R U Seeing Any Shortages?

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score
Other than a lack of brain cells over here on the OTB, are you seeing any shortages, as in something gone missing from store shelves? I'm not really seeing any shortages here in MN (unlike Austin Texas, where Home Depot is having a tough time keeping their shelves stocked), but prices here do seem to be going up a lot.
You only need to drive by a new car dealership to see shortages. Lots are half empty at best.

scools12

Reaction score
Did they get a flyer on their door with a list of goodies? They are fleeing a shit hole. Your assumption they are somhow work shy is based on what?
Based on leftists rhetoric of all they free stuff they promised will be handed out. They somehow got the word the border is wide open you don’t think they haven’t heard about they free stuff they’ve been promised too?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
This goes down the rabbit hole beeg lives in. It supposes there exists a cabal of academic elites, and they somehow have control over the government, and our elected representives abdicate to university Presidents so they can have world control.
I'd say industry is very well represented in government--so much so, that I think they are more influential in the Democratic party than the Republican, as the parties are formed now. Joe from Delaware is the epitome of a corporate prop--Kind of like all the fortune 500 companies chartered in Delaware but whose real presence is a file drawer.
It's not a cabal. You people use these words to make it sound like it's lurking in the shadows.

The following people were former professors: Kamala Harris, Barack Obama, Elizabeth Warren, Bill Clinton, Hilary Clinton, Justin Trudeau. I'm sure countless others.

I never said that industry wasn't represented. You asked me how academic elites can win over Capitalism, they do it through politics. It's also how many members of various industries rule over capitalism.

I'm not advocating for crony-capitalism where the government helps/hurts select groups of companies either. I'm arguing that interest groups, including academic, use government to win over Capitalism (and freedom).

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I agree Hispanic immigrants are hardworking.

The idea that there are 1000s under a bridge because they’re all looking for a job is ridiculous.
no proof, as usual Fools! At least you're consistent!!

Last edited:

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Your point, That somehow these 20 year olds are getting all this money from the government and that's why they aren't working. Its complete bs, a 20 something don't get shit from the government.
LOL. Have you been awake the last year?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
The idea that there are 1000s willing to live in their own feces in a puddle to get an EBT card and live in Cedar Square West is just as nuts. We have a higher percentage of native born gold bricks than economic migrants looking for a handout.
At some point, we are going to have to square the labor shortage with immigration policy.
Of course that's true, but that's how it should be.

This is like seeing a neighbor kid stealing money out of your wallet and your wife saying "yeah, but our kids cost us more money." The American poor are OUR problem and should be OUR priority.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Did they get a flyer on their door with a list of goodies? They are fleeing a shit hole. Your assumption they are somhow work shy is based on what?

Hey, let's be careful of our characterization of other countries. Trump called these countries shitholes and the media went ballistic for months. So did some of the fair folks who post on this very messageboard.

Angry

Reaction score
Oil is another example. When prices went negative last year, it forced lots of production to go offline. Oil wells cannot just be turned off and on, they don't work that way, if they did we would be producing as much oil in this country as we were in 2019, but we aren't.
Partial credit. The Bakken oil fields don’t stay open long under 60$ per barrel but it’s been over that benchmark for over 8 months. This has much more to do with labor.

Angry

Reaction score
I agree Hispanic immigrants are hardworking.

The idea that there are 1000s under a bridge because they’re all looking for a job is ridiculous.
Not the skilled workers we need either.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Of course that's true, but that's how it should be.

This is like seeing a neighbor kid stealing money out of your wallet and your wife saying "yeah, but our kids cost us more money." The American poor are OUR problem and should be OUR priority.
Or, it's like saying, "let's have the cost of labor skyrocket until people so far unwilling to work suddenly find religion", while people who might be willing to do the work live in a puddle.

Wally

Reaction score
You only need to drive by a new car dealership to see shortages. Lots are half empty at best.
Semiconductor shortage.
When auto manufacturing shutdown all the chipmakers shifted to making chips for phones computers and electronics...
Most chips in cars are 30 year old technology and chipmakers are reluctant to produce outdated garbage.

Look at Tesla, they adapted to use the available chips on their cars, legacy markers haven't. I think the legacy makers are actually happy about this situation and not in a hurry to fix it. They are drunk on their pricing power.

Angry

Reaction score
We've already had sawmills and truck drivers mentioned. That doesn't require a four year degree.
Skilled manufacturing seems to be the bigger problem. I doubt any of those under the bridge are skilled/ license to be a truck driver. Probably because of to many government regulations am I right?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Or, it's like saying, "let's have the cost of labor skyrocket until people so far unwilling to work suddenly find religion", while people who might be willing to do the work live in a puddle.
It's not like that.

But I am all for market induced wage increases. The religion can only be found though if we also cut the safety nets.

Angry

Reaction score
Semiconductor shortage.
When auto manufacturing shutdown all the chipmakers shifted to making chips for phones computers and electronics...
Most chips in cars are 30 year old technology and chipmakers are reluctant to produce outdated garbage.

Look at Tesla, they adapted to use the available chips on their cars, legacy markers haven't. I think the legacy makers are actually happy about this situation and not in a hurry to fix it. They are drunk on their pricing power.
Semiconductor shortages has been long running. I don’t blame that problem entirely on this administration. It’s the main reason I work in that industry. The problem is it’s much harder for a business to get a semiconductor ISO than it is say a medical ISO (you know shit that actually goes in your body) just need government to get out of way. I’m sure Mr Magoo will bring uhge deregulation.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Skilled manufacturing seems to be the bigger problem. I doubt any of those under the bridge are skilled/ license to be a truck driver. Probably because of to many government regulations am I right?
Chicken and egg. Where are the skilled workers going to come from? Perhaps we train the folks making sandwiches to make widgets, and have the economic migrants make sandwiches. At some point, the pool must grow in numbers.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Why do we need people with 4 year degrees? We have those, we pay them to stay home. I don't see how a Lesbian Studies major is going to solve the shortage.
I didn't say we needed them. I pointed out sawyers and truck drivers don't need 4 year degrees, but it wasn't intended to be an inclusive list.

Angry

Reaction score
Chicken and egg. Where are the skilled workers going to come from? Perhaps we train the folks making sandwiches to make widgets, and have the economic migrants make sandwiches. At some point, the pool must grow in numbers.
Or just merit based immigration. Problem solved.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Unless we are okay with our economy shrinking in a very aggressive way, I'm open to more migration. Make it easier to become a citizen after a 3-5 probation period. Still against illegal immigration, but their needs to become fewer barriers to becoming a legal citizen.

Baby boomers dying is going to take away a lot of consumers.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Unless we are okay with our economy shrinking in a very aggressive way, I'm open to more migration. Make it easier to become a citizen after a 3-5 probation period. Still against illegal immigration, but their needs to become fewer barriers to becoming a legal citizen.

Baby boomers dying is going to take away a lot of consumers.
This.

Nax5

Reaction score
Why do we need people with 4 year degrees? We have those, we pay them to stay home. I don't see how a Lesbian Studies major is going to solve the shortage.
Need more software engineers. Truck driving is being automated.

Blizzard

Reaction score

Not saying you in particular but people are so GD strange in what they think. Long haul, cross country on roads build specifically for that purpose - sure. Everything else? All goods move via truck. All of them. City, road, cross country and we may be able to automate driving in some form but how about loading and unloading. We'll need I Robot type smart robots for that kind of stuff. Repair, fuel, and so on and so on.

Angry

Reaction score
The same thing has been said about automation for the last 100+ years and always wrong. Only the job will change. You will just have a technician/ security onboard. Do you really think companies would allow loads unprotected let alone 300k trucks. With new tech you always need people to fix troubleshoot problems. The only benefit to automation in truck driving is hopefully safer more reliable movement of goods.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
It will all be controlled in a control room with one man and one dog. The man is there to feed the dog, and the dog is trained to bite the man if he touches anything.

Angry

Reaction score
It will all be controlled in a control room with one man and one dog. The man is there to feed the dog, and the dog is trained to bite the man if he touches anything.
I hope the dog has a better compensation package in that scenario.

Top Bottom