Q&A: Minnesota DC Tracy Claeys - "You're as good as your seniors"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Q&A:

What were your general thoughts on the defense coming out of spring practice?

Tracy Claeys: I think by far it was our best spring. I look forward to getting back with them in fall camp, and hopefully that carries over. I'd be disappointed if we don't play better than we did a year ago.

It appears as if more of your players pass the "look test" on that side of the ball, though that doesn't always translate into results. But you seem to have better athletes. Would you agree with that?

TC: Yeah, and I think that was the main thing. When you're the University of Minnesota, it takes developing some kids. We've taken some kids who were a little bit smaller but who could run. Now they've had a couple of years in the weight room, and they've put on some weight. So I think all that's going well. We felt like we needed to run better with the spread offenses and the hurry-up stuff people are doing. I do think we've improved athletically, and now having had a couple of years in the weight room, I think our size is getting better. We're still not where we need to be, but I think we can make up for a little bit of that size with the strength and toughness we've added.

You've got three experienced senior starters in Brock Vereen, Aaron Hill and Ra'Shede Hageman. Are they your obvious leaders, or have others emerged?

TC: You're as good as your seniors. I believe that. You've got to have playmakers on the field, and they don't always have to be seniors, but the better the leadership comes from seniors, the better football team you've got. What's good about those three is that they all work their butts off -- they don't take days off in the weight room or stuff like that. I think that's the main thing for a leader. You've got to be somebody who puts in the time to be successful, and all three of those kids have. And with that, they're developing other ones. Maybe sometimes younger kids don't always know how to work the best when they get here, but then they see those seniors working hard, it puts that work ethic in everybody.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/79736/qa-minnesota-dc-tracy-claeys

Go Gophers!!

"TC: You're as good as your seniors. I believe that"

Bingo. Claeys and Kill, et al. have the answer. Hence the need for balanced recruiting year after year.

Ya win with Seniors.

"TC: You're as good as your seniors. I believe that"

Bingo. Claeys and Kill, et al. have the answer. Hence the need for balanced recruiting year after year.

Ya win with Seniors.

A few years back, one recruiting year we didn't stock up on offensive linemen. Somebody, maybe me, mentioned that we have a hole in our recruiting balance, and that it would hurt us down the line. That guy, maybe me, got nearly hooted off the board. Poor bastard, maybe me, is laughing at all the GH experts for being short sighted. There are never plenty of players on the team at any position. Never.

A few seconds back, somebody, maybe me was laughing at how insecure some people are.

For years now, somebody, maybe me, has said that GH commentors should be coaches and players.

A few years back, one recruiting year we didn't stock up on offensive linemen. Somebody, maybe me, mentioned that we have a hole in our recruiting balance, and that it would hurt us down the line. That guy, maybe me, got nearly hooted off the board. Poor bastard, maybe me, is laughing at all the GH experts for being short sighted. There are never plenty of players on the team at any position. Never.

ha ha

Somebody really enjoyed this post. I don't want to name names.

Brock Vereen was just on KFAN... forgot how awesome of a dude he is.

Top Bottom