Pudue Matchups

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I think the most intriguing match up will be Swanigan (6-9 250) vs Murphy (6-6 240).

Haas and Lynch maybe another one but Lynch needs to stay out of foul trouble

Brute strength vs athletism

Discuss

I think someone else said it in another thread but Purdue is probably one of the worst matchups (IMO) for the gophers in the Big Ten. Florida St exposed the gophers' inside abilities and I think that we will see the same thing vs Purdue.

Agree, this is worst match-up in the B1G for Gophers, especially the way Lynch is playing (non-factor). Biggie & Haas a brutal match-up for our frontcourt. Lynch, Konate, Murphy, and Curry all need to play their fannies off for the Gophers to have a chance in this one.

Agree, this is worst match-up in the B1G for Gophers, especially the way Lynch is playing (non-factor). Biggie & Haas a brutal match-up for our frontcourt. Lynch, Konate, Murphy, and Curry all need to play their fannies off for the Gophers to have a chance in this one.

Or we get refs to call everything that resembles contact on Purdue....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say Lynch was a non factor. In fact, his defense and shot blocking set the stage for the first half yesterday. Once foul trouble hit, then yes, it hurt. But he didn't get into foul trouble until later in half. So yes, if in foul trouble, he becomes a non factor. That said, not sure how he was a non factor early in the first half. We need Lynch to win against Purdue.. even if he fouls out.. we need him. I will say I am worried about him getting his second foul within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Purdue is solid and a touch matchup.. but we have players that are tough matchups for others (Amir, Dupree, etc) so hopefully we can counter. Should be fun..

We can counter their bigs with our own slashing the basket but must go straight at them and get fouls...we also need to hit at least 10 3s

I wouldn't say Lynch was a non factor. In fact, his defense and shot blocking set the stage for the first half yesterday. Once foul trouble hit, then yes, it hurt. But he didn't get into foul trouble until later in half. So yes, if in foul trouble, he becomes a non factor. That said, not sure how he was a non factor early in the first half. We need Lynch to win against Purdue.. even if he fouls out.. we need him. I will say I am worried about him getting his second foul within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Purdue is solid and a touch matchup.. but we have players that are tough matchups for others (Amir, Dupree, etc) so hopefully we can counter. Should be fun..

This is spot on. When Lynch was in, and not in foul trouble the defense was excellent. Once he was gone or playing under the cloud of foul trouble- the defense got much worse. The other thing Lynch does is make the other team play honest on defense. Again- once he was gone the perimeter defense of MSU got ramped up because we had no threat inside.

Lynch has pretty much done nothing but block a few shots, get in foul trouble, and not play well the last 3 games. You guys haven't noticed that? You're seeing what you want to see, not what's actually happening. It's been pretty clear Pitino is not pleased with how he's playing, and rightly so.

It's very early in the B1G season, but I'm a tad concerned. Bakary has earned a lot more minutes lately, and it's not just because of Lynch's foul problems. Lynch's last 3 games:

LIU: 12 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds, 3 blocks

Arkansas State: 15 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds, 0 blocks

Michigan State: 11 minutes, 3 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks

Totals: 38 minutes, 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 blocks

Again, it's not just his foul trouble. He's not playing well. Gophers need him on the court, and they need him to play well. Playing vs. Purdue's massive and talented frontcourt would be a good time for him to get it going again.

He committed his 2nd foul and left for the half with 12:31 left in the 1H. Gophers led 11-7 at the time. Quite a stretch to say he set the stage for the 1st half performance

I think the Gophers have the advantage with guard play but Purdue has the advantage inside. Need to get plenty of ball pressure on their guards and make it tough to get it to Haas and Swanigan. Should be an advantage for the Gophers if the refs call the ticky tack stuff they have inside so far this year.

I think the most intriguing match up will be Swanigan (6-9 250) vs Murphy (6-6 240).

Haas and Lynch maybe another one but Lynch needs to stay out of foul trouble

Brute strength vs athletism

Discuss

We need Lynch to play at least 12-15 minutes.

Lynch has pretty much done nothing but block a few shots, get in foul trouble, and not play well the last 3 games. You guys haven't noticed that? You're seeing what you want to see, not what's actually happening. It's been pretty clear Pitino is not pleased with how he's playing, and rightly so.

It's very early in the B1G season, but I'm a tad concerned. Bakary has earned a lot more minutes lately, and it's not just because of Lynch's foul problems. Lynch's last 3 games:

LIU: 12 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds, 3 blocks

Arkansas State: 15 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds, 0 blocks

Michigan State: 11 minutes, 3 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks

Totals: 38 minutes, 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 blocks

Again, it's not just his foul trouble. He's not playing well. Gophers need him on the court, and they need him to play well. Playing vs. Purdue's massive and talented frontcourt would be a good time for him to get it going again.

He played pretty well in his 11 minutes on the floor against MSU. Ward did not score much when he was on the floor.....stats don't show that (exept for blocks). Scored at will with Curry and Konate on the floor.

Purdue will be a better version of Florida State. Long, big and better from the arc. We need our A+ game to win.

We match up better with Purdue this year than we did last year. We took them down to the wire by slashing and getting to the rim. Will have to do the same this year. Only made one 3 in that game last year.

We need Lynch to play at least 12-15 minutes.

We need to borrow from Golden State Mr Stephen Curry to do a couple dozen 'drip it high off the backboard' layups in front of the Purdue bigs.

Purdue foul trouble with there bigs, will win us this game

Murphy has to continue to rebound and draw fouls - but he has to shoot FT's at better than a 40% clip. All things being equal, if he shoots 70% from the line (as the total team did) against Mich St, Gophers win.

He committed his 2nd foul and left for the half with 12:31 left in the 1H. Gophers led 11-7 at the time. Quite a stretch to say he set the stage for the 1st half performance
Exactly - I remember looking at the clock and groaning at how early he was in trouble, and then he played the rest of the game under the shadow of foul trouble and managed only a few rebounds. Curry and Konate got in foul trouble but weren't neutralized by it the way Lynch was. Amazingly - I think Konate is living up to what we can expect from him right now - and he did come in and slow Ward late in the game even with 4 fouls. Curry is doing ok at what he is being asked to do. Lynch needs to step up and adjust.

Top Bottom