Question for Football Posters

The 12th Man

Reaction score
It seems as though lots of people "know" what the coaches should have done in a lot of situations. That made me wonder:

Who here actually coaches? Who has played football beyond high school?

Most of are fans and that is it but I am 47 and have watched MN college and pro football since I was 7 and I am pretty sure I have a feel for the game. I might not know what football players do in practice but I can tell you what a talented, well excecuted, penalty free, disciplined team looks like and that was not it. I just hope we are getting better because yesterday we lost in all the main areas of the game except special teams.

Actually, I never really played in high school, let alone college.

--message posted by Jedd Fisch (with input from Charlie Weis)

Played D2 football for four years, then coached four years at that level.

That is why I usually take the side of "the coaches see these guys everyday in practice, they probably know more than we do." I'll be critical, but won't jump to conclusions. Fans don't see practice, they don't watch film and break down every play like we coaches did and do.

I Once Stayed...

At a Holiday Inn Express.

Me. 35 to 45 years ago. So what? I would guess the game has changed a bit since then. Fooball is not rocket science.

I'm getting the answers I expected. The people jumping off the bridge right now and/or answering my simple question defensively (rather than just not answering because it does not apply to you) are the ones without the experience to know how things actually work. Ironically, they are also the most vocal about how terrible everything is.

Thanks for your responses.

I'm getting the answers I expected. The people jumping off the bridge right now and/or answering my simple question defensively (rather than just not answering because it does not apply to you) are the ones without the experience to know how things actually work. Ironically, they are also the most vocal about how terrible everything is.

Thanks for your responses.
In that case there's no point in having this message board. What you're employing here is an appeal to authority. If your football knowledge is superior to other people here I would encourage you to engage their points rather than trying to dismiss them with an argument like this.

In that case there's no point in having this message board. What you're employing here is an appeal to authority. If your football knowledge is superior to other people here I would encourage you to engage their points rather than trying to dismiss them with an argument like this.

+1

What coaching points are you referring to? I see a lot of whining and no real points.

Oh yeah- I agree with Khaliq. There is absolutely no point for a message board beyond giving fans a place to vent and giving those same fans an overblown sense of importance. It is entertainment. If you think it is anything more, I feel sorry for you.

What coaching points are you referring to? I see a lot of whining and no real points.

Oh yeah- I agree with Khaliq. There is absolutely no point for a message board beyond giving fans a place to vent and giving those same fans an overblown sense of importance. It is entertainment. If you think it is anything more, I feel sorry for you.

You're looking for something that isn't there, I was simply agreeing with Khaliq.......

Top Bottom