Really pulling for Baylor & Tennessee tomorrow

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I admire and respect Tom Izzo and the Michigan St. program, and if they make it, I'll be happy that the Big 10 is represented especially under such adversity. However. . .

The idea of so much fresh blood in the Final Four is exciting to me. I'm making some assumptions without researching that Baylor and Butler have never been in the Final Four, I know this is the first time Tennessee has ever advanced to the Elite Eight, and I read tonight that WVU is making its first Final Four appearance since 1959. I already know the national media storylines will be 'no one will watch because the programs are unknown', but to have a fresh program crowned as national champ would be fun to watch.

Baylor yes - Tennesse no.

I always cheer for the Big 10 in the tourney - even Wisconsin.

I already know the national media storylines will be 'no one will watch because the programs are unknown', but to have a fresh program crowned as national champ would be fun to watch.
I could not agree more. If Duke can just lose now, I'll be perfectly content with whoever wins it all. I'm pulling heavily for Baylor tomorrow and hopefully next weekend, too.

But I do like Michigan State. Izzo's teams always play so well in March most years. I can't see them winning it all without Lucas though.

I'm making some assumptions without researching that Baylor and Butler have never been in the Final Four.

Baylor was in the Final Four in 1948 and 1950. Long, long time ago. Butler is indeed making its first appearance. That is exciting, for sure.

I admire and respect Tom Izzo and the Michigan St. program, and if they make it, I'll be happy that the Big 10 is represented especially under such adversity. However. . ..

I cannot go against the Big Ten, and I'm not a huge fan of TN, so I cannot root for the Vols. Go MSU.

I cannot go against the Big Ten, and I'm not a huge fan of TN, so I cannot root for the Vols. Go MSU.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Mich St this year. It was hard to root for them earlier but now I find myself thinking they represent the Big 10 so well. They're everything the conference is about. Great defense and physical basketball. But, since the incident at Tennessee, what Pearl has accomplished is amazing. I like Tenn in that if they could ever be semi disciplined you knew they go could far. This should be a great game today.

Frankly, a Final Four of Tennesee, Butler, Baylor and WVU is not good for college basketball. Everyone loves Cinderella, but if it's nothing but Cinderella, the ratings will take a big dive.

That said, I'm rooting for MSU and Baylor today.

I hate when gopher fans cheer for Bucky in the tourney. Don't they realize that when they do good in the tourney it hurts us on the recruiting front.

Frankly, a Final Four of Tennesee, Butler, Baylor and WVU is not good for college basketball. Everyone loves Cinderella, but if it's nothing but Cinderella, the ratings will take a big dive.

That said, I'm rooting for MSU and Baylor today.

Butler - Duke would be a huge draw. Butler would instantly gain about 50 million fans. I think you are right -all cinderella- not good. But David and Goliath would be huge.

Not since 1985. Go Baylor!!

I would argue it is good for basketball if the perennial powers are not always represented in the Final Four. It gives some other programs exposure to the rest of the country. Personally, I am unlikely to watch a Final Four that has one or more of the following teams: Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, and UCLA. These teams have been catered to by the media, getting unprecedented media exposure during the regular season for as long as I can remember. They also frequently get preferential seeding (Duke over West Virginia for a #1 seed this year?; someone tell me who they beat this year) and often play in their home state in the tournament, especially Duke and North Carolina.

Since 1986, at least 1 of the aforementioned programs have been in every Final Four that has been played. Here is the breakdown by year:

1986: Duke, Kansas
1987: Indiana
1988: Duke, Kansas
1989: Duke
1990: Duke
1991: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina
1992: Duke, Indiana
1993: Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina
1994: Duke
1995: North Carolina, UCLA
1996: Kentucky
1997: Kentucky, North Carolina
1998: Kentucky, North Carolina
1999: Duke
2000: North Carolina
2001: Duke
2002: Indiana, Kansas
2003: Kansas
2004: Duke
2005: North Carolina
2006: UCLA
2007: UCLA
2008: Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA
2009: North Carolina

300 plus Division 1 teams and 1 of the same 6 are in the Final Four every year! I think we could use a year or two of a little shake up in the Final Four. It would be a nice change and would get me to watch. I've seen the other teams enough.

The Probation Final Four

Can you imagine a Final Four involving Pearl, Drew, and Huggins? How many years before all of their wins for this postseason are vacated and Butler wins the championship by default? Good spot for Butler to be in. . .

I admire and respect Tom Izzo and the Michigan St. program, and if they make it, I'll be happy that the Big 10 is represented especially under such adversity. However. . .

The idea of so much fresh blood in the Final Four is exciting to me. I'm making some assumptions without researching that Baylor and Butler have never been in the Final Four, I know this is the first time Tennessee has ever advanced to the Elite Eight, and I read tonight that WVU is making its first Final Four appearance since 1959. I already know the national media storylines will be 'no one will watch because the programs are unknown', but to have a fresh program crowned as national champ would be fun to watch.

What do you mean?!?!?!? Look at how popular women's basketball is - huge ratings!! - with UConn and Tennessee owning the entire NCAA year in year out.

It was so refreshing to see UNC and UConn struggle this year (in mens basketball).

Alright, I´m pretty happy for Michigan State advancing. . .incredible program every March, so so tough. Represents the Big 10 so well.

Let´s go Baylor!

It's chasing rainbows but I'll take Mich. St. all the way. How can a Big Ten fan do anything else?

true gopher fans never ever want the badgers to win in anything.

I really just can't stand Duke.. Zoubek, Smith, Singler, Sheyer.. Just can't stand those guys. Respect them, yes. Like them, no. C'mon Bears

I've had a love/hate relationship with Mich St this year. It was hard to root for them earlier but now I find myself thinking they represent the Big 10 so well. They're everything the conference is about. Great defense and physical basketball. But, since the incident at Tennessee, what Pearl has accomplished is amazing. I like Tenn in that if they could ever be semi disciplined you knew they go could far. This should be a great game today.

I would have thought what Pearl accomplished was more amazing if he kicked more then 1 player off his team for the incident, but he let 3 of those guys back on the team. I like Bruce Pearl, but I was pleased to see MSU pull it out today. MSU had to deal with a ton of injuries and still got it done.

I don't usually get high and mighty about stuff like that as I like it when kids get a second chance, but I was annoyed that so many people were talking about the adversity Tennessee went through when most of those guys got pretty minimal suspensions.

Top Bottom