Recruiting

ncgo4

Reaction score
In the post game interview. Coach Kill said this win would be big for recruiting. He also implied that recruiting was going very well. In the past He has said that stories about who is going where aren't to be believed.

Finally, he has said that not going to a bowl game would be a good opportunity in the recruiting process, because the coaching staff will be able to concentrate on the evaluation process.

Really looking forward to what the new staff will come up with this year. What a change from the last few years when we didn't know who the coordinators would be or even, last year, who the head coach would be.

Go Gophers!

He says they will bring in 35 players. The process should be fun. About 68 days to go.

He said 35. I assume 25-28 will sign and the rest will walk-on. Kill doesn't refer to recruiting as just scholarship players.

I find Kill's statement very unKill like but....

35??? Gonna be some transfers/academic casualties to make that work

....he is talking about recruitining a lot of walk-ons. It should be intersting to see how all this works out but I personally don't believe it will happen.

I hope one is a punter. What has happened to Orseske? Need DT's and WR's who can catch.

I think Kill is going to really formalize the walk-on program at the U more than his predecessors. We have had a number of valuable walk-ons over the years. I just think Kill is going to try to take it up a notch ala Nebraska under Osborne.

I think they should bring in the Wayzata QB Nick Martin to be a punter. He kicked real well in the state champ game and would be a throwing threat as well.

I thought the 35 comment was made tounge-in-cheek, but I only read a transcript.

I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in 35 guys.

I think we will be able to bring in a full class of recruits. The writing is on the wall with some of the guys who are still currently listed on the roster. There is a portion of players who you would think you would see on the field, and are no where to be found. I think we will get to 25 in this class.
I also think we will be able to put 3 (I can't remember what the max is) guys back to last year's class.

28 + 7 preferred walk ons (Engel is already one of these guys).....sounds pretty good.

Kill brought in a few good preferred walk ons last season (Heifort, Schultz, Christensen, Trucilla). I don't know how good those players will be, but I said they are "good" walk ons because they all could have went elsewhere and we still had to "recruit" them to walk on. Heifort had a full ride to NDSU, Christensen could obviously have gotten a D2 offer (at least), Schultz and Trucilla came from other states (without reciprocity) to play at the U. Those guys could have walked on to just about any program in the country. We also went hard after that Glassgow kid who walked on at tOSU.
I expect to see a few talented kids walk on at the U. It's hard to walk on at a school without a good relationship with the coach (you have to believe him that these kids will have a chance), now that he's had time to build relationships...I think the walk on program will look good next season.

Does anyone have any insight specifically on which, if any Minnesota kids we might be looking to get to walk on? Dunbar from Prior Lake seems like it would make sense to have him walk on for multiple reasons, even though I havent heard or seen him play.

Top Bottom