Question about Gopher football winter conditioning..............

froggopher

Reaction score
Hello fellow G-Holers! I have always wondered when and what exactly the football team does for winter practice or team conditioning at this time? Does their practice time start about now in January? If so, how many practice weeks are allowed per NCAA rules and what kind of workouts are allowed? Thanks in advance! Go Gopher Football!!! :clap:

I would guess I have asked about this every year for at least 8 years. Oh there was a feature with Coach Klein last year, but when it comes to U of M Football strength and conditioning it is held as if it was a CIA activity. No record of weight lifting in the squat, bench, or power incline. Nothing in print,text,tweet, or phone on 10 yard, 40 yard and shuttle times. We are offered phrases like "the players are working hard"

There is a school of thought that this type of information could compromise the team. Maybe we are not that close to Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin et al in the weight room and putting it out there would confirm it. So the standard operating proceedure states we know nothing, and be happy about it.

Hello fellow G-Holers! I have always wondered when and what exactly the football team does for winter practice or team conditioning at this time? Does their practice time start about now in January? If so, how many practice weeks are allowed per NCAA rules and what kind of workouts are allowed? Thanks in advance! Go Gopher Football!!! :clap:

They were/are on winter break. Winter conditioning either started this week or will start next week. Spring practice (13 or 14 practices) will start in March followed by the spring football game in April.

Following the spring game they are off until school let's out. They go home for a week or two and then return mid June to start summer conditioning (training staff only, no coach contact). Summer conditioning ends two weeks prior to the start of fall practice.

Thanks for the responses! I always thought football was pretty much a year around program. Those guys put in a lot of time and effort for our Gopher football program. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom