Question to Ponder (or maybe you already have)

calminnfan

Reaction score
Given Coach Tubby has already stated that Ellenson and Buggs will not be redshirted, he has also just mentioned somewhere he believes he has 3 1st round selections in the NBA draft in Trevor, Williams and Hollins and the simple fact BB has more players percentage-wise that get drafted early than football, should Tubby even be concerned about red-shirting players unless they are a medical RS?

Given the quicker turnover of players, seems like unless you draft someone with all sorts of potential but needs obvious time developing that the team would end up better served giving them playing time.

Part of the reason I mention this is that I suspect Hollins is considering going pro after this year as well and Tubby needs to get Ellenson ready for next year.

Just a thought given Coach Kill's burning Nelson's RS on the football team.

I'd be pretty schocked if Hollins turns pro after this year, even if he does have a great season. He just seems like a 4-year player to me. Expecting a very good season from him though. In regards to the redshirting thing, I don't usually like to do so unless it's a big man who needs time to develop, or in a rare case, another position who has loads of potential but just isn't going to be ready to contribute for a year or two and we already have plenty of other depth at his position.

Hollins isn't going anywhere. The only way he won't be back if he flunks out or gets hurt. I seriously doubt if being all Big Ten would change that.

He probably is a four year player. I think blessed are the prepared however. Tubby will encourage him to get a pro-eval as to what to work on to prepare.

Anyway, just a thought on the redshirt process with BB in mind. Seems like it is less an issue with BB then FB. Maybe have one recruit redshirt if development needed or team really deep. Just that given the way the past couple of years has worked out with MN with injuries, transfers and discipline issues, RS just does not seem like a luxury they can enjoy.

tubby said he has no plans to redshirt. not the same as will not. Does mean it is unlikely but not out of the question. Coaches redshirt guys they do not need right away but they still like. if a player looks like a marginal player they will avoid the redshirt to prevent a 5 year hold on his scholly.

If Tubby doesn't red shirt these two I don't know what he is thinking. They are far more valuable to us as red shirt freshmen than they are playing 5 minutes a game. There are simply not enough minutes in a game to get these guys on the court.

wally best bet to redshirt plus would have 2 years at U to play with bother Henry if we get him

I think he can go a ways into the season before finally deciding whether to RS them or not. If this year is anything like the last 3, no point in redshirting. To many injuries, transfers, off court issues. Might as well wait and see how season progresses, especially if they are ready to contribute now.

They will both likely need to contribute next year. Possibly a lot. It would be easier for them to make an impact next year if they get some game experience this season. Not redshirting benefits the team for next season, if not this one too.

Dre isn't really a point guard yet. Not yet in the sense that he hasn't played a full year at the position. No way he leaves that early.

Sorry for the "Ponder" comment...probably should have said question to consider or something else.

Sorry for the "Ponder" comment...probably should have said question to consider or something else.

Not to worry, calmnnfan. Had you titled it "Question To Consider". someone would have asked who this "Consider" guy is?

If Tubby doesn't red shirt these two I don't know what he is thinking.

If Tubby DOES redshirt these two, I don't know what he is thinking. We'd then have 6 scholarships open in 2017, and NONE in 2016. I understand that with transfers and players leaving early that you can't assume all this, but you still leave yourself in a pretty horrible position for the future. There just ain't no way that Tubby redshirts both, and I'd be perfectly fine if he doesn't redshirt either.

Not to worry, calmnnfan. Had you titled it "Question To Consider". someone would have asked who this "Consider" guy is?

You got that right...2nd time I am under the gun for the title of a thread...man, can't win here...

If Tubby DOES redshirt these two, I don't know what he is thinking. We'd then have 6 scholarships open in 2017, and NONE in 2016. I understand that with transfers and players leaving early that you can't assume all this, but you still leave yourself in a pretty horrible position for the future. There just ain't no way that Tubby redshirts both, and I'd be perfectly fine if he doesn't redshirt either.

Have you been following this team for the last 4 years? There is not a chance that a player does not transfer or leave early. Planning for the scholarships you may or may not have in 4 years is one of craziest things I've heard in a long while.

Have you been following this team for the last 4 years? There is not a chance that a player does not transfer or leave early. Planning for the scholarships you may or may not have in 4 years is one of craziest things I've heard in a long while.

It is absolutely ridiculous to assume transfers and defections when you're knowingly setting yourself up for a year with zero scholarships. Of course you should take the possibility into consideration, but you're equating this whole situation to something akin to "I'm going to keep driving straight toward this brick wall, but I'll be OK because in the past my car has drifted off to the side and saved me".

Top Bottom