QB

It's actually extremely common to call screen passes against fast teams who blitz a lot. They are designed to hurt teams that overpursue and bring a ton of pressure. They didn't really work out too well, but in theory they were decent calls (blitzing defense with a lot of guys in the box).

Thank you for stating the obvious. Quick screens are also effective if you have a reciever or back that is extremely quick and can turn a 1 yard gain to a 15 yard gain by forcing a missed tackle.

I didn't see the game but it sounded like Weber took a couple of sacks to take the team out of field goal range or resulted in missed field goals. He really has to figure out how to avoid that and dump the ball in that situation.

Fade Pass

"The fade pass was on Gray. He couldn't get off the jam. The announcers made a big deal about how Gray is going to have to learn to get through that."

The ball was thrown in the wrong place. The quarterback has to read the defense. The pass needed to be thrown to the front pylon not the back corner based on the defenders positioning....away from the defense. Weber forced Gray to have to push the defender down if he had any chance to make a play on the ball and that would be offensive pass interference. Lots of decisions like that is what Weber doesn't do. As another poster said...he sacked himself twice with his decisions. He has played well in spurts throughout his career...he just needs to relax and become so much more consistent.

The throw to Lair on the smash route was a thing of beauty.

The third down throw to McKnight was just pretty lucky.

We can't afford to have any starter play one half effectively, especially the guy who touches the ball every play.

Would he have caught it even if he broke through the jam? It was pretty far out there as I recall...

maybe not, but I think it was to the corner, and I believe that's where the ball is suppose to go on that play.

I'm not sure he had more time to wait to throw.

Maybe weber should have recognized the busted play and gone somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure they weren't trying avoid the defender, I think they wanted the one and one jump ball. Gray just couldn't get out there.

I've been saying this about Weber since before the beginning of his freshman season:

"Not a very good passer who is confused by pressure. Does not have enough patience in the pocket, even when his OL gives him plenty of time."

I have the same feeling about Weber now that I did then. That's not on me, it's on Weber and perhaps certain coaches and even possibly a player or two. But if you saw what I saw last night it's abundantly clear that as a 4th year starter he has done little to improve his weakest areas of play. He looks like the same guy despite repeated opportunities and experience. Doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate his toughness, but I've waited years to also appreciate his playing ability and still can't see it on the field. Numbers don't mean much when you're most experienced senior seems to be the guy who starts the collapse instead of performing well. You guys know what I'm talking about and if you didn't see the importance of mishandling a snap, throwing bad passes and not letting receivers clear zones before zipping the ball at them you're kidding yourselves. The sad thing at this point is that we evidently don't have anyone the coaches believe can step in and improve on the current situation. So, yes, he will be the QB, or manage games on the field or whatever else you want to call what he does. In the meantime we have one more season to hope he can conquer his demons and throw an accurate ten-yard pass to a stationary target. You never know. I could be wrong. Being a longtime Gopher fan I hope he makes me look like a fool. But time is running out and nothing has changed yet.

I've been saying this about Weber since before the beginning of his freshman season:

"Not a very good passer who is confused by pressure. Does not have enough patience in the pocket, even when his OL gives him plenty of time."

I have the same feeling about Weber now that I did then. That's not on me, it's on Weber and perhaps certain coaches and even possibly a player or two. But if you saw what I saw last night it's abundantly clear that as a 4th year starter he has done little to improve his weakest areas of play. He looks like the same guy despite repeated opportunities and experience. Doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate his toughness, but I've waited years to also appreciate his playing ability and still can't see it on the field. Numbers don't mean much when you're most experienced senior seems to be the guy who starts the collapse instead of performing well. You guys know what I'm talking about and if you didn't see the importance of mishandling a snap, throwing bad passes and not letting receivers clear zones before zipping the ball at them you're kidding yourselves. The sad thing at this point is that we evidently don't have anyone the coaches believe can step in and improve on the current situation. So, yes, he will be the QB, or manage games on the field or whatever else you want to call what he does. In the meantime we have one more season to hope he can conquer his demons and throw an accurate ten-yard pass to a stationary target. You never know. I could be wrong. Being a longtime Gopher fan I hope he makes me look like a fool. But time is running out and nothing has changed yet.

This is one of the better AWeb critiques I've seen all day. Outlines the problems you see and why they make you concerned without the unneeded hyperbole of "worst ever" or "eats babies". I have the same hopes and concerns as you maxwell. In the end, he may never overcome some of the issues (inaccuracy, pocket presence) and if that's the case, I'm simply hoping to see is him be a strong "game manager" (or whatever you want to call it) in Horton's offense. In other words, not the guy that starts the meltdown in any game...low INT's with decent completion % (even if many of the completions aren't the most accurate). Should we be getting more from a 4 year starter? Yea, probably. But we might not. And folks are going to have to deal with the fact that Brew seems to be comfortable with that fact.

Whaddya want

The guy finished 10 of 12 after starting with 5 incompletes. Geez - whaddya want???

This is one of the better AWeb critiques I've seen all day. Outlines the problems you see and why they make you concerned without the unneeded hyperbole of "worst ever" or "eats babies". I have the same hopes and concerns as you maxwell. In the end, he may never overcome some of the issues (inaccuracy, pocket presence) and if that's the case, I'm simply hoping to see is him be a strong "game manager" (or whatever you want to call it) in Horton's offense. In other words, not the guy that starts the meltdown in any game...low INT's with decent completion % (even if many of the completions aren't the most accurate). Should we be getting more from a 4 year starter? Yea, probably. But we might not. And folks are going to have to deal with the fact that Brew seems to be comfortable with that fact.

The problem with this theory, however, is that we won't be playing inferior and dramatically undersized opponents most of the time. The whole run it 60 times thing was great because we could get away with it. MTSU realized that Weber was not going to beat them up and put 8, even 9 guys in the box. We were able to run anyway.

When we play in the Big 10, those defenses are going to know that Weber can't beat them too. And they're going to put 8, even 9 guys in the box too. But then they'll stop the run. And that will put it on Weber. And after last night, it doesn't appear that he's gotten any better since last year.

Weber made three good plays last night: the touch pass to Lair over the defender along the sideline, the pass to Hoese on 3rd and 2, and the 3rd and 12 where he avoided the rush and put in a tight spot for a huge first down. Three plays. That's it. Other than that, he was wildly inaccurate. He made a number of poor decisions with the ball and just got away with it. He also showed his propensity for curling up into the fetal position on the ground when it look as though there's a chance - even a remote one - that a defender might be approaching him in the pocket.

I'm very, very glad that the Gophers won. It's just hard to predict that Weber will get any better as the opponents get tougher.

Exactly.

"Weber is the worst football player I've ever seen!!! Brewster should be fired right on the spot if he doesn't put in Gray who is a much better QB!!! Weber showed nothing last night!!!!"

That's the kind of things that have been posted. Ridiculous.

This is why I try to avoid posting during a game or close to the end of the game. I try to at least let a few hours go by in between.

The vast majority of these kinds of over-reactionary, emotional-outburst posts occur immediately after they watch Weber make a bad pass, or just after clock strikes 0:00 in a loss. Take a breath and relax.

The problem with this theory, however, is that we won't be playing inferior and dramatically undersized opponents most of the time. The whole run it 60 times thing was great because we could get away with it. MTSU realized that Weber was not going to beat them up and put 8, even 9 guys in the box. We were able to run anyway.

When we play in the Big 10, those defenses are going to know that Weber can't beat them too. And they're going to put 8, even 9 guys in the box too. But then they'll stop the run. And that will put it on Weber. And after last night, it doesn't appear that he's gotten any better since last year.

Weber made three good plays last night: the touch pass to Lair over the defender along the sideline, the pass to Hoese on 3rd and 2, and the 3rd and 12 where he avoided the rush and put in a tight spot for a huge first down. Three plays. That's it. Other than that, he was wildly inaccurate. He made a number of poor decisions with the ball and just got away with it. He also showed his propensity for curling up into the fetal position on the ground when it look as though there's a chance - even a remote one - that a defender might be approaching him in the pocket.

I'm very, very glad that the Gophers won. It's just hard to predict that Weber will get any better as the opponents get tougher.

First, I didn't predict anything. I simply stated what lower level of play would be acceptable to me. I do make some assumptions in my "game manager" theory, including the fact that Weber plays adequately against better teams and that the running game is also moderately successful against those teams. Obviously the theory falls apart if either of those aren't true.

Frankly, I think your "wildly inaccurate" statement is hilarious because if Weber was wildly inaccurate last night he wouldn't have completed 10 of 17. Was he inaccurate much of the time? Yes. But the majority of those were still completions and got the needed results. That's why my theory also assumes a decent level of inaccuracy on the part of Weber.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm prepared to accept a lower "ceiling" of play from Weber if he hits that ceiling in a way that doesn't do harm to the team (i.e. through INT's, poor completion %, etc). What you seem to be asking for is for him to win games and significantly up his play. I can understand why you want that from a 4th year starter. It's what I really want to see as well. But I'm recognizing that he might not hit that level. Unlike many others on the board (which seems to include you) I don't believe that adequate and unspectacular play which doesn't harm the team falls into the category of "terrible" or "unacceptable".

What I'm trying to say is that I'm prepared to accept a lower "ceiling" of play from Weber if he hits that ceiling in a way that doesn't do harm to the team (i.e. through INT's, poor completion %, etc). What you seem to be asking for is for him to win games and significantly up his play. I can understand why you want that from a 4th year starter. It's what I really want to see as well. But I'm recognizing that he might not hit that level. Unlike many others on the board (which seems to include you) I don't believe that adequate and unspectacular play which doesn't harm the team falls into the category of "terrible" or "unacceptable".

With you 100% here. But I also agree with Maroon that, at some point, probably sooner than later, we're going to need Weber to step up. We'll need something more than a game manager to win against the bulk of our competition.

Perhaps his pratfalls last night aren't indicative of what he'll do the rest of the season and I am more than happy to be dead wrong on this point. At this stage, though, I'm not the slightest bit confident that Weber can take a game over after our running game has been shut down.

With you 100% here. But I also agree with Maroon that, at some point, probably sooner than later, we're going to need Weber to step up. We'll need something more than a game manager to win against the bulk of our competition.

Perhaps his pratfalls last night aren't indicative of what he'll do the rest of the season and I am more than happy to be dead wrong on this point. At this stage, though, I'm not the slightest bit confident that Weber can take a game over after our running game has been shut down.

I both agree and disagree. I'd agree that at this point I don't think he can take over a game if the running game disappears completely. I also agree the time will come when that is needed. That said, I do think we'll be ok in about 1/2 our games if he completes 55-57% of his passes and keeps INT's low (assuming the running game remains pretty solid). In those types of games I think that level of play should be good enough to help out if the running game falters (but doesn't get shut down).

Personally, I think that will probably be good enough to get us to 5, maybe 6 wins. I'll be more confident if he shows that he can embrace and step into that kind of game manager role (i.e. can be consistently adequate when called upon versus needing a whole half to get going). He hasn't done that yet but its the level I'm assuming he can get to.

For me, having to temper expectations like this sucks. But I also know it will keep me from freaking out watching many of the games. :)

I both agree and disagree. I'd agree that at this point I don't think he can take over a game if the running game disappears completely. I also agree the time will come when that is needed. That said, I do think we'll be ok in about 1/2 our games if he completes 55-57% of his passes and keeps INT's low (assuming the running game remains pretty solid). In those types of games I think that level of play should be good enough to help out if the running game falters (but doesn't get shut down).

Personally, I think that will probably be good enough to get us to 5, maybe 6 wins. I'll be more confident if he shows that he can embrace and step into that kind of game manager role (i.e. can be consistently adequate when called upon versus needing a whole half to get going). He hasn't done that yet but its the level I'm assuming he can get to.

For me, having to temper expectations like this sucks. But I also know it will keep me from freaking out watching many of the games. :)

Goldy Gopher is not waterskiing. Your argument is valid. :)

I am wondering if brewster would consider putting Gray in for a few downs here and there(maybe a quarter a game). I think that this could really mess other defensive coordinators as they have to change the way they play around a more mobile qb. At the same time we give Gray some much needed experiance for next year (which I believe will be a strong one for us). I just see how well D. Robinson for Michigan is doing right now, and think it would be awesome for us to have someone with the ability to run around like that.

Should we be getting more from a 4 year starter? Yea, probably. But we might not. And folks are going to have to deal with the fact that Brew seems to be comfortable with that fact.

I'm not sure it's comfortable as much as it is that like it or not, Brewster feels Weber is the guy most ready to go and produce right now. Gray and other other QB's may have more upside, but the head coach has to be feeling some heat right now and the best way to quench it is to do what he can to put the best squad on the field and win as many games as he can.

I'd like to see more of what Gray or Alipate can do, but I suspect that if/when we do see more of them on the field that means that our bowl eligibility is gone and we're building for next season.

I've been confident since last year that the staff loves the way weber can call a play at the line of scrimmage. His ability to put us in the correct play is a coach's dream.

True, but I think that needs to be tempered with the fact that he'll be the only 4-year starter at QB in Minnesota history, and further at a school that has traditionally been 70/30 run/pass (or more). It's faint praise - sort of like calling someone the career passing leader for Army.

EDIT: I guess Foggie was a 4-year starter as well. Comparing him to Weber in any way is laughable, however.

EDIT #2: Damnit. Apparently Dungy was a 4-year starter also. Other points still stand.

Sorry ive been outta town and jsut started to check in to see what others are thinking... Here are a few interesting stats for you:

approaching the league's all-time top 10 in several statistical categories. Minnesota quarterback Adam Weber enters the 2010 campaign ranked 10th in Big Ten history with 704 completions and 1,226 passing attempts. His career passing yardage of 8,238 is 487 yards away from cracking the top 10, and his 52 passing touchdowns are nine shy of the top 10.

Not too bad for all time big ten id say.

I've been confident since last year that the staff loves the way weber can call a play at the line of scrimmage. His ability to put us in the correct play is a coach's dream.

+1

This ultimately is what it comes down to. Weber is better equipped currently to run an offense than Gray or Alipate. He gives us our best chance to win and ultimately is why he is starting.

On Weber's behalf, he made some clutch third down passes that kept drives alive - which is what wasn't happening last year. Those long drives were impressive and finishing strong in the fourth quarter, which is becoming a Brewster trademark, is very welcome after the collapses in other years.

Top Bottom