Recruiting

mtgo4

Reaction score
I would think that this fiasco with White , and the way Bostick has been handled could turn off some recruits. It seems to me that once you get in Smith's doghouse there is no way out. Bostick looks like a deer in the headlights when he plays, afraid of making any mistakes.

This is a concern. He is going to have serious difficulties recruiting a "go to" scorer. And that is something this offense desperately needs.

I don't blame him for White, but he'll be stuck with the baggage on that one and it may hurt local recruiting. My opinion on Bostick is that he was mishandled - but I'm just a stupid fan with no way of proving it. He has talent- plenty of it. When he arrived he had the confidence to match. Not any more.

Look, I don't know how you can watch Devron Bostick play and say he has "talent-plenty of it", and I further don't comprehend how in the world the Royce thing could be a detriment in local recruiting, unless it's among friends of Royce. On Devron, it's clear to anybody who watches him play that he's not nearly as athletic as he was expected to be, and that he's a streaky shooter at best. In juco, he was able to get into the lane and hit shots. At this level, he hasn't shown that ability. Further, his defense and sometimes even his effort have been questionable. Personally, I'd like to see him play more because he brings rebounding and at least sometimes a bit of an offensive threat, as opposed to PC.

Look, I don't know how you can watch Devron Bostick play and say he has "talent-plenty of it", and I further don't comprehend how in the world the Royce thing could be a detriment in local recruiting, unless it's among friends of Royce. On Devron, it's clear to anybody who watches him play that he's not nearly as athletic as he was expected to be, and that he's a streaky shooter at best. In juco, he was able to get into the lane and hit shots. At this level, he hasn't shown that ability. Further, his defense and sometimes even his effort have been questionable. Personally, I'd like to see him play more because he brings rebounding and at least sometimes a bit of an offensive threat, as opposed to PC.

Well, the way the Royce White and Trevor situation was handled could have an impact on recruiting. It was reported that the term "A$$holes" was used by teammates to describe those who suspended them. Most likely was meant to refer to Maturi and perhaps also Tubby. After the way this season has gone, I think half the team is disgruntled (add Bostick, Nolen and Westbrook) and that doesn't help win over recruits. Royce was a vocal advocate for the Gophers and Tubby as he pushed Rodney Williams to join him and after what's happened to him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little bitter towards the U now.

I think Royce would have done better if he had gone elsewhere to go to school. Away from Minnesota he would probably been more involved with the team and less involved with his old friends. Media scrutiny would have been less. In hindsight it appears that Khalid made a good choice by going elsewhere.

Top Bottom