rb's - recruiting question

Reaction score
for the recruiting gurus on the board. are we going after any "big & beefy" types of rb's who are seniors in high school this year? i understand that hasan lipscomb (out of texas) seemed to fit that body mold, but obviously had some qualifying issues. basically, i would really like to see a gary russell or marion barber body type taking handoffs behind the line over the next couple seasons and hope we can land that style of runner this year or next, if he is not already on his way.

so........

a.) has anyone heard any news about hasan lipscomb making it into school next season?
b.) are the senior rb's we are going after right now of that body type?
c.) is that big rb from illinois (phillips?) that we got a commit from a senior this year? a junior?

A. lipscomb is red-shirting in community college right now, will play one year there next year and come to us a sophmore if he decides to stick to his commitment with us.

A. lipscomb is red-shirting in community college right now, will play one year there next year and come to us a sophmore if he decides to stick to his commitment with us.

thanks. can you help clarify the need to play one year there before heading back to a FBS school? is that a football move or an academic one that needs to be made in order to make it back to FBS?

thanks. can you help clarify the need to play one year there before heading back to a FBS school? is that a football move or an academic one that needs to be made in order to make it back to FBS?

I'm pretty sure that you cannot gain admittance to a 4 year BCS program until after you have completed two years of community college. I'm not sure if that is from an admittance standpoint or an NCAA rules standpoint but you need two years before you can go to a 4 year program. So if he decided to come back he would come back as a JUCO with three years. I know he is red-shirting because of a knee injury, too.

c. Junior, he has had character issues and may lose his scholly. As of now he is still committed though.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot gain admittance to a 4 year BCS program until after you have completed two years of community college. I'm not sure if that is from an admittance standpoint or an NCAA rules standpoint but you need two years before you can go to a 4 year program. So if he decided to come back he would come back as a JUCO with three years. I know he is red-shirting because of a knee injury, too.

That is correct and I believe its an academic issue though I'm not sure.

c. Junior, he has had character issues and may lose his scholly. As of now he is still committed though.

because he had a "little herb" (like 85% of high schoolers seem to do) he may lose his offer? is there any truth to that or is it just your personal speculation? i mean that seriously, not trying to be a smart-ass.

I'm not a guru but I do pay attention to recruiting. Both Lamonte Edwards and Donnell Kirkwood who will be for sure be coming in next year give me some hope. Lamonte might move to LB but Kirkwood is a beefy type RB I think you are looking for Bronko. We are hopefully going to get Josh Huff as well who is more of a speed, catching out of the backfield type RB. So between those three and Whaley someone should break out.

because he had a "little herb" (like 85% of high schoolers seem to do) he may lose his offer? is there any truth to that or is it just your personal speculation? i mean that seriously, not trying to be a smart-ass.

There was a lot of talk about it on the scout board awhile back, no one had any sources so it all is speculation at this point with Calvin Phillips.

Paul Carter came in as a Sophmore from a JUCO.

Paul Carter came in as a Sophmore from a JUCO.

He red-shirted freshman year than because it is not possible to come in after only one year in JUCO unless college BB has different rules.

Top Bottom