Q&A with Ben Johnson: Recruiting, NIL, Coyle's Expectations, Fox/Ihnen Health, Betts Progress and Much More

Where did he say anything about settling for a filler

Who is "he?" If you're referring to Ben Johnson, I wasn't citing him. I was reacting to another's poster's expectation that there might not be much recruited from the portal other than marginal players from this point on. My reaction is that Johnson will anger fans if that is the result.

Johnson has given up qualify transfer recruiting a little too early in each of the past two offseason. He should not make that mistake again.

My point on Ihnen and Fox is this...The coach's job is on the line this year. If he trusts that they are going to help enough that he doesn't need to recruit much more for their slot- then I am going to go with that. I don't know if that is stupid or smart but I can't watch them work out - and as you say, the coaches can. If they are back to pre injury health this year- I think they both could help and maybe a lot. If not- then Ben needs to get more help to cover for that possibility.
My assumption, based on common sense, is:

1) He works the portal as hard and as long as possible to improve the roster. Guards as highest priority but you want a good forward or post too if you can get them.

2) He plans for Ihnen and/or Fox based on what he has seen so far and subject to re-evaluation next week, the month, and on and on.

It's all fluid today and subject to change every day. That is a concept unavailable to wailin' jennies.

Who is "he?" If you're referring to Ben Johnson, I wasn't citing him. I was reacting to another's poster's expectation that there might not be much recruited from the portal other than marginal players from this point on. My reaction is that Johnson will anger fans if that is the result.

Johnson has given up qualify transfer recruiting a little too early in each of the past two offseason. He should not make that mistake again.
And you know exactly on what day each offseason he has given up quality transfer recruiting? Told by Ben directly?

My assumption, based on common sense, is:

1) He works the portal as hard and as long as possible to improve the roster. Guards as highest priority but you want a good forward or post too if you can get them.

2) He plans for Ihnen and/or Fox based on what he has seen so far and subject to re-evaluation next week, the month, and on and on.

It's all fluid today and subject to change every day. That is a concept unavailable to wailin' jennies.
Right. All day. Everyday.

No need to speculate on a message board. Why are you here?

in my book, if Fox and Ihnen can give them 8-10 minutes a game, that makes the team deeper and gives them more match-up options.

I don't care if Fox scores a point all year - I just want someone to help with rebounding and interior defense.

Ihnen - who knows? if he can be a slightly taller version of Henley, that's better than nothing.

short of bringing in a real game-changer, improvement is going to be incremental. and without big NIL $$, the Gophers are not bringing in a real game-changer.

in my book, if Fox and Ihnen can give them 8-10 minutes a game, that makes the team deeper and gives them more match-up options.

I don't care if Fox scores a point all year - I just want someone to help with rebounding and interior defense.

Ihnen - who knows? if he can be a slightly taller version of Henley, that's better than nothing.

short of bringing in a real game-changer, improvement is going to be incremental. and without big NIL $$, the Gophers are not bringing in a real game-changer.
Ihnen and Fox both have bad wheels and probably won’t hold up to Bens ironman style of coaching.

Neither of whom have played a competitive basketball game in more than 2 years. Some very serious brake pumping needs to be done on these g
Ihnen and Fox both have bad wheels and probably won’t hold up to Bens ironman style of coaching.
They were bad. Rehab improves everyday. They can come back better than new. I expect big things from both. There was no wait and see from Ben. Just waiting on clearance for full contact.

Top Bottom