Ranking Quarterback Rooms: Nebraska Football vs. the Big Ten (14. Minnesota Golden Gophers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Austin:

14. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Expected Starter: Max Brosmer
Admittedly, this pick could fly up the rankings. However, too many variables stack against Minnesota to comfortably fit the Gophers' new quarterback into an higher tier of the conference's best.

However, Max Brosmer - the New Hampshire graduate transfer - was already named a captain in the spring by his peers, and was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award as one of the nation's top players in the FCS last season.

The Wildcats relied on Brosmer's 56-14 touchdown-to-interception ratio over the past two seasons in their pass-first offense. How much more can he provide to a Gopher offense that finished 11th in the conference in passing yards? With last year's starter Athan Kailakmanis transferring, depth may be a concern as two freshmen sit behind Brosmer.

Go Gophers!!

Not sold on McNamara even when healthy. Van Dyke has skills but seeing talk he developed the yips, and he isn’t a great runner. Maybe Fickell will resurrect him in the gestational “Dairy Raid” attack. Raiola as a true freshman, yeah we’ll see. Very, very skeptical he’s going to be a mid- to top tier performer as a true freshman, at Nebraska. I suppose it could happen.

The rest, who can say either. Pretty much all new faces or in new places. Brosmer dinged for being an FCS player and I suppose that’s fair until we see him in a game.

The new Gophers passing attack is unproven. People will not give them credit yet.

14 is the floor. It's all up from there.

We will find out a lot about our passing attack this season.

1.) Is Max the stud we hope he is?
2.) Do our OC's know how to create a passing attack? - If Athan succeeds at Rutgers and this year is more of the same you better believe the pressure will be on them and how PJ hires OC coordinators.
3.) Assuming #1 is true - do our OC's have the ability to spread the ball around to TE and RB's in the passing attack?

Personally I think we have a top 5 QB, but if we finish at the bottom I think the pressure won't be on the QB position but the OC's and their ability to play call and coach up the position.

2.) Do our OC's know how to create a passing attack? - If Athan succeeds at Rutgers and this year is more of the same you better believe the pressure will be on them and how PJ hires OC coordinators.
3.) Assuming #1 is true - do our OC's have the ability to spread the ball around to TE and RB's in the passing attack?

Personally I think we have a top 5 QB, but if we finish at the bottom I think the pressure won't be on the QB position but the OC's and their ability to play call and coach up the position.
OC and QB coach. I want to see our QB's get noticeably better.

Has anyone here seen Max in person? How does his arm look? Does the ball jump out of his hand? We can talk about his leadership all we want, but until he can spray it around the field and hit some deep posts and deep outs, I don't care

4,) PJ lose the gum.

Max may be the answer but do we have the receiver corp to really make things happen? ( and notice I didn’t mention the Oline)

My opinion:

Fleck sees the passing game as a compliment to the running game. The running game is the backbone of the FleckBall offense, and always will be.

The Gopher passing attack under Fleck will never be about putting up big passing numbers.

That being said, I believe Fleck, just like us fans, saw last year's passing attack as unacceptable, borderline inept. I think improved QB play is the key, rather than a revamp of the offensive system.

The goal this year for the passing game will be greatly improved execution within the parameters of run-oriented attack.

Top Bottom