Purdue Could have Used Tracy Claeys to beat Rutgers at Home

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Claeys never lost to Rutgers.

Do people still think Brohm is a great coach?

I actually still think he's a good coach.

Purdue was 3-30 in the Big 10 before Brohm showed up, and they are 14-18 and with him. That's a pretty striking turnaround. Put it this way, I think if Purdue fired Brohm and hired someone else that they would have a really hard time getting back to this level.

Turning around a bad program is difficult and that's a tough place to recruit and win.

I actually still think he's a good coach.

Purdue was 3-30 in the Big 10 before Brohm showed up, and they are 14-18 and with him. That's a pretty striking turnaround. Put it this way, I think if Purdue fired Brohm and hired someone else that they would have a really hard time getting back to this level.

Turning around a bad program is difficult and that's a tough place to recruit and win.
He did start out with an nfl QB in Blough and another good one in Sindelar already on the roster. He still has a lot to prove to me. His offensive style does not seem well suited for this conference, I’m not convinced he recruits well enough either.

The proof of the pudding is in the conference W/L record.
That said, this so called season should not be used to make any comparisons or to fire coaches.

Brohm is a good coach.
He's not PJ's level.

He needs to run the ball or he will be out.
They had 35 pass attempts and 33 rush attempts yesterday. They had a 100 yard rusher.

he needs to get his team to play defense

They had 35 pass attempts and 33 rush attempts yesterday. They had a 100 yard rusher.

They’ve been pretty bad at running the ball throughout his tenure though. His defenses have also not been very good.

I don’t know if Brohm is a good coach, but I do know Greg Schiano is a great one. The man has done miracle work there this season and deserves Big Ten Coach of the Year in a landslide.
Schiano already proved his abilities during his first stint with Rutgers, that was an all time great program turnaround, which quickly turned again when he left. We’ll see if he can turn them around again in an even tougher scenario in the B1G. They have looked much better this year.

Schiano already proved his abilities during his first stint with Rutgers, that was an all time great program turnaround, which quickly turned again when he left. We’ll see if he can turn them around again in an even tougher scenario in the B1G. They have looked much better this year.

Yeah. It's actually really surprising that he hasn't been a head coach since 2013.

They’ve been pretty bad at running the ball throughout his tenure though. His defenses have also not been very good.
Well they weren’t bad at running the ball yesterday. Nor did they ignore the run game.
The run game was not the issue yesterday.

Well they weren’t bad at running the ball yesterday. Nor did they ignore the run game.
The run game was not the issue yesterday.
I don’t think he was saying it in regards to just that one game.

The proof of the pudding is in the conference W/L record.
That said, this so called season should not be used to make any comparisons or to fire coaches.
Neither Sindelar nor Blough reach the levels they achieved if Hazell was still the coach. Blough is in the NFL because of Brohm.

I don’t know if Brohm is a good coach, but I do know Greg Schiano is a great one. The man has done miracle work there this season and deserves Big Ten Coach of the Year in a landslide.

Yup.

I made the trip to lovely Piscataway to see them play during their hey day under him when Ray Rice was there and he got them into the Top 10; the joint was jumping, of course.

There is much love for him in the Toxic Dump State with HS coaches and I believe they'll be a solid to good program again under him and he won't bail on them again, I don't think.

He ran the ball 26 times in 1st half and scored 23 points. He ran 6 times in second half and scored 7.

He ran the ball 26 times in 1st half and scored 23 points. He ran 6 times in second half and scored 7.
I can play that game too.
In the first 36 minutes of the game Purdue attempted 24 passes and scored 30 points. In the last 24 minutes of the game they only attempted 9 passes and scored 0 points.

Let’s eliminate the touchdown drive since it worked.

On all other drives in the second half Purdue ran 14 plays.
4 of those plays were third downs.

So of the 10 non-third down plays in the second half that Purdue ran...4 of them were runs.

Purdue only ran 23 plays the entire second half.
in the last 23:38 of the game...Purdue ran 8 plays and 3 were runs.

It wasn’t some lack of commitment to the run game. It was a lack of snaps because their defense’s inability to get off the field.

when they scored a touchdown to go up 30-20...they only had 14 offensive snaps the rest of the game.

Remains to be seen Brohm vs Fleck in coaching ability. Fleck certainly a good motivator and put together a good staff that he took with him from WMU. Brohm inherited a program that hadn’t won more than 3 games under the previous coach and very low talent pool. Fleck inherited a team with what, 5 straight bowl appearances, 2 straight wins and some very solid talent on the defensive side.

Granted a few key transfers have helped, but it makes you wonder how bad the previous RU staffs were to achieve historic levels of ineptitude. Schiano comes in during a COVID offseason and instantly makes them more competitive. Fascinating.

Top Bottom