Rank the 2010 games

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I know that it is 6 months until our 1st Kickoff in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

At this point in time, here is how I would rank our schedule (easiest to hardest) - with each team's 2009 record in paranthesees:

12. South Dakota (5-5 FCS) (the easiest opponent in Brewster's tenure)
11. at Illinois (3-9) (they lost several key players)
10. Northern Illinois (7-6) (above avg MAC team... that says it all)
9. at Middle Tennessee State (10-3) (I think they're good, but early in the season favors us)
8. at Purdue (5-7) (could be vastly improved, but I think not yet)
7. Northwestern (8-5) (they lost a lot of players and we ALWAYS play them tough)
6. at Michigan State (6-7) (Personally, I think they're a program in decline)
5. at Wisconsin (10-3) (could be better than this, but we've played tham close recently)
4. Penn State (11-2) (lose some key players, but they're awefully deep and talented)
3. USC (9-4) (players skill/athleticism is awesome, but will they still be figuring themselves out?)
2. Iowa (11-2) (could be worse than this, but we could be in a late season swoon)
1. Ohio State (11-2)

We'll need some road wins and/or a big upset (something we haven't done since 2005) just to get to a bowl game again. If we lose to MTSU in the 1st game of the season, it might be awfully hard to claw our way back into the bowl picture. I know everyone thought 2009 was a killer schedule, but I had always thought that the 2009 schedule looked easier than 2010.

It's good our four toughest games are at home. It's bad a bunch of the potential toss-ups are away (Purdue, MSU, Wisconsin).

I'd agree with the rankings here.

12. South Dakota (5-5 FCS) Might be an opportunity to have a big comfy blowout
11. at Illinois (3-9) Program's a mess, though it was this year too.
10. Northern Illinois (7-6) Will be close, NIU has a solid coaching staff
9. at Middle Tennessee State (10-3) Physicality on O and Big Ten defense should prevail against a really speedy but still mid major team
8. at Purdue (5-7) I expect Purdue to be much improved this year, if we can shut down the run we'll be ok.
7. Northwestern (8-5) Losing Kafka and Wooten hurts them, well coached, but I expect them to take a step back this year.
6. at Michigan State (6-7) Great recruits coming through the pipeline here, toss up might lean against us on the road
5. at Wisconsin (10-3) My upset special, we've been close in every game under Brew, he gets the guys going for this one. I expect the defense to step up on the road and get us our big win.
4. Penn State (11-2) Always tough, deep, and talented. Maybe an opportunity to catch them sleeping against a perceived lesser opponent(aka Purdue hosting OSU this year)
3. USC (9-4) Big boys from out west come to town, tough one
2. Iowa (11-2) Late season game, talented, tough, and well coached. Homefield will help make this one a toss up
1. Ohio State (11-2) Pryor is coming into his own, getting comfortable with his receivers and his skill set. Gotta give them a rude welcome and punch them in the face early.

I know that it is 6 months until our 1st Kickoff in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

At this point in time, here is how I would rank our schedule (easiest to hardest) - with each team's 2009 record in paranthesees:

12. South Dakota (5-5 FCS) (the easiest opponent in Brewster's tenure)
11. at Illinois (3-9) (they lost several key players)
10. Northern Illinois (7-6) (above avg MAC team... that says it all)
9. at Middle Tennessee State (10-3) (I think they're good, but early in the season favors us)
8. at Purdue (5-7) (could be vastly improved, but I think not yet)
7. Northwestern (8-5) (they lost a lot of players and we ALWAYS play them tough)
6. at Michigan State (6-7) (Personally, I think they're a program in decline)
5. at Wisconsin (10-3) (could be better than this, but we've played them close recently)
4. Penn State (11-2) (lose some key players, but they're awfully deep and talented)
3. USC (9-4) (players skill/athleticism is awesome, but will they still be figuring themselves out?)
2. Iowa (11-2) (could be worse than this, but we could be in a late season swoon)
1. Ohio State (11-2)

We'll need some road wins and/or a big upset (something we haven't done since 2005) just to get to a bowl game again. If we lose to MTSU in the 1st game of the season, it might be awfully hard to claw our way back into the bowl picture. I know everyone thought 2009 was a killer schedule, but I had always thought that the 2009 schedule looked easier than 2010.

I agree with most of this, though I don't know if I can put Illinois that low, considering they beat us this year and that was at home. I like us at home against NU, I'd probably drop that a few. I think Penn State is a game we need to steal, I just don't think they'll be where they've been the last few years. USC is an obvious opportunity, hoping Lane Kiffin sucks it up initially. I just keep looking at this schedule like "Wow, we only play like two real cupcakes." This is gonna be a tough, but possibly extremely rewarding season.

12. Northern Illinois
11. South Dakota
10. at Middle Tennessee
9. at Illinois
8. at Michigan State
7. Northwestern
6. at Purdue
5. at Wisconsin
4. Iowa
3. Penn State
2. USC
1. Ohio State

I agree a lot with the original poster. I think there are three types of games for the Gophers again this year. The "gimmes", games 9-12 (which haven't always been as such), the need to play well to win games (4-8), and the long-shots (1-4).

That said, I put this list together considering which will be the most important games of the season. I'd gladly take a home win against Ohio State for a loss at Wisconsin, despite the rivalry.

We need to beat Penn State, USC, or Ohio State this season for it to be a success in my mind, even if we still finish with a 7-5, 6-6 type record.

12. South Dakota
11. Northern Illinois
10. at Middle Tennessee
9. Northwestern
8. at Illinois
7. at Purdue
6. at Michigan State
5. at Wisconsin
4. Iowa
3. Penn State
2. USC
1. Ohio State

Determining which games are the toughest is certainly subjective. The list looks pretty good.

I would add that if your 5th toughest game is going to be on the road, at a place where the Gophers have not won in more then 15 years, against a pre season top 10-15 team, that is one tough schedule.

12) South Dakota
11) Northern Illinois--(solid program, but far less talented than Middle Tennessee)

10) Middle Tennessee--(this is the non-conference game that has me the most nervous, they are very athletic at the skill positions and there's slim but real potential for a devastating soul crushing loss here). Hopefully the Gophers show domination on both sides of scrimmage in this one. I think this is the game that will show us fans whether the Gophers are vastly improved).

9) Illinois--The Gophers loss to the Illini was a bizarrely flukey game that the Gophers, despite a terrible performance, had to work hard to lose. This was largely due to the hangover after the surreal Michigan State win. I expect the Gophers to have a particular chip on their shoulder when they visit Champaign this year.

8) Purdue--Not buying them as good just yet. Robert Marve could be great but he hasn't taken a Big Ten snap. More importantly they graduated their entire secondary and have dire depth issues on the Defensive side of the ball. I'd look for Purdue to really put it together in 2011.

7) Michigan State--suspensions, chaos, loss of Blair White, truly horrific secondary play, issues on the O-line. Continued inability to surround Greg Jones with a unit to match his unique abilities.

6) Northwestern--The Northwestern Minnesota game has been wildly competitive for several years in a row now. This year two factors work in Minnesota's favor. Pat Fitzgerald's teams have limited athleticism, but he finds better and better ways to hide their deficiencies as the year goes on. Because of this Northwestern is much tougher to play later in the year (just ask Wisconsin or Iowa). Once again, this year Minnesota is the first truly athletic squad Northwestern will face. Used to weaker competition the Wildcats will be a step slow, but will ultimately make it a game into the 2nd half. Then the Gophers will shut the door. They have a new inexperienced QB as well (remember, Kafka had serious game experience coming into this season, as we all painfully recall). Look for MQ Gray to really shine here.

5)Penn State--Surprised? Penn State is a football factory, but they are looking at a big messy 3-5 man QB competition this spring. Worst of all for them, the QB best suited to succeed Darryl Clark running the 'Spread HD' is Robert Bolden--who isn't joining the team till summer. I predict a messy subpar by season for the Nittany Lions in 2010 complete with 3-4 different QBs taking snaps. Of all the possible 'Statement games' of 2010 Penn State at TCF will be the 'easiest'.

4) Wisconsin--The are going to be awfully good next year again with John Clay and all of that offense back. They'll score points, and lots of them. The good news? Last year the Badgers relied upon a defensive line that loses 3 starters including the unbelievable O'Brien Shofield. They also lose their top LB and S. The corners are shaky. It should be significantly easier to move the ball against the Badgers this year

3) USC--Lane Kiffin has never really shown the ability to coach. USC loses a ton of players, but will still have more talent than the Gophers at every position. With Monte Kiffin the USC D will be solid but remember that the back 7 will be young and likely mistake prone. Most importantly though Lane Kiffin is arrogant--and USC will likely absorb that mentality and won't take the Gophers seriously. I also think that during last year's Cal game the Gophers learned to deal with the nerves associated with playing a top non-conference team. Also, remember that Matt Barkley and Carroll had an especially tight bond, whereas Kiffin has consistently shown himself unwilling to trust his QB (albeit, often with good reason). If Barkley tosses a pick early, Kiffin might start running the ball nearly every play.

2) Iowa--let's face it, the Hawkeyes are nasty on Defense and sporadically explosive on offense. The good news is this is a rivalry game and it's being played in Minneapolis. Gophers NEED to win the TO battle and score a first half TD to win this game (just to get that monkey off the back of not scoring against Iowa).

1) Ohio State--I'm already declaring the Ohio State Buckeyes next year's National Champions. With Cam Heyward back they have the best and deepest D-line in college football. They are top 3 in the country in talent and TP had a Rose Bowl that forecasts a VY type season next year. It'll be nice to have the NT back in the Big Ten.

I predict 6-9 regular season wins, leaning towards 7. If the Gophers win 8 I'll be dancing on the rooftops. Remember, this is going to be one of the top 5-10 toughest schedules in the country.

Given the schedule, 7-8 regular season wins would be a major accomplishment next year. I hope we can all agree on that much.

Nice summary AhliBobwa! Can't see anything there to disagree with.

Who can top that?

AhliBobwa, new analyst guru...

Top Bottom