Question regarding recruits

STPGopher

Reaction score
Have recent Minnesota football preps fared well at Wisconsin? I have not really followed the recruits that have went to Badgerland so I don't know the answer. I've heard about a few, but can't recall many.

Here is what I recall.

Kim Royston - Benched after good start then came back to Minnesota

Carl McCullough- Benched in favor of Ron Dayne. Okay, bad timing for him.

The Montgomery brother that played football at UW- Fared well, helped them win a Rosebowl.

Casey Dehn- (only due to recent posts) Not sure what happened, but according to fans from the east, he never had a chance. He was buried depth.

I am sure I am missing many others. I am just trying to figure out what the draw to Wisconsin is for Minnesota preps. It certainly isn't addoration from the fans. I don't know that I've ever heard a Badger fan praise a Minnesota recruit. What I've usually heard is how Minnesota isn't even worth recruiting.

Don't think he's played yet, but Tyler Marz is over there as well.

Zac Epping and Cameron Botticelli will both be starters for the Gophers this year and are from Wisconsin. Both will in all likelihood start for 3 more years (which would be 4 total for Epping). Both are RS Sophs are should be pretty good players by the time they are upperclassmen. Foster Bush has received rave reviews from the staff and will likely see some action this year and be a starter by the time he's an upperclassmen. Peter Mortell may end up being our punter. Eric Murray will likely red-shirt this year, and we have Owen Salzwedel as a D-line commit for 2013.

The Gophers will be starting as many, if not more Wisconsin players than the Badgers will be Minnesota players. Brendan Kelly and possibly Beau Allen will be there 2 MN starters.

Of all the preps that have left the state, the only one I can remember that really was a factor was Larry Fitzgerald Jr. He was an All American at Pittsburg, and All Pro with Arizona. And now holds his camp at the University of Minnesota and professionals flock to it. He has said on several occasions if Coach Kill had been coaching when he was at Holy Angels he would have chosen Minnesota.

Of all the preps that have left the state, the only one I can remember that really was a factor was Larry Fitzgerald Jr. He was an All American at Pittsburg, and All Pro with Arizona. And now holds his camp at the University of Minnesota and professionals flock to it. He has said on several occasions if Coach Kill had been coaching when he was at Holy Angels he would have chosen Minnesota.

Floyd, Laurenitis?

Zac Epping and Cameron Botticelli will both be starters for the Gophers this year and are from Wisconsin. Both will in all likelihood start for 3 more years (which would be 4 total for Epping). Both are RS Sophs are should be pretty good players by the time they are upperclassmen. Foster Bush has received rave reviews from the staff and will likely see some action this year and be a starter by the time he's an upperclassmen. Peter Mortell may end up being our punter. Eric Murray will likely red-shirt this year, and we have Owen Salzwedel as a D-line commit for 2013.

The Gophers will be starting as many, if not more Wisconsin players than the Badgers will be Minnesota players. Brendan Kelly and possibly Beau Allen will be there 2 MN starters.

Joe Balthazor has played in 18 games the last two seasons as a special-teams mainstay. Jake Filkins is our long-snapper. DB Ben Holcomb turned down IllSt., UND and UNI schollies to walk-on. Augustine Pupungatoa is walking on. Dave Ramlet, our 2nd String longsnapper, Kickers Jordan Wettstein and Dave Schwerman round out the list of Wisconsinites on the team.

What you said plus Preston Gruenning (sp?) punter, Quinn and Nicholson OL to name a few more. I get the desire for Wisconsin preps to come here if they are open to it. They will get a legit shot.

Like Husker 70 said Fitzgerald (Pittsburgh recruit) hurt, and he comes back home to run pro camps at the U. I could think of a couple/ few of players that went to Iowa that I wish we had. I would have loved to have had some of the preps listed in this thread that went to Wisconsin. I think they would have had a better shot here.

BTW Weren't Allen's parents Badgers? Wasn't he a legacy recruit?

Blake Sorensen and David Gilreath were real good for the Vadgers too...

How about Fitz's QB at Holy Angels? He was solid - not great, but solid. Watching him in h.s., I actually thought he could kick in college.

Gilreath was solid as well.

Complete list of MN HS players in Rivals era who committed to/signed with Becky, and how they fared as I remember it:

John Stocco, QB, Holy Angels - decent player, started, possibly multiple years (?)
Brandon Hoey, DT, Mounds View - no clue
Brendan Kelly, DE, Holy Angels - decent player, started, nothing special, solid rotation player
Joe Schafer, T, Cretin-Derham Hall - total non-factor, ended up at St. Thomas, not sure what he did even there
Marcus Coleman, T, Wayzata - no clue
Kim Royston, CB/S, Cretin-Derham Hall - solid rotation player for Becky, nothing special there, very good player for the U
Paul Joran, LB, Apple Valley - no clue
David Gilreath, WR/KR, Robbinsdale Armstrong - stud KR, biggest loss/miss by far on this list for the U
Beau Allen, DT, Minnetonka - played minimally as a true Fr, solid rotation player as a Soph last year, will likely be a multi-year starter and impact player before he's done
Tyler Marz, T, Springfield - looking to get in the OL rotation beginning this year as a RS Fr, will likely be a multi-year starter and impact player before he's done
Casey Dehn, T/G, Owatonna - would've been a multi-year impact player and possible starter had he been able to keep his academics and his mind in order
Blake Sorenson, LB, Eden Prairie - solid, multi-year starter; biggest miss/loss from this list as a scrimmage player IMO
Isaac Anderson, WR, Blake - meh, no loss here
Dan Roscoe, T, Wayzata - no clue
Keelon Brookins, CB, Tartan - who knows, looks like he will be a stud

Of all the preps that have left the state, the only one I can remember that really was a factor was Larry Fitzgerald Jr.

I respectfully disagree, strongly. In addition to no-doubt excellent players already mentioned, such as Michael Floyd and James Laurinaitis, you also have Ryan Harris, John Carlson, Dominique Byrd, Trevor Laws, Lydon Murtha, Nate Swift, A.J. Tarpley, Bryce McNaul, Seantrel Henderson, Alex Robinson, Broderick Binns, Billy Turner, Trevor Olson, Karl Klug, Leevon Perry, Collin Carroll, several of the Becky d-bags I mentioned earlier, the OL from Boise St. (cannot remember his name for the life of me), and probably several others I'm missing.

Complete list of MN HS players in Rivals era who committed to/signed with Becky, and how they fared as I remember it:

John Stocco, QB, Holy Angels - decent player, started, possibly multiple years (?)
Brendan Kelly, DE, Holy Angels - decent player, started, nothing special, solid rotation player
Joe Schafer, T, Cretin-Derham Hall - total non-factor, ended up at St. Thomas, not sure what he did even there
Kim Royston, CB/S, Cretin-Derham Hall - solid rotation player for Becky, nothing special there, very good player for the U
David Gilreath, WR/KR, Robbinsdale Armstrong - stud KR, biggest loss/miss by far on this list for the U
Beau Allen, DT, Minnetonka - played minimally as a true Fr, solid rotation player as a Soph last year, will likely be a multi-year starter and impact player before he's done
Tyler Marz, T, Springfield - looking to get in the OL rotation beginning this year as a RS Fr, will likely be a multi-year starter and impact player before he's done
Casey Dehn, T/G, Owatonna - would've been a multi-year impact player and possible starter had he been able to keep his academics and his mind in order
Blake Sorenson, LB, Eden Prairie - solid, multi-year starter; biggest miss/loss from this list as a scrimmage player IMO

Okay, thanks! I usually don't follow unless they have St. Paul ties or are all over the news and gan't avoid it. Admittedly once they go out of state, I stop paying attention.

I respectfully disagree, strongly. In addition to no-doubt excellent players already mentioned, such as Michael Floyd and James Laurinaitis, you also have Ryan Harris, John Carlson, Dominique Byrd, Trevor Laws, Lydon Murtha, Nate Swift, A.J. Tarpley, Bryce McNaul, Seantrel Henderson, Alex Robinson, Broderick Binns, Billy Turner, Trevor Olson, Karl Klug, Leevon Perry, Collin Carroll, several of the Becky d-bags I mentioned earlier, the OL from Boise St. (cannot remember his name for the life of me), and probably several others I'm missing.

Don't you think his main point was that he comes back home to run camps and that he would have stayed here if the coaching situation was different?

Don't you think his main point was that he comes back home to run camps and that he would have stayed here if the coaching situation was different?

That was at least a secondary point, to be be sure, but I thought his main point was that losing MN recruits to other schools isn't anything to cry over because Fitzgerald is the only one that did anything as a player, which to me is empirically wrong.

That was at least a secondary point, to be be sure, but I thought his main point was that losing MN recruits to other schools isn't anything to cry over because Fitzgerald is the only one that did anything as a player, which to me is empirically wrong.

Okay I get it.

There all dead to me. ;)

The three guys who left the state then could have made a huge difference, Laurenitis, Floyd, Fitgerald. Those are the guys to feel bad about losing. Not a corner who can run with most kids in Mn. I just don't see Brookins at the same level as those three. Actually one of are bigger losses I believe it was under Mason,could have been Brew, was JJ Watt a Wisconsin kid who was committed to the Gophers at one point and is an NFL defensive lineman.. We lost Gilreath when Mason left along with all Big Ten linebacker Greg Jones to Mich. State.

John Galt said:

Good point ^^^^^

Top Bottom