Recruiting crystal ball?

Ole

Reaction score
As discussed we're likely to take 18-19 recruits this season unless spots open up before fall.

Summer camps will bring more offers/commitments, we've already got 4 commits

Any thoughts on how we fill the rest of our commit list?

I would think a few local kids will get camp offers
Larsen
Harden
Rallis
Herbert
That would mean we'd be at 8

FBT thinks Jamal Harbison and Drew Davis commit soon, 10
QB-Nelson
HB-Larsen
WR-McDonald
WR-Harbison
TE-Williams
DT-Harden
LB-Ballestros
LB-Rallis
LB-Davis
ATH/DB-Herbert

So 10 with 1 dback which we've heard we'll go up to 4, and no OL which I'd think we'd take 2-3 of
and no speedy DE's which seems like a need.
10+3 more DB's=
+ 2 OL could be Pirsig/Hayes/Keiler or others

15 without any DE's and only 3 skill offensive players, and not including Will Johnson or any of the big fish we've offered and would likely keep a place for

Say Johnson commits we'd be looking at 16 no DE's or top speed skill guys and 2-3 spots left for big fish to wait until close to signing day.

Hmmm, any thoughts? Maybe spells bad news for some of the local kids unless grayshirts or walk on offers are in order, I hope not.

Ole

As discussed we're likely to take 18-19 recruits this season unless spots open up before fall.

Summer camps will bring more offers/commitments, we've already got 4 commits

Any thoughts on how we fill the rest of our commit list?

I would think a few local kids will get camp offers
Larsen
Harden
Rallis
Herbert
That would mean we'd be at 8

FBT thinks Jamal Harbison and Drew Davis commit soon, 10
QB-Nelson
HB-Larsen
WR-McDonald
WR-Harbison
TE-Williams
DT-Harden
LB-Ballestros
LB-Rallis
LB-Davis
ATH/DB-Herbert

So 10 with 1 dback which we've heard we'll go up to 4, and no OL which I'd think we'd take 2-3 of
and no speedy DE's which seems like a need.
10+3 more DB's=
+ 2 OL could be Pirsig/Hayes/Keiler or others

15 without any DE's and only 3 skill offensive players, and not including Will Johnson or any of the big fish we've offered and would likely keep a place for

Say Johnson commits we'd be looking at 16 no DE's or top speed skill guys and 2-3 spots left for big fish to wait until close to signing day.

Hmmm, any thoughts? Maybe spells bad news for some of the local kids unless grayshirts or walk on offers are in order, I hope not.

You have defined the problem which gets only worse the following year when we will have only 12 plus slots available.

You have defined the problem which gets only worse the following year when we will have only 12 plus slots available.

The roster shows 21 jrs, how could we only have 12 schollys available? Did Brew do something that limits us this severely?

I can see us using 8 total schollys for DB & DL.

Could Mollberg come in to play another position? Or does he lose out simply due to numbers?

First, I think you have defined the problem.
Second, there will likely be local kids who would normally get a scholarship, not be able to get one this year due to numbers. Same next year.
There will be speed rushers in every class.
A couple of positions like WR are a disaster, there are mostly kids who just can not play BigTen ball at that position.
We don't have a shortage of bodies, we have a shortage of players that will take three years to fix if we recruit well.

Redbeard:

I really think Mollberg would likely have to come in as a walk on. I hope he considers it. He could possibly get a scholarship after the camp if he is an athletic freak (I don't know). He is a pretty big kid and if he is strong and fast, I suppose he could get offered. It sounds like we missed out on Ramacher, so if he could play H-Back...that's a possibility.

Yeah, we do sort of have a bizarre situation with upcoming scholarships.

It might end up costing some local kids spots. I am not sure if Larsen will get an offer. We are pretty loaded (numbers wise) at RB, so I imagine that we will probably only sign 1 RB. My guess is they are gambling on some big name guys at RB. It might also come down to whether they think Larsen would make a good safety. I, personally, hope to see Larsen get an offer and I would be perfectly fine with him being our only RB in this class, but that's just me.

We will also likely see a bit of attrition. I'm not saying that for any reason other than every college football program experiences some attrition and a lot of that comes from guys who see no light at the end of the tunnel on the depth chart.

Lastly, Kill also strongly pushes the walk on program. That could help us quite a bit if we can get some of these kids to walk on here instead of going to St. Johns/UMD or even one of the Dakota schools. That obviously isn't going to be for every kid, but if it's pushed, i'm sure some kids would prefer to give walking on in the Big 10 to be a good alternative.

The Bubble

The roster shows 21 jrs, how could we only have 12 schollys available? Did Brew do something that limits us this severely?

I can see us using 8 total schollys for DB & DL.

MV at the FBT blog site spent a lot of time discussing what he called "the bubble" in their 2013 recruiting year. He describes why it is going to occur and what the implications are. Unfortunately I tried search his site for the articles but had no luck. Maybe somebody else will have better luck than I did. Better yet ask MV himself at his site.

Could Mollberg come in to play another position? Or does he lose out simply due to numbers?

FBT was reporting that they were still pursuing Chicago Simeon QB Robert Gregory. Any chance Drake Michaelson or Charles Webb pick up offers and do most people think Larsen is better than Antonio Ford?

A few further thoughts:
If Larsen gets an offer, it could be as an athlete like David Cobb was. Get the kid here, see how he competes/fits at his preferred position and if he's not a 2 deep guy, move him somewhere where he'll help.

Same with the linebackers, including I think last years':Baudacco, Westerhaus, Matilus, etc could find themselves a 3rd string guy with a glaring need at DE unfufilled in 2-3 years, and put their hand on the ground as a RS Soph.

Kill is going to HAVE to sell grayshirts and walk on offers for awhile, and this "bubble" issue is also probably why they've been careful with schollie offers thusfar, only targeting big fish, or sure system guys they've known about for awhile.

I've got to think they saw a fit for some of the kids they signed late this year, and hopefully can develop some of them(Thompson, Cobb, Wells), they could have stashed scholarships if they had wanted to.

It's going to be interesting watching the well calculated offers and commitments over the next few months.

I think Charles Webb has a really good chance to get an offer.

Michaelson will be tough. I don't know how many more LBs we are looking to add. We had a big class last year, signed the kid from FL and have a couple offers out to some really high end prospects. Michaelson would be good enough most years to get an offer, he might have a tough time this year.

I don't know a ton about Ford. A lot of that depends upon if the new staff thinks that Larson will play somewhere other than RB. I'd guess we'd only have room for 1 RB. They both look pretty impressive.

Here is actually a decent article about Antonio Ford that came out a couple days ago.
http://www.faniq.com/article/The-Legend-of-Coon-Rapids-MN-RB-Antonio-Maurice-Ford-2351672

A few further thoughts:
If Larsen gets an offer, it could be as an athlete like David Cobb was. Get the kid here, see how he competes/fits at his preferred position and if he's not a 2 deep guy, move him somewhere where he'll help.

Same with the linebackers, including I think last years':Baudacco, Westerhaus, Matilus, etc could find themselves a 3rd string guy with a glaring need at DE unfufilled in 2-3 years, and put their hand on the ground as a RS Soph.

Kill is going to HAVE to sell grayshirts and walk on offers for awhile, and this "bubble" issue is also probably why they've been careful with schollie offers thusfar, only targeting big fish, or sure system guys they've known about for awhile.

I've got to think they saw a fit for some of the kids they signed late this year, and hopefully can develop some of them(Thompson, Cobb, Wells), they could have stashed scholarships if they had wanted to.

It's going to be interesting watching the well calculated offers and commitments over the next few months.

Good point Ole.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Larson.

As far as grayshirts, that'll probably be more next season as we wouldnt want to take on even more schollys that count against 2013's tiny class. But you're right, walk ons and gray shirts will be vital for that class.

Here is actually a decent article about Antonio Ford that came out a couple days ago.
http://www.faniq.com/article/The-Legend-of-Coon-Rapids-MN-RB-Antonio-Maurice-Ford-2351672

Couple things about that article:

1. Antonio Ford does not run a 4.5. He'd have offers from every major school in the country if he did, especially combined with his strength profile.

2. 22 reps at 225 equals a much higher max than 345. One or the other (likely both) of these figures is wrong.

1. Antonio Ford does not run a 4.5. He'd have offers from every major school in the country if he did, especially combined with his strength profile.

2. 22 reps at 225 equals a much higher max than 345. One or the other (likely both) of these figures is wrong.

Maybe he just has insane muscle endurance haha

Yeah, the article is full of some pretty outlandish measureables. I wouldn't be shocked if he was timed at 4.5 by hand, but we all know about the lack of accuracy in those.

My impression is that Limegrover likes to have different styles of runner on the team for different situations. Most of the backs we have now are not fast, not powerful, and not especially elusive. It seems this team needs either real power backs or speed backs, i.e. a real burner to have a full set of capabilities. Best I can tell neither of the local kids fit either profile. They are similar to most of the kids we have on the team now. If one of them turns out to be a Barber, where he is way tougher to tackle than his size or speed would predict, they probably will offer; if not I don't see how they can unless Larson can play SS.

I'd be surprised if Kill offered either instate RB this early. Scout.com is reporting only about a dozen offers given out by Kill to rbs that are still undecided. So I think he is trying to hook a big fish first. I do think this class needs a rb.

I'd be surprised if Kill offered either instate RB this early. Scout.com is reporting only about a dozen offers given out by Kill to rbs that are still undecided. So I think he is trying to hook a big fish first. I do think this class needs a rb.

Agreed-

let's hold out for a BIG fish to commit, we have enough decent talent at RB already--let's get a STUD in here.

Persig, Hayes are the Prios on the OL, but we are ok with what we have in place. If we don't get either find a good interior player and focus on the other side of the line. We desperately need DL (and DB talent), Kill and Co realize this and I'm confident will delvier.

If we sign Hayes, I don't think we'll know what his position will be until he is here (or even after his freshman year).

I do agree that neither Larson nor Ford are likely to get offers early unless they really impress at the camps.

One rep maxes become extremely inaccurate once 8-10 reps are exceeded. But 22 reps at 225 are NFL combine numbers. I think it would actually be 185 not 225. 185 for college, 225 for pros.

Top Bottom