question for the "old-timers". any of you ever get to meet/talk with coach bierman?

Reaction score
question for the "old-timers". any of you ever get to meet/talk with coach bierman?

would love to know what "the silver fox of the northland" - who won 5 national football championships for our beloved gophers - was like in person.

understand he passed away back in 1977 at the age of 82 (1894-1977).

thanks!

Bronko Nagurski Gopher,

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bernie Bierman, however, I did meet you namesake - Bronko Nagurski.

In the winter of 1956 - I had just started following the Gophers the previous fall - I went to a pro wrestling show at the Detroit Lakes Armory with my father. My father was asked to attend the show since a medical doctor had to be on hand for the evening event. After the show I joined my dad as he went to visit with Bronko Nagurski. They briefly talked about their school days at the University of Minnesota and his watching the Bronko on the playing field of Memorial Stadium. My dad, as mentioned in an earlier post, was an undergraduate when Bronko played at the U. My dad never missed a home game during his days at the U.

To say I was awe struck would be an understatement. I just stared at the hall-of-famer, thinking about all that my dad had said about the Gopher great playing football for the U. Near the end of their conversation my dad introduced me to the sports legend. When he shook my hand, his large hand enveloped my small hand. I swear his hand covered my forearm up to my elbow! Pretty heady stuff for a third grader at the time. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Again, I wish I could answer your question; however, this "old timer" wanted to share this special memory!

Go Gophers!!

Bierman

I never had the pleasure to talk with him in person but have some unpublished info about him.

After the war, as you know, he came back from the service and took over coaching the Gophers again.

I was walking up the stairs at Cook Hall behind Leo Nom. (forget how to spell his last name) and overheard him say to his friend "Don't worry, Bierman will get me through"

As most of the players at that time were discharged vets and not just out of High School. He tried to coach them as if they were just new H.S. grads. Some of these vet players did not cooperate fully and Bierman had a problem. He was tough and demanded much. They lost one game due to this and really punished Ohio State in Columbus when they were all on the same page.

In my opinion he left coaching due to this problem.

Another thing I remember he had Tonnamaker practicing with the team when he was still playing his senior year in High School. Tonnamaker went to H.S. near by, I think University High.
Apparently the NCAA rules at that time were not too rigit.

Bronko Nagurski Gopher,

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bernie Bierman, however, I did meet you namesake - Bronko Nagurski.

In the winter of 1956 - I had just started following the Gophers the previous fall - I went to a pro wrestling show at the Detroit Lakes Armory with my father. My father was asked to attend the show since a medical doctor had to be on hand for the evening event. After the show I joined my dad as he went to visit with Bronko Nagurski. They briefly talked about their school days at the University of Minnesota and his watching the Bronko on the playing field of Memorial Stadium. My dad, as mentioned in an earlier post, was an undergraduate when Bronko played at the U. My dad never missed a home game during his days at the U.

To say I was awe struck would be an understatement. I just stared at the hall-of-famer, thinking about all that my dad had said about the Gopher great playing football for the U. Near the end of their conversation my dad introduced me to the sports legend. When he shook my hand, his large hand enveloped my small hand. I swear his hand covered my forearm up to my elbow! Pretty heady stuff for a third grader at the time. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Again, I wish I could answer your question; however, this "old timer" wanted to share this special memory!

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for sharing that story DL65. Appreciate it! I am sure it was something to meet Bronko in person. Sounds like he probably had a hand shake similar to that of Adrian Peterson......like a vice grip!

I never had the pleasure to talk with him in person but have some unpublished info about him.

After the war, as you know, he came back from the service and took over coaching the Gophers again.

I was walking up the stairs at Cook Hall behind Leo Nom. (forget how to spell his last name) and overheard him say to his friend "Don't worry, Bierman will get me through"

As most of the players at that time were discharged vets and not just out of High School. He tried to coach them as if they were just new H.S. grads. Some of these vet players did not cooperate fully and Bierman had a problem. He was tough and demanded much. They lost one game due to this and really punished Ohio State in Columbus when they were all on the same page.

In my opinion he left coaching due to this problem.

Another thing I remember he had Tonnamaker practicing with the team when he was still playing his senior year in High School. Tonnamaker went to H.S. near by, I think University High.
Apparently the NCAA rules at that time were not too rigit.

interesting story. thanks! my guess is that the ncaa wasn't the all-powerful, all-knowing bureaucracy back then like it is today. was probably a bit more fun back then too!

Thanks for sharing that story DL65. Appreciate it! I am sure it was something to meet Bronko in person. Sounds like he probably had a hand shake similar to that of Adrian Peterson......like a vice grip!

Hey Bronko, I actually just finished a book called "Monster of the Midway" and it's all about Bronko Nagurski and how he grew up in MN, was a pro wrestler, played at the U and his comeback with the 1943 Chicago Bears. If you haven't read this I highly suggest it, that man was nothing short of amazing!

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Coach Bierman Meeting

Yes, I actually had the pleasure...it was a sunny day in the mid-1970's, Cal Stoll was the coach and I think Tony Dungy was the QB. The Gophers were practicing in Memorial Stadium and I decided to stroll in and have a look. I walked up into the Stadium on the Press Box side and there was one man sitting there in a hat and it was Bernie. I walked up to him and asked him if he was indeed Coach Bieman and he said, "yes". I asked him what he thought of the team and he said something to the effect that they were young and had a lot to learn. But I got to sit next to him for about a half an hour and we watched practice together. What a treat. Also, you many not know this, but back in the day....he was doing the Gopher Broadcasts on CCO radio with Halsey Hall and the play by play man in the 60's was Dick Enroth, before they hired Ray Christensen. Just a little tid bit for you. In the early 70's, Herb Carneal did a stint doing the Gopher play by play as did Ray Scott (one of my all time favorites, but Halsey and Coach Bierman were mainstays on the broadcasts.

Top Bottom