Recruiting Spectulations

DL65

Reaction score
Apparently Minnesota has four or five more slots to fill. Who might fill the slots is anyones guess. DT Nosa Eguae, as mentioned earlier, is a possibility and Ron Wingo has received an offer from the Gophers, and he still has one official visit available; reportedly Alabama, Minnesota or Oklahoma will get the last visit. Wingo is a longshot and probably will remain in the state of Missouri.

Nevertheless, I think we'll all be surprised by the last commitments. I've got a feeling, and only that, that Brewster will sway player(s) from their commitment(s) and pick up a recruit or two that was never listed as a possiblity on Rivals or Scout. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the final results.

In previous years, before Brewster, Minnesota would have only a handful of commitments at this time and the coaching staffs were racing around trying to fill their allotment on signing day.

Go Gophers!!

Let's try not lose any more in-state kids to the state of South Carolina. Good grief.

Get your head out of the sand. That's an easy soundbite, but no university keeps every in-state kid. We kept all but one, who said he just wanted to leave the state. Most of us have good friends (or ourselves) who just wanted to try something different. That should not be so hard to understand and to expect otherwise is ridiculous.

where is Mobley?

If he is academically unable to play at OSU, where is he? There are JUCO guys out there. We also need to remember Caurefal and Royston, could consider them as a new class. What is up with Cooper?

Get your head out of the sand. That's an easy soundbite, but no university keeps every in-state kid. We kept all but one, who said he just wanted to leave the state. Most of us have good friends (or ourselves) who just wanted to try something different. That should not be so hard to understand and to expect otherwise is ridiculous.
Look at the state of Florida. At least 3 of the Rivals Top 10 are leaving the state. 3 elite programs failed to keep those kids in state and people around here are mad because Brewster couldn't keep one kid here.

That's a great example. We could also look at the defections from Ohio to Michigan and Michigan to Ohio State each year. Adrian Peterson left Texas to go to Oklahoma. It happens everywhere, but people expect something different here. I coached at a local high school that had a large number of D1 recruits. They, or Wacker or Mason, were criticized for leaving. However, it usually had nothing to do with the coach or program, they just wanted to leave home and try something new.

Let's try not lose any more in-state kids to the state of South Carolina. Good grief.

Seriously now, he was never going to stay with the Gophers. From the start, he wanted to leave the state. More power to him. He is getting away from home to experience life.

This year's group of new players will likely make a greater impact on the team than last year's did. This has turned out to be an outstanding group of players. I am very happy with the class for many reasons - the number of outstanding Minnesota players and highly regarded Jucos to fill immediate needs (keeping fingers crossed that everyone makes it to school!) top the list.

Besides the fact that Brewster already has a better record then Mason in regards to keeping in state kids, the biggest difference is that Brewster is making a hugh effort to keep them. From all reports I heard concerning Mason, it is that he did not even try, giving way to the OS, Mich, ND and USC.

If he is academically unable to play at OSU, where is he? There are JUCO guys out there. We also need to remember Caurefal and Royston, could consider them as a new class. What is up with Cooper?

Did I miss something with Mobley? I was nearly certain that he was out this season with a shoulder injury, what's all of this talk about academic ineligibility?

DL65

Apparently Minnesota has four or five more slots to fill. Who might fill the slots is anyones guess. DT Nosa Eguae, as mentioned earlier, is a possibility and Ron Wingo has received an offer from the Gophers, and he still has one official visit available; reportedly Alabama, Minnesota or Oklahoma will get the last visit. Wingo is a longshot and probably will remain in the state of Missouri.

Nevertheless, I think we'll all be surprised by the last commitments. I've got a feeling, and only that, that Brewster will sway player(s) from their commitment(s) and pick up a recruit or two that was never listed as a possiblity on Rivals or Scout. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the final results.

In previous years, before Brewster, Minnesota would have only a handful of commitments at this time and the coaching staffs were racing around trying to fill their allotment on signing day.

Go Gophers!!

I've had a similar feeling for a few days now. Here's hoping......

Redshirts

Cooper is redshirting

Do we know any other actual redshirts? If a player doesn't play, is he a red-shirt, or does he have to actually be declared as a redshirt, like with the medicals?

Do we know any other actual redshirts? If a player doesn't play, is he a red-shirt, or does he have to actually be declared as a redshirt, like with the medicals?

Technically, there is no such thing as a "redshirt" - it's a term we use to keep track of eligibility, but the NCAA doesn't recognize it. Once a player starts in school, he has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Therefore, any player who doesn't play as a freshman now has 4 more years to complete four years of eligibility - in other words, he has "redshirted".

A medical redshirt is actually called a "medical hardship waiver" or something like that.

McNeal

Look on the bright side...at least he decommited from Michigan and will now be on a team that is not a rival or even in our conference. Could benefit us...

Thanks 2727Gopher

Technically, there is no such thing as a "redshirt" - it's a term we use to keep track of eligibility, but the NCAA doesn't recognize it. Once a player starts in school, he has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Therefore, any player who doesn't play as a freshman now has 4 more years to complete four years of eligibility - in other words, he has "redshirted".

A medical redshirt is actually called a "medical hardship waiver" or something like that.

Do we know who among this year's freshman qualify for "redshirt" as you have described? I know a few I never saw on the field, but that doesn't mean the didn't play.

Top Bottom