years numbers which is the reason they don't start school until after the season ends.

Has anybody heard how Rengel's recovery went. I had him as my sleeper recruit, a kid that big and that fast seemed destined for LB stardom. But I wonder if the injury slowed him down. Two years without track and field or competition at his age makes me a little nervous.

Beyond the number of games played, Orseke should have a good chance of being granted a medical redshirt because he didn't redshirt as a freshman.

Regarding Orseke and mono, the reason most doctors will not clear someone to play football if they have mono is the spleen. If the spleen is significantly swollen and the player is struck in the abdominal region, It could immediately become a life and death situation. A defender going for the block or Dan coming up to make a tackle could have turned into a critical situation.

I have see KGM in games. I don't think he's a red-shirt.

Sorry, I missed this post. -
I don't think there's no way it was a move made in order to get him a redshirt - though I imagine you were being a little facetious in suggesting that. From all accounts, the staff has been pleasantly surprised (key word, surprised) by the play of Hauden. In addition, as someone who endured a spleen injury in high school that required removal, I can say that it's an intense organ to damage. Even if he's only punting, one guy bowling him over - say blocking downfield on a long return, running through him after a block, etc. - and that thing can be blown wide open. The internal bleeding with an injury like that is definitely life-threatening.
Ultimately, it's been a bit of a blessing. Orseke got to kick a little bit in D-1 games, but at the end of the day, still has four years to punt for the Gophers.

From Willie Burton: I'm really excited to get Searcy here. The more talented players, the better, when it comes to d-line. You can never have too much d-line depth, especially with the way Coach Cross likes to rotate in players. But it really seems like next year's D-line is going to have both depth and some serious young talent. The young guys who are red-shirting this year are really benefiting from being in the Gophers' strength and conditioning program. Both KGM and Hageman are becoming monsters in the weight room and are benching nearly 400 pounds. Garin is also bulking up, while still retaining his quickness. Hageman weighs a very solid 285 pounds now and, given his added size and strength, it appears he will be a 300-pounder by next year and will therefore be playing DT. Hopefully, Wilhite will also be able to put on some weight so that he can play in situations other than pure pass-rushing. All of those players will be freshmen or sophomores next year. Add in Jacobs, Edwards and Kirksey and you have the makings of a very strong unit.

I think you could add Eric Jacques to that group. I saw a little of him in the fall scrimmage/ stadium dry run and he looked like he could develop into a very good player.

I'm really excited to get Searcy here. The more talented players, the better, when it comes to d-line. You can never have too much d-line depth, especially with the way Coach Cross likes to rotate in players. But it really seems like next year's D-line is going to have both depth and some serious young talent. The young guys who are red-shirting this year are really benefiting from being in the Gophers' strength and conditioning program. Both KGM and Hageman are becoming monsters in the weight room and are benching nearly 400 pounds. Garin is also bulking up, while still retaining his quickness. Hageman weighs a very solid 285 pounds now and, given his added size and strength, it appears he will be a 300-pounder by next year and will therefore be playing DT. Hopefully, Wilhite will also be able to put on some weight so that he can play in situations other than pure pass-rushing. All of those players will be freshmen or sophomores next year. Add in Jacobs, Edwards and Kirksey and you have the makings of a very strong unit.

Hageman at D-Tackle? Hmm...I was looking forward to adding some athleticism to the D-end position.

So what do they do with the .4?? round up or down? Or is it just a part of the puzzle that gets decided when they consider the app?

I believe they count the whole game if you play one play. The frustrating thing about the NCAA is there's the way the rule is written and the way it's been interpreted. I only know the way the rule is written.

So is the rule two games or three then with 20% equal to 2.4?? Why is it so hard for the NCAA to write stuff that people can easily grasp. What the hell is wrong with just saying two games, or three games. Why 20%. Dummies. Think about it, if they for some odd reason play 11 games that's 2.2 games, 12 games is 2.4, and 13 is 2.6!! Why can't they just say two or three games? And these are suppose to be the smart people.

So is the rule two games or three then with 20% equal to 2.4?? Why is it so hard for the NCAA to write stuff that people can easily grasp. What the hell is wrong with just saying two games, or three games. Why 20%. Dummies. Think about it, if they for some odd reason play 11 games that's 2.2 games, 12 games is 2.4, and 13 is 2.6!! Why can't they just say two or three games? And these are suppose to be the smart people.
Because the rule is for all sports. How many basketball and hockey games are there.

So how tough is it to have some clarification. Does anybody know how they round? is 2.4 two games or three games? And does it even matter in this case. how many games did Orseke play? I'm thinking it was only the first two anyway wasn't it?

So how tough is it to have some clarification. Does anybody know how they round? is 2.4 two games or three games? And does it even matter in this case. how many games did Orseke play? I'm thinking it was only the first two anyway wasn't it?

And in Orseke's case, does it matter? I know he's supposed to be a solid punter, but how does he stack up against Kip (who I'm assuming will step in and be at least our placekicker as a freshman, and not eligible for a redshirt)?

makes you wonder doesn't it. There's a lot more to punting than a strong leg, but if he can negotiate the finer points it's hard to imagine him not punting.

Top Bottom