Quick Pulley Rundown

jmag21

Reaction score
Went to the Pulley playoffs last night. It was packed. I missed the first half of the Mbakwe v. the Frosh game, but I caught the rest. Here are some quick thoughts.

-It was nice to run into some fellow Gopherholers.

- Andre Hollins is very quick, and his jumper looks very smooth. He was shooting it more than usual, and it was going in. At the end of the game, when it was no longer in doubt, he was going for some big time dunks. His ups are absolutely insane, and he's fun to watch. However, Diggs and Rundles and Ohnstad did a pretty good job of staying in front of him in the half court sets. He still needs to work a lot on his court vision, but he's good at making the passes when he sees them. Plus, he's obviously working very hard on his distribution. And his D was pretty good (when he was trying).

- Joe looked better. His turnaround J was pretty money this time, but his ordinary jumper was still off, and he still looks for his shot way too much, to the extent of cherry-picking sometimes by lagging back on D. Obviously, that'll be different in the real games. Looked better than he had, but I still don't see him making a major contribution in the big ten this year (probably too much to expect from any freshman, really).

- Oto jammed his finger or something, so he didn't play that much in the second half. From what I saw of him at the end of the first half, he still looks good. The shot's still smooth, and he's shown a willingness to pump fake and get in the lane. I'm still excited to see him in maroon and gold.

-Halverson worked hard, and can really fly.

- I really wish we would have taken more of a look at Jonah Travis. The kid's obviously smart and a tremendously hard worker with some incredible physical ability. Just an amazing athlete.

- In the second game, Rodney's the only one who played that I cared about. Surprisingly, his shot's really started to show up, and he shot a better percentage from three than Blake (whose shot was off, and usually very contested, but still). Plus, he had his two or three highlight reel dunks/blocks. However, there were some tough fellas there, and he almost got in a few scuffles with number 5 for the opposing squad. Because of that, he didn't go to the basket like I'm still waiting for. He can finish in the lane, he just goes passive for stretches. Other than that, the second game was far more entertaining. Number 12 for Rodney's team, and the kid from MSU Mankato can both really fly, so there were some crazy dunks, and plus, the trash-talking was intense. The two teams appeared to hate each other. Just another fun night at Pulley.

I have seen Andre several times this year at Pulley and I am very excited to see him on the court for the Gophers this fall. The interesting thing about last night's game was that Andre scored 0 points in the first half and 22 points in the second half. Joe had 22 points in the first half and 10 points in the second half. Joe had 30 points at the end of the 3Q and apparently had a conflict and had to leave midway though the 4th quarter.

Thanks for the recaps - good stuff.

I know D isn't always played in HP, but what can you gather about Oto's ability to play D? Is he quick enough to stay with SFs or tough enough to ever bang down low?...or will we have to go zone with him in the game?

Go Gophers!!

It's looked to me like Oto's willing to bang, and has a good frame. He's no weak Euro, that's for sure. Plus, he's shockingly athletic. I'm not sure how that will translate when he's guarding Big Ten Players, and when he's in a good defensive system, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he'll be a liability defensively. Further, his rebounding and low post work have both been far better than I expected. Again, it's Pulley, so who knows, but I haven't seen any reason to not be excited about him so far.

Also, on Joe, I'd caution people to be a little bit cautious about getting excited about the number of points he's gotten. He shoots a ton, and when he gets the ball in a position he likes, he rarely passes. Sounds like it was way different in high school, so I'm hopeful that he's just trying to work on some stuff. And I'm trying not to be too negative. He's improved dramatically since the beginning of Pulley, and his turnaround J looked good yesterday. But he's getting a ton of points because he's getting a ton of shots, and taking a ton of free throws.

Thanks for the recap jmag. The analyses of Joe, Hollins, and Oto seem to be pretty consistent. Which remind me... I heard a bit about Austin Hollins looking much improved at the beginning, then I don't remember hearing another word. Anyone have some insight about his play this summer?

7.25.11 videos

I agree with jmag's analysis on all points. I would add that Coleman had a tough time offensively when matched up with a quicker player. I think it was Diggs who pretty much shut him down when guarding him. He does have some explosiveness and aggressiveness, though. If he gains some lateral quickness during preseason workouts and throughout the first part of the season, he could make an impact in the Big Ten this year despite the negatives I've seen at Pulley.

Here are some videos from last night:

Echo the thanks. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the vids. Not sure I'd really call that a dunk on Mbakwe though. Dwight Howard wouldn't have had a chance at that by the time he could've gone up to block it.

Trevor's team advanced to the semi finals with an overtive win over Rodney and Blake's team last night. My rough scoring had Trevor with 10 points, 14 rebounds and 12 blocked shots. This was even more impressive considering Trevor rolled his ankle in the middle of the first quarter and again in the 3rd quarter. Trevor had a monster block on Rodney as he sailed in from the baseline for a dunk. It is amazing how high those two young men can jump.

so do we know who trevor's team plays tonight? Is it el-amins fishhouse or 123print.com. I believe that is the only game tonight at 7:15pm.

Ok .. how do we post youtube videos?

Upload them to YouTube (you can create an account easily and link it to your Gmail account, if you have one), select the "Insert Video" icon from just above the body of your message (the one with the little film strip), and insert the URL into the box that pops up. You will see the HTML code for VIDEO--just leave it alone and click "Submit Reply."

Trevor's team advanced to the semi finals with an overtive win over Rodney and Blake's team last night. My rough scoring had Trevor with 10 points, 14 rebounds and 12 blocked shots. This was even more impressive considering Trevor rolled his ankle in the middle of the first quarter and again in the 3rd quarter. Trevor had a monster block on Rodney as he sailed in from the baseline for a dunk. It is amazing how high those two young men can jump.

That block by Trevor on Rodney on the baseline was insane. Definitely the play of the night.

Mbakwe looks like he's improved his game significantly this off-season. His defense was rock-solid--he really changed the game when he was on the court. His play (albeit in Pulley league) reminds me of the effect that Shelden Williams had on offenses trying to penetrate against Duke in 05-06. He alters shots on almost every attempt opposing guards make to penetrate into the lane, and his presence allows his team's guards to play more aggressively on the perimeter. With NCAA and not NBA defensive rules, he is going to be very effective in the defensive paint for the Gophers this year. I don't know how that will go with Sampson, Mo, or EE on the court with him, but his quick help defense and knack for blocking shots make him a formidable presence in the middle.

I think that his biggest improvement, however, has been on the offensive end. His FT motion is much improved from the start of last year. He shows soft touch inside--even a nice little hook shot. He has a great knack for using the up-and-under on lesser opponents. His aggressiveness gives him good position down low. He recognizes the trap and looks to pass when double teamed. Needless to say, I'm excited to see him play this year.

Top Bottom