RandBall: Would Wolves have won 2004 NBA title if Sam Cassell hadn't been injured?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

A win over the Lakers would have set up an epic, bruising NBA Finals against Detroit — which won the championship in a surprising five games over the star-studded Lakers. The Wolves won both regular season meetings with Detroit, both by one point — 80-79 and 88-87. Cassell’s two free throws helped ice that second win.

“We still took that Lakers team to six without one of our most clutch performers. To still take them to six, when I had never played point guard in my life …” Hoiberg said. “After Derek Fisher took the ball from me in one of those first games, I started throwing it to Kevin (Garnett) and running to the corner and letting him initiate the offense. Sam was an All-Star for a reason that season. He was such a clutch player. To miss that piece, I think it cost us a championship.”

If the Wolves would have won a championship, maybe Latrell Sprewell would have signed a long-term extension instead of uttering his famous quote about feeding his family. Maybe Cassell’s follow-up season would have been better. Head coach Flip Saunders almost certainly wouldn’t have been fired midway through 2004-05, just 51 games (25-26 record) removed from winning a title.

Maybe the Wolves build a bridge to better future — and don’t end up trading Garnett a few years later?

At the very least, we would probably think about the Wolves differently right now — as a team that won it all instead of a team whose crowning achievement was a Game 7 win in the conference semifinals, as great as that game was.

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom