QB Comments

ncgo4

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer was talking on one of the radio shows I listen to and he was commenting about the NFL concerns about Tebow. He said that the issue with Tebow is the fact that he has been a shotgun QB his whole career. He described it as, "Snap, drop & pop." He sadi that in college the OC reads the defense and picks the target. The QB just drops back two steps and throws it to the designated target. No real reading of defenses by the QB.

He said that there is often such a long time involved in a QB learning to read defenses from under center that they (NFL) are afraid to make the investment even for a talent like Tebow. He implied (may have actually said) that it can take years for such a transition.

Made me think about Weber and Gray and some of our issues this year.

I think that's likely a very apt comparison. I haven't seen Gray's old games, but I have to assume his offense worked something like that...have one target, if he's not open, tuck it and take off. Sort of like Weber last season.

So then it's not just Weber forcing the ball to Decker, it's Fisch calling Decker's number too much? That explains why announcers every game say "Green was wide open on that play" and Weber doesn't even look... well there again -- explain why Weber stares down his receivers.

This is unacceptable. Fisch can't even see the field! He should be sitting up high in the box if he's truly calling the targets.

So then it's not just Weber forcing the ball to Decker, it's Fisch calling Decker's number too much? That explains why announcers every game say "Green was wide open on that play" and Weber doesn't even look... well there again -- explain why Weber stares down his receivers.

This is unacceptable. Fisch can't even see the field! He should be sitting up high in the box if he's truly calling the targets.

That's assuming we're coaching that way. Because Fisch is from the NFL, it's more likely that he is teaching progressions to the QBs and they are having a tough time handling it. I have seen Weber (although not often) progress through receivers. I have also seen many college QBs go through progression. I'm guessing that Dilfer didn't mean all OCs pick the one and only target for a QB.

Why are you jumping to incorrect conclusions? Fisch isn't telling Weber who to throw it to. Weber makes a read at the line of scrimmage--adjusts the play if necessary--and goes through a progression while he is dropping back and sitting in the pocket. This is the way most offenses work. A QB reads one or two DB's during the play and throws accordingly.

Why are you jumping to incorrect conclusions? Fisch isn't telling Weber who to throw it to. Weber makes a read at the line of scrimmage--adjusts the play if necessary--and goes through a progression while he is dropping back and sitting in the pocket. This is the way most offenses work. A QB reads one or two DB's during the play and throws accordingly.

+1

I don't know how those last two posters completely misinterpreted those posts. The QB seems to have a lot MORE control over the offense than he has in past seasons.

Clearly Weber is not comfortable. There better be a payoff.

If we've got to replace the QB constantly is this style even a good idea? It's the problem I have with pro philosophy and college athletics, takes too long to be effective and often the kids just aren't talented enough to ever play instinctually with so much to consider. If you have to think you're not fast enough. I don't care who you are.

Top Bottom