Recruiting: Max Hooper (2011)

Reaction score
Edit: committed to Harvard. 10-26-10

Brewster Coach Smith says Minnesota will be back to visit Tharpe and Max Hooper. And.. Hooper will be visiting Minnesota this weekend (unofficial). He's a taller kid, 6'6"+ that can shoot... a Cali kid, taking an additional year at Brewster this year... Mater Dei HS... Gophers have seen him for awhile.. you may have seen him.. vs. Westchester and Reggie Murphy...

Max Hooper

Interesting, wouldn't have expected Minnesota to be too interested in him. Can definitely shoot, but will probably be about as multi-dimensional in college as Devan Bawinkel was for Iowa.

If you don't get a top PG for 2011, maybe you have Devoe move over (again) for his senior year and look for a shooter to help out...

Brewster Coach Smith says Minnesota will be back to visit Tharpe and Max Hooper. And.. Hooper will be visiting Minnesota this weekend (unofficial). He's a taller kid, 6'6"+ that can shoot... a Cali kid, taking an additional year at Brewster this year... Mater Dei HS... Gophers have seen him for awhile.. you may have seen him.. vs. Westchester and Reggie Murphy...

Max Hooper

I'd guess Ivy League for him. Superb outside shooter, #1 in his Calif HS class academically.

He'd be ideal for Princeton.

It's amazing how poor this outfit recruits. Never ready with a backup plan, always late out of the gate and never sign anyone early. Most Big Ten schools are working on filling 2012's right now, we'll get around to that in 2012. O.K fot time for you to haul out one of your tired mantras about Tubby's great recruiting history. Does Vince Taylor ever get out of the office?

It's amazing how poor this outfit recruits. Never ready with a backup plan, always late out of the gate and never sign anyone early. Most Big Ten schools are working on filling 2012's right now, we'll get around to that in 2012. O.K fot time for you to haul out one of your tired mantras about Tubby's great recruiting history. Does Vince Taylor ever get out of the office?

Gophers have 2 guards graduating. Coleman replacing Hoffarber and Tharpe or Andre Hollins replacing Nolen.

Gophers have 2 guards graduating. Coleman replacing Hoffarber and Tharpe or Andre Hollins replacing Nolen.

You're a dumb ass beyond belief.

FOT, it's always best to simply ignore Art/Mother

Max Hooper

So what are his drawbacks? Looks absolutely great in the video. Shoots the lights out from outside. Appears to create his own shot and his catch and shoot looks very smooth. 6'7 200lb SF. Runs the floor OK. Good academically.

Why is he a 2* 82 w/ only a Harvard interest?

So what are his drawbacks? Looks absolutely great in the video. Shoots the lights out from outside. Appears to create his own shot and his catch and shoot looks very smooth. 6'7 200lb SF. Runs the floor OK. Good academically.

Why is he a 2* 82 w/ only a Harvard interest?

I saw a fairly slow release with a little hitch in his jumper. 6'7" helps though with a slower release. He did hit the bottom of the net in almost all of those highlights though. I find it a little concerning in the multiple fast break finishes, he never threw it down. At 6'7", you've gotta be able to finish strong around the hoop.

I wonder what kind of connection he has with Tharpe.

Max Hooper

How is this guy any different from Oto?

How is this guy any different from Oto?

Oto is 6-8, 205 and plays 3 or 4 (both F) positions. He has international experience and is already 20 yrs old.

The young man from Calif is much thinner and plays 3 (WF). He's probably a better outside shooter than Oto.

Tharpe or Hollins replacing Nolen???? When did Hollins or Tharpe sign? Is that your prediction FOT? I don't see Tubby reeling either one of them in, do you?

Tharpe or Hollins replacing Nolen???? When did Hollins or Tharpe sign? Is that your prediction FOT? I don't see Tubby reeling either one of them in, do you?

No players can SIGN until November.

The other moron asked what the Gopher recruiting plans are.

Coleman 4 Hoffarber and Hollins or Tharpe 4 Nolen.

Max Hooper

Clipped:

... Former Valley Christian shooter deluxe Max Hooper just returned from an unofficial visit to Minnesota. Ryan James of the Rivals site Gopher Illustrated has ... Hooper quoted as Oakland, Harvard, Princeton, St. Mary's and Lehigh having offered at this point ...

I talked to Hooper at the game. He told me that Tubby Smith saw him at Brewster Academy when he was watching Naadir Tharpe and had what he called his "best ever shooting performance." Hooper is a good student with low to mid major offers, but would be a walk-on at Minnesota. He was a nice kid and his dad was in attendance as well.

Chris Monter

I talked to Hooper at the game. He told me that Tubby Smith saw him at Brewster Academy when he was watching Naadir Tharpe and had what he called his "best ever shooting performance." Hooper is a good student with low to mid major offers, but would be a walk-on at Minnesota. He was a nice kid and his dad was in attendance as well.

Chris Monter

I read an article that quoted the Brewster coach (also named Smith) about that shooting workout. Hooper reportedly hit 13 of 15 shots from 3-pt FG range that day. The Brewster coach Smith called it the best ever shooting performance by Brewster player.

Hooper was #1 in his HS class in Calif with 4.5+ GPA. He's Ivy League bound (or Stanford), I think.

I doubt he'll be a Gopher, walk-on or not.

2010 Pangos Camp Awards

2010 PANGOS ALL-AMERICAN CAMP AWARDS
(Selected by ESPNRISE.com)

Rafer Alston award (Best handle in open court): Myck Kabongo, Findlay Prep (Henderson, Nev.)
John Stockton award (Best handle in half court): Quinn Cook, DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.)
Stacey Augmon award (Best on-the-ball defender): Jevante Thompson, Irving (Irving, Texas)
Trent Tucker award (Best three-point shooter): Max Hooper, Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.)
Bill Russell award (Best shot blocker): Isaiah Austin, Grace Prep (Arlington, Texas)
Kevin Love award (Post interior passer): Keaton Miles, Lincoln (Dallas, Texas)
Scott Skiles award (Best perimeter passer): Naadir Tharpe, Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.)
Ronnie Fields award (Best dunker): Quddus Bello, Westchester Country Day (High Point, N.C.)
Kurt Rambis award (Hardest worker in the paint): Charles Mitchell, Wheeler (Marietta, Ga.)
Mario Elie award (pleasant surprise): Rosco Allen, Bishop Gorman (La Vegas, Nev.)
Lamar Odom award (not playing up to potential): Bradley Beal, Chaminade (St. Louis, Mo.)
Ralph Sampson award (not using god given talents): LaQuinton Ross, Life Center (Burlington, N.J.)
Schea Cotton Award (player who looks good in camp environment): Bello
Phil Ford award (player who would shine in more structured setting): Cook
Player who deserved to be in Top 50 game: Sharif Watson, Rowland (Rowland Heights, Calif.)
Best Top 50 who deserved to be in Top 25 game: Delonte Bishop Daniels, Word of God Academy

Top Bottom