Q&A: Get to Know Tyler Cochran

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Why Minnesota?
I felt like it was a family-oriented program. Some may not know, but I had a good relationship with Coach Johnson before signing here when I was at Northern Illinois. I was able to see his plan three-four years prior and the understanding of where he's coming from and how he coaches. Playing at Minnesota in the Big Ten, you're also playing at the highest level of basketball and I'm excited to be a part of it.

As mentioned, you knew Coach Johnson. Now as your coach, what have you been able to learn from him and this coaching staff already in your time here?
Him helping us understand that this is big boy basketball. Obviously I've played Division I and in good conferences with other good players, but knowing now that this is a dog fight. Even though you don't always want to, you have to come in here and compete and work your hardest. We're preparing for the season now, and hopefully March and into postseason. For me, it's coming in here every day and getting my body right. They've challenged me to be the vet and a leader. Even though I joined the program late and am a little behind, how can I adapt and be able to play my kind of game.

How have you been able to get acclimated with the team in the time that you did?
Being a high IQ guy, I have the ability to understand basketball at a high level. Being an older guy and playing around really good players at my previous schools has helped me. At my previous schools, I was surrounded by smart guys understand how to win. I'm trying to bring that mentality here to an up and coming program and be able to contribute right away the best I can.

Off the court, what do you like to do?
I'm a big homebody. I like to stay at home for the most part and chill. Right now, I'm big into the show Blacklist guy. I'm big into sitcoms and the BET shows like House of Payne, Meet the Browns. I rewatch Martin all the time. I just watch all the same shows all the time.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
I'm looking forward to competing in a dog fight every single night. Where I was previously, he obviously played hard, but there were certain games that if you didn't play hard, you might lose. Here, you're going to have to play hard every single night to compete. There's no bad team in this conference. So I'm just looking forward to competing and prove to people that I can play at this high of a level. I want to be able to prove to myself as to why I took a leap to compete at this high of a level instead of staying in the MAC. Looking foward to competing.

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

Why Minnesota?
I felt like it was a family-oriented program. Some may not know, but I had a good relationship with Coach Johnson before signing here when I was at Northern Illinois. I was able to see his plan three-four years prior and the understanding of where he's coming from and how he coaches. Playing at Minnesota in the Big Ten, you're also playing at the highest level of basketball and I'm excited to be a part of it.

As mentioned, you knew Coach Johnson. Now as your coach, what have you been able to learn from him and this coaching staff already in your time here?
Him helping us understand that this is big boy basketball. Obviously I've played Division I and in good conferences with other good players, but knowing now that this is a dog fight. Even though you don't always want to, you have to come in here and compete and work your hardest. We're preparing for the season now, and hopefully March and into postseason. For me, it's coming in here every day and getting my body right. They've challenged me to be the vet and a leader. Even though I joined the program late and am a little behind, how can I adapt and be able to play my kind of game.

How have you been able to get acclimated with the team in the time that you did?
Being a high IQ guy, I have the ability to understand basketball at a high level. Being an older guy and playing around really good players at my previous schools has helped me. At my previous schools, I was surrounded by smart guys understand how to win. I'm trying to bring that mentality here to an up and coming program and be able to contribute right away the best I can.

Off the court, what do you like to do?
I'm a big homebody. I like to stay at home for the most part and chill. Right now, I'm big into the show Blacklist guy. I'm big into sitcoms and the BET shows like House of Payne, Meet the Browns. I rewatch Martin all the time. I just watch all the same shows all the time.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
I'm looking forward to competing in a dog fight every single night. Where I was previously, he obviously played hard, but there were certain games that if you didn't play hard, you might lose. Here, you're going to have to play hard every single night to compete. There's no bad team in this conference. So I'm just looking forward to competing and prove to people that I can play at this high of a level. I want to be able to prove to myself as to why I took a leap to compete at this high of a level instead of staying in the MAC. Looking foward to competing.

Go Gophers!!
I'm really excited to watch Cochran play. His stats remind me of a Sean Sutherlin with a bit more of a jump shot. With him and Femi, I really like that we added a couple wings who seem to play with more grit.

Top Bottom