Reasons I am still positive!

Sufugopherfan

Reaction score
1. The young players we have on our team! For anyone who has been around a college program you should know players are built. They don’t just walk through the doors ready to strap it on! Hopefully they have the athletic ability but they need time to catch up physically. The players that do are the exception, not the rule. Look at the last 2 years worth of top 100 recruits, the names that stick out are Barkley, Te’o, Pryor, Julio Jones, A.J. Green. Out of 200 players maybe a third are probably starting. Look at the weights of our current team coming out of high school compared to were they are now. I looked at Rivals, Scout, and ESPN to get as accurate as possible. For those of you negative Nelly’s who are going to spout out that the college program lies about height and weight, quit kidding yourself that the high school ones didn’t push it up either than, so let’s call it a wash! I think we are doing a great job of developing our younger players!!!

Upper classman. Ht. Wt Ht. Wt.
Kim Royston 5-11 175 5-11 193
Eric Decker 6-1 193 6-2 220
Adam Weber 6-2 200 6-3 221
Jay Thomas 6-0 180 6-0 209
S. Lawrence 6-1 205 6-1 221
Lee Campbell 6-3 220 6-3 246
Nate Triplett 6-3 220 6-3 247
Jon Hoese 6-2 200 6-2 233
J. Tow-Arnett 6-2 270 6-2 288
D.J. Burris 6-2 273 6-2 290
C. McKinley 6-6 245 6-6 282
M. Carufel 6-5 280 6-5 302
Matt Stomes 6-7 235 6-7 312
Barret Moen 6-2 260 6-4 282
Eric Small 6-2 275 6-2 306
Garrett Brown 6-2 286 6-2 310

Under classman
Brandon Green 6-0 167 6-0 183
Keanon Cooper 6-0 195 6-0 210
MarQueis Gray 6-4 204 6-4 222
S. Reeves 6-1 193 6-2 221
T. Stoudermire 5-10 163 5-10 183
D. Eskridge 5-11 181 5-10 198
Ryan Orton 6-4 270 6-4 296
Eric Lair 6-3 210 6-3 230
Brandon Kirksey 6-2 245 6-2 295
Anthony Jacobs 6-2 250 6-2 289

2. Next year we are going to be worse on defense because we basically say good bye to 7 or more starters on our defense. I am a huge Triplett, Campbell, Small, all of those guys fan, but to think that somebody can’t step in and do as well. Here is Triplett’s stat line from all of last year. 31 total tackles, 18 ua, 13 a, 1 sack, no int.. He has been lights out with little experience. I think we have somebody that can make the same type of progression. This year Kirksey is already putting up numbers as good as Brown and Jacobs is right were Small is stats wise. Plus was Sherels or Triplett getting the PT that Carter and Cooper have been getting when they were freshman. That is a vote of confidence in my book.

3. Schedule is tougher next year. WHY? O.K., USC probably going to kill us, compare them to Cal this year, chalk it up as a loss. Only non big ten game we should lose, so 3-1. Yes we have to travel to Wisconsin(never been, looking forward to tailgating there though), but we have Ohio State, Penn State(Clark, Royster, and Lb’s gone) and Iowa at home. Let’s say we go 2-2, so we are now 5-3. That leaves Northwestern, Purdue, Mich State, and Illinois, let’s say 3-1. So that puts the year at 8-4, even with a 3-1 with the other teams that 7-5. I think good enough.

4. Decker graduates!!! This one sucks the most, but now Weber or Gray will be forced to work with the other receivers who will have a whole year to work together.

Please feel free to verbally abuse me like you guys do to anybody else that is positive!

Positive? Right now I am numb.

Sorry, but I have difficulty envisioning next years squad at 8-4. Unless we somehow show up and go 3-1 the last four games, play Iowa close and more youngsters step up. If not, next year will look very questionable.

Weber is not the type of QB that can carry a team. With Decker gone, there are no top quality players on offense. We will do well to have an average running game next year. Maybe Gray will take over and be a great playmaker. Or Weber could finally settle in. But we don't know that.

At this point, I am not sure what our strength(s) will be going into next year. Special teams I suppose. But the last two games, we showed very little in that department.

We went into this year with a ton of question marks and thus far the answers have not been encouraging. Next year could be the same.

We went into this year with a ton of question marks and thus far the answers have not been encouraging. Next year could be the same.

Bayfield, you may be right...but consider another scenario...lets say that our skill players are about the same next year as this year. OUr defense fallls off a bit, but remains competitive.

I don't losing Decker will be the end of the world.

Imagine if our offensive line gets 2-3 new starters that actually know the system and can block with some consistency. Wills is 30lbs lighter and Carufel is about the same.

IF and that is a big IF we can hold status quo at offensive skill and defensive performance and improve our OL by 10-15%, I think this team is an 8-4 ball club next year.

If we don't improve our OL, we are no better than .500 and Brewster is gone after next season.

Just my opinion.

Expect big things from these guys next year on D. They dont have the experience but are more talented than the current starters.

Kirksey
Edwards
Jacobs
Hagemen
Garin
KGM
Maresh
Reeves
Cooper
Carter

I am more excited than worried for our D next year. One position of worry is still our secondary. Theret and Royston will be Seniors and almost 100% locks to start which I am not crazy about. Also, Collado or a Freshman will be our other starting CB....

"players are built"

So is character and discipline. Too many repeat mistakes.

Expect big things from these guys next year on D. They dont have the experience but are more talented than the current starters.
Kirksey
Edwards
Jacobs
Hagemen
Garin
KGM
Maresh
Reeves
Cooper
Carter

I am more excited than worried for our D next year. One position of worry is still our secondary. Theret and Royston will be Seniors and almost 100% locks to start which I am not crazy about. Also, Collado or a Freshman will be our other starting CB....

At this time, the only two who have shown the ability to make big plays are Cooper and Kirksey. Jacobs has had a few moments and Edwards has not been impressive. Carter has done very liitle. The rest haven't seen the field and will be very inexerienced. I hope they will be "game ready" and not rushed into service. I will reserve my judgement on the talent level of these untested players. Our best hope for a solid D could be 2011.

Top Bottom