Q&A: Get to Know Lincoln Meister and Max Sheridan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

Lincoln Meister and Max Sheridan had different paths to landing a spot on the University of Minnesota roster, but are here to help the team prepare for the 2024-25 season. Hailing from Rochester, Minn., Meister played at John Marshall before competing at Minnesota Duluth for four years. Max Sheridan, from Los Angeles, Calif., came to the Gophers last year as a student manager and landed a spot on the team his sophomore season. Learn more from each of them as the Gophers get ready for the upcoming season this Novemeber.

Why Minnesota?
Lincoln Meister:
I'm from Rochester and I wanted to stay close to home. What better opportunity than here. I'm not going to get a better experience anywhere else and I'm very grateful to have this opportunity and be here.
Max Sheridan: I chose Minnesota because I was always a Minnesota hoops fan. I'm from the west coast, but a lot of my family lives near here. My grandparents live about an hour south of Minneapolis and I have cousins, aunts and uncles that live here> My immediate family would come to Minnesota a couple times a year growing up. Competing here to Minnesota, you're competing at the highest level of college basketball. I'm also excited to play in front of family who never got to watch me play much growing up so I'm making up for lost time.

How did your experience at Minnesota Duluth translate to your summer experience here with the Gophers?
Lincoln Meister: Just the experience at playing at a higher level has helped. College basketball, wherever you are at, is a different level than high school. I was able to learn a lot through those four years that can help me here with the Gophers.

You have a summer internship so you're trying to balance that and practice. Tell us more about it and what you're doing.
Lincoln Meister: I'm interning with Xcel Energy renewable branch and really enjoy what I'm doing. I've been very grateful that both parties are willing to work with my schedule. Both are very flexible and allow me to go both. It's been a grind going back and forth between work and basketball, but I've loved it all.

What was the reaction when you went from manager to a spot on the team?
Max Sheridan: A dream come true. Last year I just put my head down and stayed positive. For all that hard work to pay off, it's so rewarding. It makes me want to work even harder to see what I can do.

How did last year's experience help you this summer?
Max Sheridan: It just showed me what it takes to be successful to compete at this level. Coming out of high school I don't think I would have been prepared to step into this role right away. So being able to learn and living with some of the guys to see what it takes, mentally and physically, really allowed me to be in the best position for this year.

What have you learned from the coaches during the summer training session?
Lincoln Meister: Getting used to the physicality and the level of play. It's a step up and the dedication that everyone has from the coaches down to making us better. They've been working on me to get better and a great opportunity.
Max Sheridan: They have taught me to be locked in and buy into my role for this team to be successful. Being here instead of home this whole summer has really allowed me to buy into what I want to do. Individually, getting better and being a good teammate and do what I can to help the team.

What's the best or most known for your hometown.
Lincoln: I'm from Rochester and the Mayo Clinic is there. If you're visiting, it's probably not for the best reason.
Max Sheridan: I'm from Venice Beach, which is a smaller part of LA, and it's just a huge basketball, pop culture scene there. Being from there, it made me the person I am and the culture is just different out there and I love it. I will try and bring a little of that here in Minnesota.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
Lincoln: Just being a part of the team and having an experience of what it's like in the Big Ten. I'm here to help the team win games any way I can.
Max Sheridan: Just what it's like seeing it from the perspective as a player. I know what it's like to travel and under the radar, but to be able to put a jersey on and travel with the team every game is exciting. Seeing it from a player's perspective is great. I'm grateful to be here, have fun and win some games.

Go Gophers!!

My guess is one is head and shoulders above the other.

Top Bottom