QB Gray

GopherFanatic19

Reaction score
As I have watched every game this year completely to the end (How I haven't hung myself yet I dont know). I have come to the conclusion that M. Gray is not our QB of the future or next year. Unfortunetely Shortell is not our QB either for the future or next year. Gray just can't QB, he is slow to make decisions, can't throw accurately, and should be switched back to WR.

After reading up on P. Nelson I have come to the conclusion that we need to start him right away as a freshman or bring in another QB that fits our system better. He is a QB that can run and throw accurately.

It is just brutal to watch Gray play QB, miss open WR and yes the WR do not help him sometimes such as dropped passes that should have been caught.

If Gray wants to play he nees to start being smarter on the field and use his talents. He looks reserved and just can't make quick decisions and the plays looks like you can read what he is going to do.

P. Nelson needs to get here ASAP..

Let's just bypass all the guys on the roster and say the guy compared to Adam Weber should start before he gets to campus! Sounds smart!

I will use this thread to officially apologize to Adam Weber.

Before you start cutting players off the 2012 roster lets at least wait to see spring ball. We have no idea what kind of progress Gray will make from now until Aug 2012. He does have a long way to go, but it's been a few years since this kid was under center.

The reason I say P. Nelson is because I have read up and heard great things on him. If we get someone better who can do both better then by all means play them. Gray just looks shattered and lost out there, I was a big Gray supporter last year for when Webber was playing but we need a QB ASAP and I don't care who it is or where he comes from!

OMG I read all this great stuff on a high school quarterback playing against lesser talent! I'm not saying Nelson won't be good, but I don't base anything on his high school stats.

I read good things about every current player on the Gopher roster while they were being recruited. He needs to show up and prove himself before he can be a savior.

You win with Juniors and Seniors. I'm not sure if Gray or Shortell is the guy but let's give them experience and time to develop. Gray, of course, being a junior may run out of time to develop properly. I still wouldn't be surprised if Gray plays more receiver next year if Shortell shows improvement in spring ball.

To say Shortell is not our QB of the future after limited playing time as a true freshman on a bad team is ridiculous. He may not be, but it's way too early to say that.

As for Gray, it's obvious he has the physical tools. He's tall, has a great arm and can run the ball very well. It's all mental for him right now.

Hurts my eyes

Gray at QB = Grease Fire

Gray overthrew a receiver today that was seven feet in front of him, and it wasn't close.

I actualy applaud the staff today for not switching back and forth with Gray and Shortell (as much as I would have liked Shortell to get a few snaps). That doesn't do either one of them much good, or the overall offense.

That being said, my strategy would be to play Gray for every snap the next two weeks (maybe 3?). If he doesn't looked significantly better by that time, I think you need to start Shortell the last 2-3 games and give HIM every snap.

Regardless of what happens, I'll be concerned (VERY concerned) if the QB situation looks the same at the end of the season as it does now.

I know there were a couple of drops today but I almost find it hard to fault the receivers; it probably shocks the living sh!t out of them when the ball is delivered where it's supposed to be. They likely just aren't ready for it.

Gray at QB = Grease Fire

Gray overthrew a receiver today that was seven feet in front of him, and it wasn't close.

I actualy applaud the staff today for not switching back and forth with Gray and Shortell (as much as I would have liked Shortell to get a few snaps). That doesn't do either one of them much good, or the overall offense.

That being said, my strategy would be to play Gray for every snap the next two weeks (maybe 3?). If he doesn't looked significantly better by that time, I think you need to start Shortell the last 2-3 games and give HIM every snap.

Regardless of what happens, I'll be concerned (VERY concerned) if the QB situation looks the same at the end of the season as it does now.

I know there were a couple of drops today but I almost find it hard to fault the receivers; it probably shocks the living sh!t out of them when the ball is delivered where it's supposed to be. They likely just aren't ready for it.
The receivers only got seperation on like 5 of his throws.

Gray at QB = Grease Fire

We are halfway through the season and Gray looks like the first game of the season. In fact he almost went backwards because the first game was against USC! I don't think Gray is our QB to lead us unless he makes MAJOR strides between now and next year. The reason why I dont say Shortell because he doesnt fit Kills system of a duel threat QB who can run and pass. T. Martinez would fit for KILL. I just think Gray was wasted in talent by Brew and his staff for him to recover to be a major piece in our system. Like you said I also watched that pass sail 15 ft pass the WR who was 7 ft infront of him wide open.

If you watched that game today, and could not see the improvement Gray has made throughout the year, then you watched
with blinders on. His receivers were brutal and offered NO help whatsoever. Moving him to WR next year, mean you wasted a
year of development for him and the entire time. Nelson should come in a RS. I do agree with the OP the Shortell will not be
the QB of the future and Nelson has a very good chance of being the starter, but as a RS Frosh.

Give Gray the reins the rest of the year and see where it takes us. He is very athletic, and running scrambling QB's
are a nightmare for defenses. Long frustrating season for a team that was left in terrible shape. Thank goodness
for recruiting.

If you watched that game today, and could not see the improvement Gray has made throughout the year, then you watched
with blinders on. His receivers were brutal and offered NO help whatsoever. Moving him to WR next year, mean you wasted a
year of development for him and the entire time. Nelson should come in a RS. I do agree with the OP the Shortell will not be
the QB of the future and Nelson has a very good chance of being the starter, but as a RS Frosh.

Gray has not progressed like he should have over the course of this season. He is still missing wide open recievers, overthrowing to many, regardless if open or on man coverage. Plus Gray still looks lost on a lot of plays out there. He is slow to develop the play and decide on whether to throw or run. If Nelson comes in and is better play him and start him as a true Freshman. Someone has to step up in our QB spot and be the man and if Gray takes Major strides then start him, if Shortell takes major strides start him, if P. Nelson is the man start him. So far, Gray and Max are not the guys, we have seen flashes, but we all know flashes dont win games.

Take a look at D. Robinson came into a crappy Michigan team with no one. He is decisive and makes quick decisions on whether to run or throw and he books it. Gray is not up to that yet and I don't see him making it up to it. Also B. Miller of OSU looks better than Gray and he is a Freshman. Yes Gray hasn't played QB but he has not progressed through this season like he should.

Had to listen to the first half 'cause we were driving back from Duluth. The radio sideline guy (JG, i think) reported that Kill was reaming the receivers for cutting their routes short and not getting the separation that would give Gray a chance.

Hey, we won the second half!

Gray made 3 of the worst throws I've ever seen today. His mistakes greatly outweight any positives he brings to the table. Not to mention he's much slower and less agile that most people want to admit and he has problems just handling the ball. Gray will never be an average QB at this level, much less a winner.

You can't make a decision about next year's roster before the guy you want to be named starter isn't even on campus.

I'm as pumped up about Nelson as anyone, but every kid on our roster was impressive in HS. If he looks like the real deal during spring ball next year (he is coming to school in January), moving Gray back to WR might be something to think about.

I just think it's impossible to come to any conclusions about college football players while they are still in HS. Nelson has a chance, but you have to keep in mind that Gray, Shortell, and even Foreman were really impressive HS QBs as well.

--About Gray at QB, yep, he's not very good. He doesn't get much help out there but he is not a good thrower regardless. Unfortunately, we are so void of offensive weapons that I STILL think he's our biggest weapon on offense.

To say Shortell is not our QB of the future after limited playing time as a true freshman on a bad team is ridiculous. He may not be, but it's way too early to say that.

As for Gray, it's obvious he has the physical tools. He's tall, has a great arm and can run the ball very well. It's all mental for him right now.

Agree with most of this, but he seems to missing the most important trait: accuracy

The chances of a true freshmen playing great in the big ten are equal to the Vikings ever winning a super bowl. Gray is not able to throw for completions, let alone go thru his read progressions.Shortell will start next year.

The chances of a true freshmen playing great in the big ten are equal to the Vikings ever winning a super bowl. Gray is not able to throw for completions, let alone go thru his read progressions.Shortell will start next year.
Seriously, we get it that you're a Packers fan. No need to rub it in.

Neither gray nor Shortell is a good qb right now. Gray is better. Gray has less time to develop.

I don't think either is ever going to take us to the promised land. I'd rather take the 50% passer who can run than the 50% passer who is a statue at this point.

Looks like Adam Weber wasn't as bad as a lot of people on this board thought! Remember all of the "Bench Weber and Play Gray" posts?

Wahoo McDaniel said:
Looks like Adam Weber wasn't as bad as a lot of people on this board thought! Remember all of the "Bench Weber and Play Gray" posts?

Still was the right call to bench weber. Not due to talent differences, but to develop your QB of the future (Gray). At least in garbage time. It was obvious Gray would be the starter this year, and to not give him any time last year was irresponsible coaching.

Right now Gray is the best QB on the roster. Problem is that Kill has made it very clear that he is playing for 3-4 years down the line so if this season and next season are lost causes then to me it makes more sense to try and develop the guys that are going to be here at that time.

Move Gray to receiver to give Shortell two receivers to throw to (Marcus Jones maybe becomes a third at some point but so far I don't see it). At least at receiver Gray has a shot to develop into a guy that can play at the next level. He might become an average QB at some point in his college career but I don't think I am making any bold statement saying he won't be a QB in the NFL.

Right now Gray is the best QB on the roster. Problem is that Kill has made it very clear that he is playing for 3-4 years down the line so if this season and next season are lost causes then to me it makes more sense to try and develop the guys that are going to be here at that time.

Move Gray to receiver to give Shortell two receivers to throw to (Marcus Jones maybe becomes a third at some point but so far I don't see it). At least at receiver Gray has a shot to develop into a guy that can play at the next level. He might become an average QB at some point in his college career but I don't think I am making any bold statement saying he won't be a QB in the NFL.

I agree with most of your post except one point; Gray is the best running threat on the roster, not the best QB. Gray is fast & strong, however, he does not have the elusiveness of a D. Robinson or R. Wilson. What he does have is size and athleticism and if I were MG I would be begging the coaches to switch to WR, where he could have a legitimate shot at the next level if he dedicates himself to the position. IMO, it's a win/win situation. you upgrade the WR position and get a much more accurate and poised QB. You prepare for next year by giving Shortell more game experience and increase your chances of not having to throw another true freshman QB in to the fire. I want Nelson & Leidner to both RS next year. It's time to build for long term success.

There are times I wonder what would happen if Moses Alipate got a few snaps at QB. Flame away.

Top Bottom