Questions for Dave Mona to ask Coach Kill on the Sports Huddle

DL65

Reaction score
Dave Mona will return to the Sports Huddle next Sunday. Once again, questions for his consideration are welcomed.

1) Two part question: Recently there have been stories about college football being semi-pro (minors for the NFL) and serious injuries, i.e., concusssions in college and pro ball. Two of the more outspoken critics of college football are authors Malcolm Gladwell and H.G. Bissinger. Bissinger, the Pulitizer Prize winning author of "Friday Night Lights," which chronicled high school football in Texas and Odessa, TX in particular, has referred to college football as a "distraction."

Question 1: Have you read or followed the stories calling for the ban of college football? If so, your thoughts concerning their comments. Question 2: A couple weeks ago on the Sports Huddle you talked about the Fiesta Bowl sponsored conference for coaches and athletic directors. If I remember correctly, you said you expected some rule changes to be announced in August or September. What changes do you expect to come to light in late summer? You also said concussions was a topic of concern and discussion at the Arizona conference. Do you expect some rule changes in effort to reduce the occurrences of head injuries? If so, again, what are the possible changes?

2) In the early 20th Century, President Theodore Roosevelt put the colleges on notice that they needed reduce the occurrence of serious injuries on the nation's gridirons or face a possible ban. Involvement in the college game by the nation's politicos: was it a topic of concern and discussion at the conference?

3) You've stressed the need to be very selective in recruiting, because of the limited numbers available for tenders this year. You've also talked about the importance of live evaluation. Are many of the athletes that you and your coaches are pursuing scheduled to attend your summer camps? On average, how many commitments/verbals do you expect to garner as a result of your camps?

Go Gophers!!

Good question about the concussions. As we live a a free market society (at least for now), I think that the helmet manufacturers are probably going great guns right now trying to come up with a solution. The first one out will grab a (albeit temporary) corner on the market.

Has anyone on his staff or in the AD's office heard of any new helmet technologies that may be on the verge?

Good question about the concussions. As we live a a free market society (at least for now), I think that the helmet manufacturers are probably going great guns right now trying to come up with a solution. The first one out will grab a (albeit temporary) corner on the market.

Has anyone on his staff or in the AD's office heard of any new helmet technologies that may be on the verge?

Since a concussion is a result of the brain being bounced against the inside of the skull, I think it is unlikely there will ever a 'solution'.

Since a concussion is a result of the brain being bounced against the inside of the skull, I think it is unlikely there will ever a 'solution'.

Bingo, 19. That is THE issue.

Helmet manufacturers can make helmets that better protect the head, but there are limits to how much protection you can give. If players think that because they have better protection they can play more recklessly, the added protection is wasted, and the problem can be as bad or worse than before. It is unlikely that equipment can provide all the protection needed, rules need to the rest. Spearing used to be part of the game before rules were changed to make it illegal.

Additional questions:

1) Spring finals were recently completed. How did the team as a whole do? In earlier broadcasts you mentioned that there were a couple players that needed to step up and get with the program. Did they show improvement academically?

2) What position (player personnel-wise) takes the longest to develop? Physically and mentally? I've heard a few college head coaches on similar broadcasts say that the offensive line takes the longest because of physical maturity/development issues, knowledge and the ability to quickly grasp and recognize defensive change ups, and finding the players with the proper temperment. Your thoughts.

Go Gophers!!

Bingo, 19. That is THE issue.

I sort of lead you to that, I've previously posted the same thing in agreement with you. It's purely genetic. The solution will be genetic and physiological testing which will eventually ban players from playing sports like football for insurance reasons. Lots of lawsuits. It's coming.

Back to topic.

Are all the incomming freshmen enrolled in summer school or are they all on campus? Just what are the rules for the "involuntary workouts'? Are the 7 on 7 drills by design or more of a pick up game based on who is available. That's typed with tounge in cheek. Are the kickers assigned time in TCF and how many field goals will be kicked between now and September? Punts and punt returns?

Another question.

Now that the Minnesota Vikings will be getting a new stadium and will play at TCF Bank Stadium during its construction, what benefits to the Gopher program, if any, do you foresee besides the obvious ones, i.e., rental fees for games played at TCF Bank, facility upgrades (heating coils) and expansion in seating (if only temporary seating), etc.?

Go Gophers!!

Another question.

With Jacobs & Kirksey moving on and with Hageman having his run in with the police, I'm curious what the DT position is looking like? What players are in the 2 deep following spring practice? Have any of the young guys stepped up?

Speaking of Hageman, what is his status with the team?

Another Question: With your emphasis on speed on defense and the develoment of, to be able to defend the spread because it's becoming a more prevailing offense in college football ,does that put you at a disadvantage when defending the power rushing offenses of a team like Wisconsin?

The idea of banning football is not going to happen. The idea that football harms a school's academics doesn't hold up. If that were true, there are certain things we would expect to see. We would expect to the BCS schools to be have poor academics. But we don't, we see the opposite. Even the Big Ten schools with the weakest academics are actually very good schools. Football keeps the school in people's minds, it is like an ad for the school. The Ivy League has football, and they are still considered to have rather good academics.

As far as injuries go, this can be dealt with by changing the rules of the game, enforcing the rules of the game, and avoiding sensationalizing "big hits".

Question - (especially for non-conf games) - given the emphasis on developing depth, do the coaches have a plan for getting the back-ups playing time - perhaps a set # of snaps they want the back-up to get? (QB - QB - QB)

Is there a particular position (or 2) where developing depth is more important to the team's long-range success?

Some interesting stuff...

Originally Posted by highwayman

Yes, in fact Riddell - one of the major helmet and sports equipment manufacturers is currently developing a new line of football protective gear in response to the increasing injury rate among college and professional athletes. Shown is Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, who is wearing the complete line of Riddell's newly patented Protect-Ur-Self technology.
Jersey Riddell, son of company founder Cletis Riddell said "It has been known for some time that the increase in incident and severity of injuries on the gridiron is a result of bigger and faster athletes generating ever more violent collisions. Our new technology addresses this phenomenon. Our Protect-Ur-Head helmet boasts over 2.6 cu ft of closed-cell memory foam protection encased in a 18mm kevlar-pyrex shell. The body armor is comprised of 22 lbs of a carbon fiber/kevlar composite and the footwear is similar in material and design to the protective boots worn by our brave military demolitions personnel".
Ridell went on to say, "in conjunction with the increased protection afforded, the sheer weight and bulk of this clothing line will reduce the athletes' speed and acceleration diminishing the kinetic energies so devastating in bodily collisions".
Says Ridell, We ar confident this new technology will be embraced by both collegiate and professional football organizations.

View attachment 1553

What is going on with Quentin Gardener? Will he be on the roster this fall?

Thank You mkAz, I noticed he is still listed on the Gopherhole Depth Chart.

Top Bottom