RB position

wait!what?

Reaction score
Do you think it will be a full season of Bennett and Eskridge running the ball for a grand total of less than 700yds combined? I do.
I want to blame the OL and the play calling but Whaley's got yds last year displayed that it might the person carrying the ball.

1) It's beyond obvious that Brewster has been grasping at everything he can to get a quality RB in here.
2) This tells me he is less-than-pleased with the status of his RB corps.
3) RB is probably the easiest position to transition into out of HS.
4) Ergo, if one of the freshman RBs doesn't step up and grab the bull by the horns this fall, I'll be shocked and disappointed.

Seems like a combination of a lot of problems to me: spotty OL play, bad offensive schemes, bad play calling, etc. Even so, Bennett and Eskridge won't be confused with Maroney and Barber any time soon. I don't think anyone can dispute that the offense was altogether bad last year.

Do you think it will be a full season of Bennett and Eskridge running the ball for a grand total of less than 700yds combined? I do.
I want to blame the OL and the play calling but Whaley's got yds last year displayed that it might the person carrying the ball.

Hmmm. A few thoughts.
I think we'll see better production from Bennett this year, Eskridge is a very average runner/receiver who I expect to be #2 back at the beginning of the year and #5 by the end of the year. Bennett was on pace for a great year in 08, he's a very underrated pass receiver and has better power than Eskridge.

I may be a crazy optimist, but we did run the ball well at times last year, namely Purdue and NW.
Our offensive scheme against NW last year was IMO the best all year, and really should have been a base offense we used the rest of the year, it was not and we struggled, but Whaley was used as a change up, Wright can play that role. I see Wright as a Whaley replacement/upgrade, hopefully without the nightclub nonsense.

If our big guys truly were banged up last year, and are now healthy with the RSFr competing with them, it all points to a better line, and a better running game.

I really wish I had seen Edwards play in person in HS, he was injured when I went to watch WDB play MV. If he has been working on his size and strength he could end up being the short yardage guy from day 1, and expanding his role as the season goes on.

Not sure where I read this, but basically it said that Coach Davis has a history of molding the Olinemen he coaches by year 2 into formidable players, I expect nothing less.

Yes, my hope is that by mid season Dave Lee is correctly pronouncing the first name of either Lamonte (lamontee or laymontay) or Devon (devin or devahn). My guess is that Brewster will not be as loyal to the Sr RBs as he is to Weber.
Doogie- if you read this give us a heads up on how to pronounce the 1st names of Lamonte or Devon.

The RB position will have plenty of quality competition this fall. I look for Bennett to be the starter at first, with Eskeridge as the initial backup; mainly due to experience. However, IMO we will have 3 high quality backs in Edwards, Wright, & Kirkwood that will push them for playing time. In fact, i believe Kirkwood may be the sleeper surprise who contibutes the most. This is, of course, based on the assumption that the O-line play will be vastly improved with the influx of the younger guys providing athletism and competition. I believe it will, especially with the new offensive scheme.:party:

Eskridge as good at RB as Bennett last season. Bennett is a better receiver, Eskridge is a better blocked. Bennett has more speed and power, Eskridge can actually find the hole on occasion. If either are playing, expect a meager running attack. In an ideal world, Eskridge would be a very solid #3 running back and Bennett would be used as only a third down back (unless the back is blocking).

1) It's beyond obvious that Brewster has been grasping at everything he can to get a quality RB in here.
2) This tells me he is less-than-pleased with the status of his RB corps.
3) RB is probably the easiest position to transition into out of HS.
4) Ergo, if one of the freshman RBs doesn't step up and grab the bull by the horns this fall, I'll be shocked and disappointed.

+1

This is absolutely true. RB is the easiest position for a true frosh to make an immediate impact. I think Devon Wright is gonna be that guy

The horror, we have a good defense and a poor running game.

Lots of competition this year at RB, definitely a good thing. Will be interesting if any of the frosh can make a big impact this year.

I can't believe our running game will be worse then it has been the last two years. We should be much improved but I think one of the new guys will take the bull by the horns. I also think the O-line will be significantly better this year.

Our QB play is what we need to be concerned about. If we cannot convert 3rd and four because our QB throws the ball out of bounds thirty yards down field....nothing matters....good D, good Rbs, good receivers or even good coaching.

The horror, we have a good defense and a poor running game.

A good defense? Based on what? The fact that nine of them didn't suck last year....I mean start.
Have any depth at DT?
Have a proven pass rusher?
Can any of the LBs tackle?
Got a cover corner?
Can Royston tackle Tolzien this year without ending up on his ass?

A good defense? Based on what? The fact that nine of them didn't suck last year....I mean start.
Have any depth at DT?
Got a cover corner?

Come back when you have a national championship, troll.

Have any depth at DT?
Got a cover corner?
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
DT Behind Edwards and Kirksey you have Jacobs and Ferguson. If you haven't heard of Ferguson it's because you weren't paying attention in the spring where he turned heads with his ability to neutralize double teams.
LB Check Tinsley's stats in the Iowa game. Rallis was a stud before breaking his leg and Cooper played well in spot substitution for Lawrence.
Cover corner Carter
This year Tolzien will have to worry about DEs not safeties.
Your only legitimate criticism is lack of a proven pass rusher. Wilhite showed some potential in games last year. Reports from the spring are that Hageman and KGM are progressing rapidly. At worst I see the defense as at least as good as last year.

Im optimistic about the D

I can't recall a time in my lifetime that we have had so many talented young players that have huge potential upside, on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball.

I know they have yet to prove anything, but how could any fan not be excited to watch these guys progress and play over the next 2-3 years.

K. Cooper
G. Tinsley
B. Beal
J. Edwards
B. Kirksey
R. Hageman
K. Gregory-Mcgee
M. Carter

I think the potential is there for a really solid D in the years to come. Time will tell.

I'm going to do something really zany for this site and comment on the coming season's Gopher offense after they've played at least one game. Regarding the past and why people might want to wait before throwing the 2010 offense into a can: 1) Watch the games again. OL was not the problem most of the time. 2) Watch the games again. Weber was not the problem most of the time, but gets psyched out when things don't go well and becomes part of the problem some of the time. 3)Watch the games again. RB's didn't run into the right hole (made by the supposedly incompetent OL) a lot of the time. Seldom do they take a hit and fall forward. Part of the problem nearly every game. 4) Fisch was the wrong guy and out of his league. Doesn't excuse Brewster for making yet another poor coaching staff selection, but he's also made some darn good ones. A big problem all year in every game and one that has likely been resolved with an experienced OC.

Have any depth at DT? some
Have a proven pass rusher? not really
Can any of the LBs tackle? yes
Got a cover corner? yes
Can Royston tackle Tolzien this year without ending up on his ass? maybe

A lot of young guys, so we'll see how it goes.

The offensive line was bad.

The offense last year was bad on many different levels. RB's not being overly talented, WR's not getting open, QB trying to learn yet another new offense, O-Line not playing well, and an OC who was in his first year. Not one area can be blamed for the overall down fall of this team last year but if one place effects the rest its the O-line. You can't watch games and say holes were opened and the running back missed them unless you have the playbook and the plays being called. You can watch every running play called last year and find open holes but if the play was supposed to be run through the A gap and the hole was in the C gap the line was not playing well. Our RBs were not great for sure but they would have gotten yards and points if holes were available to them.

The overall confusion of the offense was the biggest problem but not having great line play didnt help. I am hopefull the Gopher defense will be much improved this season even with all the new starters but the offense is still a huge concern. Yes we bring back a good number of starters but it reminds me of Purdue's defense a few years ago when they were the cool pick to shock the Big Ten because they had like 10 starters on defense back. If you talent stinks it doesnt matter how many are returning they are not that good. I just hope the Gophers understanding of the offense is better and that along with some key new players can make us a solid offensive team. Solid offense and an improved defense could get us 7 wins this season. If the offense is as bad as last year we are going to struggle to win 5 games.

The offense last year was bad on many different levels. RB's not being overly talented, WR's not getting open, QB trying to learn yet another new offense, O-Line not playing well, and an OC who was in his first year. Not one area can be blamed for the overall down fall of this team last year but if one place effects the rest its the O-line. You can't watch games and say holes were opened and the running back missed them unless you have the playbook and the plays being called. You can watch every running play called last year and find open holes but if the play was supposed to be run through the A gap and the hole was in the C gap the line was not playing well. Our RBs were not great for sure but they would have gotten yards and points if holes were available to them.

The overall confusion of the offense was the biggest problem but not having great line play didnt help. I am hopefull the Gopher defense will be much improved this season even with all the new starters but the offense is still a huge concern. Yes we bring back a good number of starters but it reminds me of Purdue's defense a few years ago when they were the cool pick to shock the Big Ten because they had like 10 starters on defense back. If you talent stinks it doesnt matter how many are returning they are not that good. I just hope the Gophers understanding of the offense is better and that along with some key new players can make us a solid offensive team. Solid offense and an improved defense could get us 7 wins this season. If the offense is as bad as last year we are going to struggle to win 5 games.

Right on wolf.

It's la mon taa, great kid, big, I believe he could play right away, but I would really like to see him in a year or so, I wouldn't be shocked if he was 6'2'' 225 or 230, he has a big frame and he can handle the extra weight. Powerful runner, punishing, he is still learning the game, and he could be really something one day. He has some athletic ability that makes your head turn for a kid that big.

If the QB is throwing the ball out of bounds 30 years down field on 3rd and 4, then perhaps that is a problem of playcalling. Maybe the new OC will try to get 5 yards on third and 4?

I thought last years team was actually pretty talented. I thought we underachieved by quite a bit. Our O-line was terrible when the year started but even that was mostly circumstantial as the big boy wasn't ready for prime time and got lit up by some pretty top tier DE's early. By the end of the year I thought our pass protection was actually pretty good. The run blocking?,, eh, not so much. But it's all building blocks. I expect to come into the year with solid pass protection and a better and developing run game. If you consider the YPC of any of our RB's last year they weren't as terrible as the team stat line makes it seem. And when you compare them against the same class (soph vs soph) they were actually pretty comparable. Our team stats were deeply affected by weber being sacked and chased so much early in the year. Webers stat line: 73 attemps -133 yds.

I guess what I am saying is that we don't have as far to go to be Ok as it might appear at first glance. I doubt we'll be on the top of the heap, but maybe not on the bottom either. Maybe with a OC that can maximize the skill set instead of minimize it we could be OK this year.

Top Bottom