RandBall: Pettiness of Kirk Ferentz toward P.J. Fleck is part of college football's charm

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

That second notion seemed increasingly true when, with 19 seconds left in the game and the Gophers trailing 35-0, Ferentz used all three of his timeouts. I guess if I had to go back to Iowa I would want to linger in Minneapolis as long as possible, but again Ferentz was motivated by spite (and by the fact that Fleck had just called a timeout of his own as the Gophers frantically tried to avoid a shutout, which they did at least manage).

The money quote from Ferentz after the game: “They called a timeout, I guess to look at what we're doing and reconsider. So we just kind of wanted to make sure we got a good look at what they were doing. Figured we'd take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here.”

That’s 100% petty … and it’s exactly the kind of thing that makes college football rivalries great.

I would not want a friend to act like Ferentz did. I would not teach my kids to behave like that. In everyday life, we want to surround ourselves with good people and teach valuable lessons about sportsmanship.

But college football not real life.

Go Gophers!!

“I guess if I had to go back to Iowa I would want to linger in Minneapolis as long as possible”

Boom Roasted

Yeah college football really has a way of turning nothing into something. Kirk can do that if he wants and I don’t think anyone is really offended

Good article.

Except this game isn't a rivalry. You have to actually win games, for it to be a rivalry.

Examples of non-rivalries (games won since 1995):
Iowa - 7 games won out of 26 played
Wisconsin - will be 3 games won out of 26 played
Michigan - 2 games won out of 19 played

It seemed more inexplicable than petty.

Other team trying to score... get upset? Kirk is new to football or something?

I guarantee you Iowa would have wanted to score if the roles were reversed.

It seemed more inexplicable than petty.

Other team trying to score... get upset? Kirk is new to football or something?

I guarantee you Iowa would have wanted to score if the roles were reversed.
That’s pretty much exactly what happened in 2014. Minnesota kicked a field goal to take a 51-7 lead with 6 and a half minutes left in the 4th quarter, and then Iowa got the ball (and very nearly took a safety from what I recall), drove down the field, called a timeout with 21 seconds remaining in the game, and threw a touchdown pass on the next play and kicked the extra point to make it 51-14.

What an idiotic egotistical bastard that Kirk Ferentz is, trying to score points in a football game. Who does he think he is?

Good article.

Except this game isn't a rivalry. You have to actually win games, for it to be a rivalry.

Examples of non-rivalries (games won since 1995):
Iowa - 7 games won out of 26 played
Wisconsin - will be 3 games won out of 26 played
Michigan - 2 games won out of 19 played
By this standard Ohio State/Michigan, Army/Navy, Washington/Oregon, and Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are not rivalry games either, yet I bet most college football fans would consider those teams rivals.

By this standard Ohio State/Michigan, Army/Navy, Washington/Oregon, and Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are not rivalry games either, yet I bet most college football fans would consider those teams rivals.
More great examples of non-competitive "rivalry" games.

Army at least can get a pass as they'll be 4 out of the last 5 with this year's result (they'll win). Finally turning it around.

Oklahoma State at least had a run of 5 out of 8 over 1995-2002. They've won 2 since 2003. 89-18-7 overall, and about to go to 90 as OU will win this week too.

Michigan won 5 out of 6 over 1995-2000. Then 2 since 2001.

Washington won 4 out of 7 over 1996-2003. Then 2 since 2004. They have taken 2 out of the last 5, with the losses by 6 or fewer points.

That’s pretty much exactly what happened in 2014. Minnesota kicked a field goal to take a 51-7 lead with 6 and a half minutes left in the 4th quarter, and then Iowa got the ball (and very nearly took a safety from what I recall), drove down the field, called a timeout with 21 seconds remaining in the game, and threw a touchdown pass on the next play and kicked the extra point to make it 51-14.

What an idiotic egotistical bastard that Kirk Ferentz is, trying to score points in a football game. Who does he think he is?
Did he have his backup offense in the game???

If Fleck had the backup offense on the last drive, then I wouldn't fault him a single bit. That's the entire point.

You could try to claim that every offensive player will be back next year because of covid. But we know that's not likely true. Bateman gone for sure. Maybe Mo as well? OL seniors we don't know yet. Assuming Witham TE won't come back for a seventh year with the team. Ko Kieft would be a sixth year if he comes back.

Did he have his backup offense in the game???

If Fleck had the backup offense on the last drive, then I wouldn't fault him a single bit. That's the entire point.

You could try to claim that every offensive player will be back next year because of covid. But we know that's not likely true. Bateman gone for sure. Maybe Mo as well? OL seniors we don't know yet. Assuming Witham TE won't come back for a seventh year with the team. Ko Kieft would be a sixth year if he comes back.
Who cares who is in?

They're on the football team... they can play...

Fleck better pull out all the stops to score early vs Purdue or he will find himself in the same position of trying to stave off a shutout late. Go for it on all 4th downs. Do not attempt any field goals longer than 25 yards. Purdue could easily shut out the gophers on Friday unless we get creative.

Who cares who is in?

They're on the football team... they can play...
Adults were having a conversation. That was the discussion.

Don't be a child who wanders into the middle of it and wants to know what people are talking about.

Adults were having a conversation. That was the discussion.

Don't be a child who wanders into the middle of it and wants to know what people are talking about.

Yeah I'm done with you.

It was a straight up question I was asking sincerely.

You've gone downhill man, I don't know what it is but you used to be a good poster but it's like your account is just a twitter bot now with predictable acting out and insults.

Bye.

Some people seem to think that lying down and playing dead is the only option.

Fleck better pull out all the stops to score early vs Purdue or he will find himself in the same position of trying to stave off a shutout late. Go for it on all 4th downs. Do not attempt any field goals longer than 25 yards. Purdue could easily shut out the gophers on Friday unless we get creative.
Gophers played much better last year on Saturdays. Perhaps the scheduling is a problem. 🤔

In a game where you are leading by five touchdowns....sure. Get those backups in there. Unfortunately we have a lot of guys STARTING that need reps still.
Not on offense....

Tanner needed those reps? Mo? Bateman?

No need for you to respond. You've already laid out your belief on this 10x over, as have I.

Keep the ball away and score. We are the best offense they have seen this year. We can't have any turnovers, missed FG, and a bunch of penalties. This is a good match-up for Minnesota.

Not on offense....

Tanner needed those reps? Mo? Bateman?

No need for you to respond. You've already laid out your belief on this 10x over, as have I.

With Dunlap and Falelele out....the offensive line still hasn't clicked as a cohesive unit. And because of that....all aspects of the offense look off. I could buy the argument that Mo didn't need anymore carries. But Morgan has looked off this year....and is likely to be our starter next year. I don't see any problem with trying to boost his morale and trying to right the ship.

College football doesn't care if you win all your games or none of your games. You don't get a higher draft pick by being lousy. With only four games in....I'd still like to think that they'll get something working so that we can win a few more games this year.

Top Bottom