QB Recruiting

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
It's a tough job. I've been wondering why we've struggled at the position. Then I look around the country and see so many teams playing transfers.

Michigan
FSU
Oregon
Illinois

On and on QB's are transferring all over. Graduate? Transfer...get beat out? Transfer... Coach leaves? Transfer. It's not easy. They're a delicate position to handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a lot of that going on, but we've had two coaches in a row who can't get much above .500 with passing QBs, There has to be somebody out there...somewhere.

He had to as he's been playing special teams and Jaylen Myrick wears it also.

when did strevler drop #5 and go with 14?

He was trying to disguise himself " who 14 he can probably throw the ball the guy who can't throw is 5" but CSU coaches figured out after one play.. ��

Recruiting strevler and mckinzy in back to back years is about as embarrassing as it gets. Who is in charge of picking these hacks?

Recruiting strevler and mckinzy in back to back years is about as embarrassing as it gets. Who is in charge of picking these hacks?

The way Nelson and Leidner were projecting at the time was a factor. Croft might be the answer as the situation is a bit different.

After the Brewster disaster and couple expectantly poor early Kill years you think they should have had their pick of the 4 and 5 star kids? Gotta show some results and generate realistic hope to sell the program to good QB prospects. Hopefully Croft will be the first of a succession of excellent QB recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can make excuses, some of which have been a factor, but this is a legit criticism of kill's staff. It is the only knock I can think of this far, but even they would agree.

We have to hope we run up a nice lead next week and get to see parra or some others take some reps. I would like to see croft keep the red shirt year.

It seems like Kill likes to recruit athletic QBs who are raw passers, with hopes that eventually they'll become good passers. Streveler, Croft, and Poljan all seem to fit that mold. Or is this just a function of us not being able to recruit high-end talent? They are good at coaching up other positions, but it hasn't worked yet at QB.

It seems like Kill likes to recruit athletic QBs who are raw passers, with hopes that eventually they'll become good passers. Streveler, Croft, and Poljan all seem to fit that mold. Or is this just a function of us not being able to recruit high-end talent? They are good at coaching up other positions, but it hasn't worked yet at QB.

If the strategy is to coach them up and teach them to throw, he should probably hire a coach with an actual background as a QB coach. Adam Weber seems like a good guy but he has no coaching experience.

If the strategy is to coach them up and teach them to throw, he should probably hire a coach with an actual background as a QB coach. Adam Weber seems like a good guy but he has no coaching experience.

The QB coach is Zebrowski. Weber is just a graduate assistant.

Win consistently and have an offensive scheme that will attract the better QB recruits - a Catch 22 for teams doing major rebuilding. A much much more difficult task being a run first team.

Philip Nelson was the guy, but either they ruined him by not being able to redshirt him during the difficult rebuilding process, or mentally he was not up to the challenge.

The rage is the dual threat athletic QB. And the offense that it fits. Think Oregon. Then there is the school of thought that a pocket passer is what the system needs. If he can run, great. The premium in that offense is a big arm and accuracy over designed runs. Minnesota has had both. Probably the best Dual Threat was either Billy Cockerham or Adam Weber. The true pocket passers, yes we have had a couple Brian Caputo, Asad Abdul Khaliq, & Corey Sauter. The coaching staff has always favored the dual threat. The problem, it takes a special talent to do. To have the accuracy and arm we need I would look for a high school player who played baseball. Maybe shortstop in addition to playing football. We had that super athletic QB in MarQueis Gray. Problem, could not throw the ball.

The current problem is Mitch is not an accurate passer. His completion percentage is below average. And his running ability is being schemed against. Strevler is an unknown passer. All he does is run. Again stop the QB run.
That is what we have. The key is to minimize the QB, and expand the running back.

We can make excuses, some of which have been a factor, but this is a legit criticism of kill's staff. It is the only knock I can think of this far, but even they would agree.

Yes and no and i'm not sure.

Yes, in that they have not developed Leidner, who seems to have regressed significantly. Yes, in that our o-line has not been good enough this season, so far. Both of those factors are squarely on the coaches. Also, yes on recruiting. I think if they'd seen some success early on the O side of the ball, we might have been able to land a few guys we wanted to at QB but did not. McKinzy felt like a settle at the time. Streveler and Leidner feel like they were destined for different roles/change of pace QB snaps vs. being full on starters.

No, in that they couldn't control everything that has put us in this situation -- injuries and ego.

I'm not sure: The play calling is bizarre at times, but I'm not sure that isn't because of the "capability" of Mitch in the offense. This could be on the coaches and a part of the not coaching Leidner up, it could be on the circumstances of having to play Leidner with no other capable back-up.

Kill inherited and recruited among others:

2007 -- TB/GM
Clint Brewster

2008 -- TB
Marquies Gray (enrolled in 2009)

2009 -- TB
Moses Alipate

2010 -- TB
JD Pride
Tom Parrish

2011 -- JK/TB
Dexter Formam
Max Shortell

2012 -- JK
Philip Nelson
Mitch Liedner

2013 -- JK
Chris Strevler

2014 -- JK
Dimonic McKinzy (recruited as athlete)

2015 -- JK
Demroy Croft

So funny thing happened on the way to the top of the big ten. This is a simplified look at the scenarios:

Ideal /What happened
2011 Starter Gray/Gray
Backup Alipate/Shortell

2012 Starter Gray/Nelson
Backup Shortell/Shortell

2013 Starter Shortell/Nelson
Backup Nelson/Leidner

2014 Starter Shortell/Lediner
Backup Nelson/Streveler

2015 Starter Nelson/Leidner
Backup Leidner or Streveler/Streveler

2016 Starter Leidner ??
Backup Strevelar/McKinzy ??

Assuming the evaluation was good on the incoming freshman and injuries didn't happen (they did) and Kill didn't recruit players whose dad's were total head cases (Shortell/Nelson) who thought their kids were the second coming of Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Andrew Luck all rolled into one, the guys we've had playing QB would have looked a lot different and players would have had the time they NEEDED to develop into starters or wash out not on the field.

in 2013 the most experienced quarterback on the roster was a RS SO. No Jr - RS Sr.s on the team. That's a FOUR YEAR GAP and we're paying for it today.

My guess is that Streveler and Leidner were not taken as QBs as much as athletes that could help the team and might be serviceable as a backup. Leidner as H-Back or TE is much more appealing to me than what he's dong on the field as a QB. If Gray had stayed healthy and the offense progressed more quickly, we might have been able to bring in better talent that would've/could've disrupted the scenario above.

It is what it is. Some of what happened is on the coaching staff, some is adversity and trying to make due with what you've got vs. the Everett Withers route of curling up in a ball and giving up because you don't have the right people. I'm hoping that Croft is a significant step in the right direction. All I wanted to do was better understand where we are. The QB is the last piece of the puzzle, then it's continued focus on depth and improving talent along with success. I'll continue to hope that a light turns on for Leidner or someone else on the roster can unseat him. We're close.

Top Bottom