Recruiting right type of QBs?

gophers141

Reaction score
Mitch struggles throwing and apparently CS isn't an effective thrower either. Why don't we just recruit kids who can throw and aren't necessarily great speed guys.

I feel like our RBs and offensive line are effective enough where we would be better off with a sure armed QB who can hit open receivers. This is will be frustrating every year if we get excited about playmaker type recruits who will never be able to touch the ball anyways.

When we have so many threads talking about the same thing, when does it become a weave?

"Brick by Brick" might be the answer...

The blueprint might be in place but we don't quite yet have all the materials in hand?

Hoping this part of the metaphor holds long term.

Go Gophers! Beat the Horned Frogs!

Mitch struggles throwing and apparently CS isn't an effective thrower either. Why don't we just recruit kids who can throw and aren't necessarily great speed guys.

I feel like our RBs and offensive line are effective enough where we would be better off with a sure armed QB who can hit open receivers. This is will be frustrating every year if we get excited about playmaker type recruits who will never be able to touch the ball anyways.

CS5 has a 100% completion percentage. What more do yo want.

How do we know that Dr Jekill and Mr Lime were not out lookin for a JC QB or another QB in the off season? Maybe they were and it didn't work out so now they have to go with what they have. I am a documented 'Mitcheroo is not a Big Ten starting QB' member but I have enough sense to capitulate and just show up, cheer and buy beer!

Why don't we just recruit kids who can throw and aren't necessarily great speed guys.

Kill has. He's sitting as a third-sting walk on right now. I'd rather not see him burn his redshirt this year though.

As real offensive playmakers have their choice of universities to attend, the Gophers haven't been in a position to recruit them in most offensive playmaker positions yet. Kill first recruited under the radar bread and butter guys with the physical frames he could build into B1G players. First was the defense. Then the offensive line. As he built the running game…now we are able to pick the running backs we want more or less (prime example Edwards and JJ as playmakers). How could we get a great qb if we don't have wr and vice versa? How can we get a great qb if we don't have a great offensive line? Now that he is getting better quality wrs and tes and we have an established line, he is getting better quality qbs. We are getting playmakers…maxx, jj, and edwards….they're just young but we are starting to attract them one by one…imagine where we will be in 2 years…with Dominic, Croft and a couple of jr/sr. qbs?

My impression is that Kill has had some pretty dynamic and talented QBs in his previous two jobs.

Is it possible he has now unreasonably high expectations for that position?

He wants mobile guys who can attack you in multiple ways. Who doesn't?

I'm just wondering if he's maybe burning through people looking for his next Chandler Harnish--who may or may not be on the horizon any time soon.

This is speculative. But after four years of trying to find "your guy", maybe you have to ask yourself if you have the right criteria?

Top Bottom