Question for the RPIers

From the Barn

Reaction score
Tonight Michigan State plays Ohio State. Which team, from a purely RPI perspective, should we be cheering for.

Is it better for a team lost to to win, or is better for the team we beat to win?

That's a tricky question

We play both teams twice, so in the end I'm not sure the outcome of that game will matter much with regards to the Gophers' final RPI. Generally speaking I prefer that the teams the Gophers beat do well. At this point that would mean rooting for OSU, even though we have another crack at both teams.

However, in terms of what's best for the Gophers in the event they end up on the bubble, I definitely want a Sparty win tonight. Gotta' figure MSU's a lock for the tourney. Sparty likely will be nowhere near the bubble.

But teams like Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, perhaps even Purdue (if they falter). ... those are the teams the Gophers most likely will be battling for a NCAA bid. I want the middle-tier Big 10 teams to pick up as few significant wins as possible in Big 10 play. Winning at Breslin would be huge for OSU. I'd prefer the Buckeyes not do that, especially since they already have wins over Butler, Miami and Notre Dame.

And I guess one would have to consider if RPI matters more than where the Gophers finish in the conference. If the Buckeyes get buried, it helps the Gophers finish higher. If MSU loses, then the Gophers loss doesn't look as bad in the conference standings.

Instead of letting my head explode, I'll just hope for a good game.

Here's another way to look at it: The Big 10 has some nice teams this year and the Gophers have shown they can compete with anyone. The Gophers have an outside chance of finishing in the top three of the Big 10. If they do so, RPI shouldn't prevent a tourney birth (seeing as the Big 10 will get more than 3 teams in the tourney). Rooting for Sparty places them further ahead of tOSU, a top five B10 team. Rooting for tOSU keeps the Gophs in B10 championship contention.

Although it is a long shot, I'll be rooting for tOSU and hoping that Tubby pulls off some more upsets so the team is positioned to steal the B10 crown. I really think B10 teams will beat each other up this year with multiple upsets by multiple teams (including spoilers by Iowa, PSU, and Northwestern). If the Gophers can survive being upset and steal some quality wins on the road, they may be able to be within shouting range of the number 1 B10 team with a few games left on their schedule. Who knows - but it is exciting to see our Gophers in contention.

That's a good way to look at it

Makes sense. If you're thinking Big 10 championship this season, then certainly pulling for OSU is in order tonight.

Maybe later in the year if the Gophers are in the hunt for the Big 10 title I'll think differently, but at this stage of the Gopher program's development am just thinking about the first step, getting back to the NCAAs first, then start thinking Big 10 title(s). That means I'm pulling for Sparty tonight. Not to metnion, the Iowa game scares the heck out of me on Thursday.

True. Iowa is not quite there yet but on the spoiler list this year. If the Gophs can avoid being the spoilee, they'll be in the mix for a top three spot.

Top Bottom