Quad City Times: For Gophers' Leidner, Hawkeye rivalry is personal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Quad City Times:

Mitch Leidner feels the hate, although his reasons are strictly personal.

As Iowa’s football team prepares for Saturday’s 11 a.m. battle for Floyd of Rosedale at Minnesota, Golden Gophers fans are warming up the vocal chords to deliver another round of a long-standing chant.

At some point from the heart of the student section, the words “Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa’’ will echo through TCF Bank Stadium.

It’s a common occurrence, happening at nearly every home Minnesota football and basketball game for decades no matter what opponent the Gophers happen to be playing, a playful chant illustrating the intensity of the border rivalry.

Leidner gets it.

“It’s a game we always look forward to winning, especially our fans with all the hatred they have for the state of Iowa,’’ Leidner said at this year’s Big Ten preseason kickoff. “I’m not going to get into that too much, but it’ll be a fun game. It always is.’’

http://qctimes.com/sports/football/...cle_1b497f3a-c1e8-56c1-9209-6720964c5828.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Quad City Times:

As Iowa’s football team prepares for Saturday’s 11 a.m. battle for Floyd of Rosedale at Minnesota, Golden Gophers fans are warming up the vocal chords to deliver another round of a long-standing chant.

At some point from the heart of the student section, the words “Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa’’ will echo through TCF Bank Stadium.

It’s a common occurrence, happening at nearly every home Minnesota football and basketball game for decades no matter what opponent the Gophers happen to be playing, a playful chant illustrating the intensity of the border rivalry.

Leidner gets it.

“It’s a game we always look forward to winning, especially our fans with all the hatred they have for the state of Iowa,’’ Leidner said at this year’s Big Ten preseason kickoff. “I’m not going to get into that too much, but it’ll be a fun game. It always is.’’

http://qctimes.com/sports/football/...cle_1b497f3a-c1e8-56c1-9209-6720964c5828.html

Go Gophers!!

This will be the instant the Hawkeyes get on the field, I guarantee it.

per the Quad City Times:

Leidner gets it.

Go Gophers!!

I'm glad the author of the article realizes it's a "playful chant". Weren't some people all bent out of shape about it a while back?

Top Bottom