Q&A: Get to Know Trey Edmonds and Grayson Grove

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

Why Minnesota?
Trey Edmonds: I chose Minnesota because I felt that the Gopher coaching staff had my best interest in mind. They were able to see me early last season when I was here with UTSA. I really enjoyed that experience. My visit was very welcoming for me and my family and all the coaches were good guys. My parents and I prayed on it and felt it was the best choice for me my senior year.
Grayson Grove: I chose Minnesota mostly because of the coaches and the culture they are building around this team. I connected really well with all of coaches, but primarily Ben Johnson and Dave Thorson who recruited me. They both seemed very down to earth and genuine guys who had a vision for me and how I can become a better player. Everything that I saw when they recruited me is exactly what I've seen so far. It has all been really authentic.

You've been through workouts for a month now. What have you taken away from your Minnesota experience so far?
TE: It's a power conference team and it's the real deal. I've played Division I since high school, but never experienced anything quite like this, the team aspect and getting better every day. It's a battle every day. We're fighting and competing. It's a great experience and a great atmosphere. I feel motivated every time I walk into the practice gym. The resources are out of this world and I am blessed to be here.
GG: I've learned that you just have to put your best foot forward every day and give 100 percent. Just get a little better every day. There are going to be bad days, but overall, you just have to keep giving great effort and it will work out for you.

You've already played in Williams Arena. What did you take away from that experience?
TE: I played here last year with UTSA and it was fun. The lifted court kind of gave me NCAA tournament vibes a little bit. I saw that and thought "we're really here right now." I got emotional before the game. I've played in some big games at Gonzaga and Arizona, but when I came here I was like, "I'm really here right now." Playing against a Big Ten school was great and it hit me more when I played well. And now I'm playing here.
GG: I played state basketball there when I was with Alexandria. I've had a ton of fun playing on it. The elevated court has a really cool effect when you take a moment to look around. Playing for my high school on that court was really fun and to have the support was great. It gets really loud and has a lot of energy in there. Looking forward to seeing it as a college player too.

What's one thing fans should know about your hometown or home state?
TE: Colorado in general is very slept on when it comes to basketball. I don't know if we get enough recognition. We have a lot of basketball players in college and some in the league. We're making our waves in the basketball world and people should be on the lookout for Colorado basketball.
GG: Lots of lakes. That's what people do for fun down there. Go on the lake and doing some wake surfing, skiing, tubing. I live on Lake Victoria and you can just go through the different chains or go to Zorbaz.

What other sports did you play growing up and what was it that drew you more to basketball?
TE: Growing up I was in karate, baseball, football and basketball. Ultimately, I chose basketball over football. I was tired of getting blindsided in football. I saw the football injuries and locked in on basketball. Obviously my dad was hyped about that since he played basketball at Colorado. He knew it was going to happen because it did for him too. He couldn't wait for me to fully get into basketball.
GG: I played soccer, but was really into baseball. I thought that was the sport I was going to do. Then my freshman year of high school, I started playing with AAU and D1 so I stopped playing baseball. That's when I kind of took it seriously and fell in love with it.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
TE: I'm looking forward to seeing how we gel as a team. We already gel great together off the court and we're learning more and more about each other on the court. We have a lot of hard workers, and everyone's bought in. Our weightlifting sessions are really precise and we're dialed in. I don't think I've been a part of anything quite like this. We all have the same mission and are doing something special with this group.
GG: I'm looking forward to winning games with the guys and having a ton of fun with them in the locker room and on the court.

Go Gophers!!

Great to hear from both players. I am excited to see them both play.

Top Bottom