Recruiting Class Predictions

Izatys98

Reaction score
Don't know if a similar thread has been started. If it's a repeat, my apologies.

What are the predictions on the board as to where this class ranks both nationally and relative to the rest of the B10? For simplicity sake, I'll suggest we use one service, Rivals, as the metric. Lots of variables but would also be interesting to know where these rankings need to be in the minds of the various factions here as to what would be a success and what would be less than acceptable. As of today, we're ranked 35th nationally and 6th in the B10 on Rivals.

This thread could be used much the same as the season record prediction thread has been used to gauge the "I said, they said" BS factor after the ink has dried on the commitments...

I would suggest that the "how's Brewster's classes compare to Mason's classes" argument has been beaten to death and we don't need to rehash it again. Let's focus on what this class means to us moving forward versus how it stacks up against our historical average.

I start it off with a prediction of a national ranking of no higher than 30 and we come in at either 5 or 6 in the B10 (barring a huge suprise the B10 ranking is probably a safe one). Given what I've learned from some of you as to the premium placed on large incoming recruiting classes, I would be disappointed by both. My rationale: We wouldn't be gaining on the upper tier B10 programs and we should expect more of the same on the field - beating the teams we should beat and the infrequent upset of a team we shouldn't beat...

Discuss.

I see the class coming in right where it is right now. Around 35th nationally sounds about right. I will predict we will land one more 'big' recruit, maybe someone we have listed now or maybe a surprise. I think Brewster will get one recruit to change his commitment to us near the end of the process. I think we sign somewhere from 26-28 commits, and 2 will not qualify. From the commits we have now, I can see us losing only one due to the season, and I think we end up getting a commitment from RobDonovan. As for Seantrel, as I believe it is a very long shot to get him, that will be the only way the rankings move up into the top 25 or somewhere around there. We will finish out with 4-4 star prospects, as Brewster will bring in a surprise for us. The big ten ranking will be right at 5th, as we probably will bring in more commits than other schools to bolster the rankings. As some of our unranked, unstarred players will be given stars eventually, I can see that influencing the rating as well.

My Predictions for the final 5-6 commits:
1. Nduka Onyeali-DE from Colorado: We need at least 1 more DE commit in this class
2. Malcolm Murray: JC Safety: We seem to need some immediate help in the Secondary, and Brewster likes taking commits from JC, so I see it as a given.
3. RobDonovan Lewis: CB from Louisiana: Brewster has a change in heart and accepts the commitment from RDL, realizes we could use all the CB help we can get.
4. Wendell Beckwith: DE from Lousiana: We get a commitment from one more DE to complete the class, and I see him accepting our offer.
5. Toby Durham: WR from Florida: We get one more commit from a Wide Receiver, seems to be a little more of a possession receiver, improves our receiving corps after a red shirt year.
Surprise Change: DB Jabari Price: Though he was commited to us first, and switched to NC, I see, in true Brewster tradition, a last minute switch from Jabari. Probably won't happen, but my possible surprise change.
Surprise Decommit: Marquise Hill: WR/Ath Mo: While again it probably won't happen, in a change of heart, Marquise decides to stay home and give Blaine Gabbert another target at Mizzou, while decommitting. This spot opens up a spot for another late commitment from a WR, possibly a late offer to Zach Vraa?

Dream: Seantrel Commits

I'm thinking around 30th. And probably 5th in the big ten close behind Iowa.

while that doesn't seem so good it really is. The reason why is because four classes plus redshirts make up a team. We've consistently recruited at this level since Brewsters arrival while other teams have been up and down. If you were to complile a ranking based on a four year cylcle you'd see a trend emerge that you'd be a bit happier about. Fourth is the best we're going to do until we're viewed as a legitimate conference threat.

I think we're a little too overly optimistic about just how big a jump a program can take. The next step isn't the OSU's of the world. It's the Iowa's and Wisconsin's. We are absolutely on target for that. Expecting more than that in one step is a bit unrealistic if you ask me. Once we attain that, then we can look towards the next step.

I see the class coming in right where it is right now. Around 35th nationally sounds about right. I will predict we will land one more 'big' recruit, maybe someone we have listed now or maybe a surprise. I think Brewster will get one recruit to change his commitment to us near the end of the process. I think we sign somewhere from 26-28 commits, and 2 will not qualify. From the commits we have now, I can see us losing only one due to the season, and I think we end up getting a commitment from RobDonovan. As for Seantrel, as I believe it is a very long shot to get him, that will be the only way the rankings move up into the top 25 or somewhere around there. We will finish out with 4-4 star prospects, as Brewster will bring in a surprise for us. The big ten ranking will be right at 5th, as we probably will bring in more commits than other schools to bolster the rankings. As some of our unranked, unstarred players will be given stars eventually, I can see that influencing the rating as well.

My Predictions for the final 5-6 commits:
1. Nduka Onyeali-DE from Colorado: We need at least 1 more DE commit in this class
2. Malcolm Murray: JC Safety: We seem to need some immediate help in the Secondary, and Brewster likes taking commits from JC, so I see it as a given.
3. RobDonovan Lewis: CB from Louisiana: Brewster has a change in heart and accepts the commitment from RDL, realizes we could use all the CB help we can get.
4. Wendell Beckwith: DE from Lousiana: We get a commitment from one more DE to complete the class, and I see him accepting our offer.
5. Toby Durham: WR from Florida: We get one more commit from a Wide Receiver, seems to be a little more of a possession receiver, improves our receiving corps after a red shirt year.
Surprise Change: DB Jabari Price: Though he was commited to us first, and switched to NC, I see, in true Brewster tradition, a last minute switch from Jabari. Probably won't happen, but my possible surprise change.
Surprise Decommit: Marquise Hill: WR/Ath Mo: While again it probably won't happen, in a change of heart, Marquise decides to stay home and give Blaine Gabbert another target at Mizzou, while decommitting. This spot opens up a spot for another late commitment from a WR, possibly a late offer to Zach Vraa?

Dream: Seantrel Commits

without gray shirting I think we're only looking at three more. We have two of last years grays gobbling up two of this years spots. I've never heard the definitive but I think we're looking at a class size of 26.

We are going to finish around 5th right next to iowa. Yes, right next to iowa.

The team that was 4th in the country for awhile and was close to going to the rose bowl.

Let that sink in for a minute.

If brew could ever get us over the top he would be scary good at recruiting. It's easier said than done.

I'm thinking around 30th. And probably 5th in the big ten close behind Iowa.

while that doesn't seem so good it really is. The reason why is because four classes plus redshirts make up a team. We've consistently recruited at this level since Brewsters arrival while other teams have been up and down. If you were to complile a ranking based on a four year cylcle you'd see a trend emerge that you'd be a bit happier about. Fourth is the best we're going to do until we're viewed as a legitimate conference threat.

I think we're a little too overly optimistic about just how big a jump a program can take. The next step isn't the OSU's of the world. It's the Iowa's and Wisconsin's. We are absolutely on target for that. Expecting more than that in one step is a bit unrealistic if you ask me. Once we attain that, then we can look towards the next step.

Points taken but I still think the B10 talent race question is open for debate. Question about the 4 year cycle. When does that cycle start on the offensive side of the equation? In your mind did the shift in philosophy start that cycle over with last year's class being year 1? Personally I believe it does and it's one of the biggest frustrations I have with how the last few years have played out.

I guess it depends on how compatible you think the first years spread recruits are with the new system. It's a mystery. Personally I think the only real athlete compromised by the shift was Gray. But Alipate is almost perfect. So for me I'm thinking it slows down the learning curve but not the talent impact. I'm expecting that if Fisch is capable, in 2011 the offense will be nearly caught up to where they would have been, which is about when the total recruiting efforts on field production should have been in full bloom anyway.

It hurts us next year, when we should have been starting to come into our own for sure.

Oh yeah, forgot about grey shirting, but still, with some of the people who won't qualify, I hope most of my predictions are still right.

Remaining offers (from my limited sources):

OT - Seantrel Henderson - 4* - Notre Dame, USC, Ohio St, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa

DT - Beau Allen - 3* - Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Stanford, Minnesota

DE - Nduka Onyeali - 3* - TCU, Arizona St, Syracuse, Minnesota

DB - Rob-Donovan Lewis - 3* - Minnesota, Miss St
DB - Brock Vereen - 3* - Minnesota, Stanford

LB - Kevin Kisseberth - 3* - Minnesota, Iowa St

WR - Toby Durham - 3* - Minnesota, Colorado St, E Carolina

RB - Marcus Murphy - 3* - Missouri, Tulsa, Iowa St
RB - Kenny Bell - 3* - Nebraska, Minnesota, Texas Tech
RB - Devon Wright - 3* - Minnesota, Rutgers

Top Bottom