R & D - Recruit and Develop

That's my line.

You said he started right away. When really, he didn't. And then he didn't even start the bowl game that season.

But in any event, comparing Gray to Pryor isn't that fair. I think Pryor was more talented coming out of high school and also didn't have to sit out a couple seasons like Gray did.

But don't let any of that get in the way of your indictment of Brewster's lack of developing players based off of one specific player.

The real test of Brewster's development of players has yet to be. This season will be the first that a lot of the talent he's collected and developed will actually see the field. Better to revisit this topic a year or two from now (if he gets the time).

Not to pick nits (actually, that's exactly what it is), but Gray was rated #112 by Rivals, Gjere #161. There's also no question as to which was the more "high-profile" recruit.

As much as most of us bemoan his lack of impact (more as a result of opportunity than ability) thus far, there is no question that Gray is Brewster's signature recruit.

I agree, but Coach Brewster and his staff are compiling more and more high end guys to the Roster each year. Gray will do just fine once he is given a true chance to grab the reins and lead the team. We all know that football is the ultimate team sport and we consequently need much more than Gray to put us over the top. Fortunately, the Staff have brought in more playmakers since Gray: Cooper, Carter, Allen, Carpenter? etc. Actually, its usually the steals that help make big changes in your program from guys like: McNight, Stoudemire, Watkins, Wilhite, Michel and Lewis.

For the development part of "R&D", I have been very impressed with the improvement in the Gophers strength and conditioning under Brewster (and specifically coach Hill). I follow the NFL draft very closely and Gopher pro day was full of very unimpressive performances under the previoius regime. This year Lawrence, Sherels, Nick Tow Arnett, Barrett Moen, and Nate Tripplett all had very good workout numbers. As was already mentioned in this thread a number of Gophers got contracts as college free agents and this was after the deepest draft in at least 5 years.

Obviously, producing stronger and faster players is only part of the battle as technique and intelligence go a long way in determining a players success too.

I think one of the underrated storylines of 2010 will be what type of success the staff has recruiting. I think most of us were surprised to see recruiting take a step back in the first year of the new stadium. Will recruiting improve with Brewster's job status in some question? (nobody can argue that it is in some question...hoping to avoid a topic switch here)

Nope. Unless Weber gets hurt or totally collapses, he starts all 12 games.

What is it with some of you people? Do you need to be ultra-assertive to the extreme in order to believe your own statements? This kind of attempt at a one-sided conversation is akin to "period", or "enough said", or "end of discussion." Each of these seems a desperate ploy to elevate its user to a position of absolute authority.

The truth likely is that you have no better idea than anyone else who will start all 12 games. I've said several times in other threads that IMO Weber will get an opportunity to play his senior year and IF he fails and IF another QB is ready to get a shot the leash will be shorter than in the past, perhaps surprisingly so.

Obviously you disagree. If you have more than opinion to back up that statement now would be a good time to have at it.

What is it with some of you people? Do you need to be ultra-assertive to the extreme in order to believe your own statements? This kind of attempt at a one-sided conversation is akin to "period", or "enough said", or "end of discussion." Each of these seems a desperate ploy to elevate its user to a position of absolute authority.

Or "This guy gets it!" I always laugh when I see that.

Top Bottom