Question from my son

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
So I bring my 8-year-old son to the game last night. He's asking me a zillion questions like "Dad, have the Gophers ever scored 200 points? Dad, who is the other team's mascot? Dad, what does 'bonus' mean? Dad, what if someone makes a basket from the half court line??"

...out of nowhere...

"Dad, has anyone ever quit the Gophers team?"

So I bring my 8-year-old son to the game last night. He's asking me a zillion questions like "Dad, have the Gophers ever scored 200 points? Dad, who is the other team's mascot? Dad, what does 'bonus' mean? Dad, what if someone makes a basket from the half court line??"

...out of nowhere...

"Dad, has anyone ever quit the Gophers team?"

Ha! Well, that may be the longest chapter in the storied Gopher Basketball History book.

We have the Jim Dutcher, I'm quitting in the middle of the season in protest scandal.

We have the Hargrow I quit, I'm going to Arkansas, I quit Arkansas and I'm a Gopher again story.

The Limar Wilson quitting after the season but asking back on after Tubby was hired story.

And of course nothing is more complicated nor musical than the Royce saga at which point you could have told him to check out YouTube and search J-Strings.

What's next, is he going to ask if the program has ever suffered a scandal?!

Go Gophers!!

Ha! Well, that may be the longest chapter in the storied Gopher Basketball History book.

We have the Jim Dutcher, I'm quitting in the middle of the season in protest scandal.

We have the Hargrow I quit, I'm going to Arkansas, I quit Arkansas and I'm a Gopher again story.

The Limar Wilson quitting after the season but asking back on after Tubby was hired story.

And of course nothing is more complicated nor musical than the Royce saga at which point you could have told him to check out YouTube and search J-Strings.

Go Gophers!!

The biggest question to ask, were any of you people still alive, or alive yet, or in attendance, when the Gophers beat tOSU at the BARN to win a Big Ten Title?????????

I, am one of the few, who can answer Yes, Yes, Yes, and YES!!!

The biggest question to ask, were any of you people still alive, or alive yet, or in attendance, when the Gophers beat tOSU at the BARN to win a Big Ten Title?????????

Dr. Don, speaking of that...per Shooter:

"Jim Brewer, Clyde Turner and Corky Taylor from late coach Bill Musselman's 1971-72 Gophers men's Big Ten basketball championship team will be honored at halftime during Minnesota's Dec. 3 game against Southern California at Williams Arena. The day before, the trio will speak at a Dunkers breakfast at the Minneapolis Club."

Go Gophers!!

Yes, and I'm trying to scan something special for you to look at.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed - I won't say for sure but I had the impression that Molinari had a lot to say about Limar leaving the team. Limar may have walked out on a practice or somethin' like that and it was my somewhat removed impression that Molinari was just trying to do a little house cleaning for the next coach and/or open up another scholly. So I thought it was not entirely Limar's doing. However, I have no inside info. Just trying to recollect both sides of the story. If I recall correctly Molinari did a little house cleaning earlier in January of that year when Engen Nurumbi left the team at Molinari's suggestion.

Go Gophers!!

Can't leave Pryz off of that list, the all time best. He goes for 33 against nationally ranked Indiana, then quits!?!?!?!?!?

Can't leave Pryz off of that list, the all time best. He goes for 33 against nationally ranked Indiana, then quits!?!?!?!?!?

Wasn't Pryzbillas thing he was going pro at the end of the year and wasn't so interested in class anymore and Monson wasn't going to let him get away with not going to class and playing.

Why the hating on the Dutch? He was correct in hindsight given that they were ALLEGATIONS. Not fair to Wilson and Shasky to cancel the games over ALLEGATIONS. No issues with suspending those who were alleged to be involved.

Why the hating on the Dutch? He was correct in hindsight given that they were ALLEGATIONS. Not fair to Wilson and Shasky to cancel the games over ALLEGATIONS. No issues with suspending those who were alleged to be involved.

How man I hating on Dutch? I cited examples of Gophers quitting in high profile ways and it's hard to find a more significant example than the coach quitting in the middle of the season, no matter the reason. Looking back on my comment on Dutcher, it looks factual and without opinion, no?

Go Gophers!!

I was there.

You may be right; I just don't think resigning out of principal is the same as quitting. I admire Dutcher for taking that action. I do not admire Dutcher for not kicking Mitch Lee off of the team after the "wine glass" incident

Check! Did it, done it, was there (my senior year at the U). Back in the day when the hottest ticket in town was Gopher basketball at the barn.

How has Devoe Joseph's name not been mentioned. If he doesn't quit on his team last year I believe we easily make the NCAA tournament. You want to transfer that's fine, but at least finish out the season and do it over the offseason. This would have been his team last year after Al went down, and he'd probably would still be playing for the maroon and gold.

Top Bottom