Rachel Banhame Named B1G Player of the Year

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022916aac.html

Golden Gophers senior Rachel Banham has been chosen as the Big Ten Player of the Year by both conference coaches and media. The guard from Lakeville, Minnesota, was a unanimous All-Big Ten First Team selection.

Sophomore Carlie Wagner earned a place on both voting panels' All-Big Ten Second Team rosters. Senior Shayne Mullaney is the Gophers' sportsmanship honoree.

Minnesota has claimed a conference player of the year award two years in a row, as Amanda Zahui B. was the media's choice last season. Banham is the Gophers' fifth Big Ten Player of the Year overall. This is her third time earning all-conference first-team recognition

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022916aac.html

Golden Gophers senior Rachel Banham has been chosen as the Big Ten Player of the Year by both conference coaches and media. The guard from Lakeville, Minnesota, was a unanimous All-Big Ten First Team selection.

Sophomore Carlie Wagner earned a place on both voting panels' All-Big Ten Second Team rosters. Senior Shayne Mullaney is the Gophers' sportsmanship honoree.

Minnesota has claimed a conference player of the year award two years in a row, as Amanda Zahui B. was the media's choice last season. Banham is the Gophers' fifth Big Ten Player of the Year overall. This is her third time earning all-conference first-team recognition

I hope this is the first of many deserving awards for her. They need to make a run and she should top the 3K mark. She has been a joy and honor to watch over the past 5 years. I hope we get to the point where our super stars have more talent around them to compete at the higher level. I will also always admire her for her positive attitude and good sportsmanship unlike some of the other top players.

By my count, she needs 18 points to hit 3,000. She'll get it in the first game of the BBT. Only question is where she'll finish on the list of 10 (soon to be 11) women to score 3,000 or more.

#10 - Cindy Blodgett - 3,005
#9 - Cheryl Miller - 3,018
#8 - Chamique Holdsclaw - 3,025
#7 - Maya Moore - 3,036
#6 - Elena Delle Donne - 3,039
#5 - Jerica Coley - 3,107
#4 - Lorri Bauman - 3,115
#3 - Patricia Hoskins - 3,122
#2 - Brittney Griner - 3,283
#1 - Jackie Stiles - 3,393

Rachel will play at least 2 more games. That would give her a good shot at #6 on the list. If the Gopher can win at least one game in the BBT and 1 game in NCAA/NIT, she will have a shot at #3 on the list. Gopher would need to make a serious run in both the BBT and NCAA/NIT for her to be NCAA scoring queen.

Still can't figure out why first team has 10 players and second team 10 players.

Well deserved. Great job!

She is the silver lining in this week's cloud! Thanks Rachel!!!

A joy to watch on the court. Loves the game and appears truly humble. Makes a great image and example in teaching too.

Huge congrats to Rachel, her scoring this year has been absolutely mind boggling.

Congrats to Wagner and Mullaney as well!

Well someone needs to ask the question.....

Rachel has never played in an ncaa tournament(which is sad)..BUT she would have a better chance to go on a run and move up the scoring leaderboard with an NIT bid.

Which is better?:)

Rachel has never played in an ncaa tournament(which is sad)..BUT she would have a better chance to go on a run and move up the scoring leaderboard with an NIT bid.

NCAA without any question. I am 99% certain she would say that, too.

From every way she comes across I've got to say NCAA. Just a credit to the U and so much fun to watch.

From every way she comes across I've got to say NCAA. Just a credit to the U and so much fun to watch.

To be clear, I'm sure she would rather be ncaa.........kind of thinking about fans at the same time.

The NCAA's would help her draft stock, her legacy.... just everything. The scoring record already has a footnote because she's a fifth year senior who had an extra ten games. If the career scoring ranking is so important, she can just do it on the NCAA side.

The NCAA's would help her draft stock, her legacy.... just everything. The scoring record already has a footnote because she's a fifth year senior who had an extra ten games. If the career scoring ranking is so important, she can just do it on the NCAA side.

And how many players on that list played more games because their teams had much longer tournament runs?

I'm not trying to argue either way...just throwing it out there.

Top Bottom