Proposed CFB Recruiting Changes Could Help Northern Schools

There has been some discussion on this topic. Urban Meyer has been a critic of this idea. Understandable because he wouldn't be able to poach late bloomer recruits as easily.

Hope this will help us nab 5 star WR's for Seth Green to target.

It would help us, but I don't like it.

The idea of having even younger kids singing themselves up to something they can't get out of seems pretty scummy. They're kids, they should get to change their minds.

The idea of having even younger kids singing themselves up to something they can't get out of seems pretty scummy. They're kids, they should get to change their minds.

But it goes both ways, the school also can't get out of the deal. This way the student has a scholarship without having to worry that the school is going to change their mind at the last minute when a higher ranked recruit shows up.

If I set the rules...
... I make so recruits could sign anytime during their senior year. After signing, they get a week to change their mind but beyond that week it's a contract. The university has a recruit that they don't need to keep calling every day to make sure they're still on board; and the recruit has a guaranteed slot on the team that the university can't pull.

If I set the rules...
... I make so recruits could sign anytime during their senior year. After signing, they get a week to change their mind but beyond that week it's a contract. The university has a recruit that they don't need to keep calling every day to make sure they're still on board; and the recruit has a guaranteed slot on the team that the university can't pull.

Are u serious with this???? It just makes too much sense to be implemented! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it goes both ways, the school also can't get out of the deal. This way the student has a scholarship without having to worry that the school is going to change their mind at the last minute when a higher ranked recruit shows up.

Eh.... maybe some one off guy gets injured but benefits, but teams aren't going to offer a borderline dude. It's not like the player gets to pick unless the school first offers...\

They're only going to offer guys who they want to lock up and keep other schools from seeing. That's not a benefit to most players.

Agreed. The adults already have an upper hand as it is.

Regardless when they sign, an athlete should be able to opt out if the coach is fired or changes jobs,

Eh.... maybe some one off guy gets injured but benefits, but teams aren't going to offer a borderline dude. It's not like the player gets to pick unless the school first offers...\

They're only going to offer guys who they want to lock up and keep other schools from seeing. That's not a benefit to most players.

At first it sounded like a great concept, but it seems like it would still end up working against the student-athletes. Programs would just adjust their behavior. For top prospects they would offer early and pressure the kid to sign, for everyone else they may wait until the last minute. Programs wouldn't want to put offers out there that they wouldn't be willing to be bound to immediately.

OTOH, maybe that would work out OK. You could have two official visit periods, one in summer before senior year for those who may sign early, and one around Christmas break-January for those who are offered late or are deciding late.

Still have the kids sign any time, but give them 1 month instead of 1 week to back out. If they back out they can sign somewhere else but could not be on athletic scholarship the first year.

At first it sounded like a great concept, but it seems like it would still end up working against the student-athletes. Programs would just adjust their behavior. For top prospects they would offer early and pressure the kid to sign, for everyone else they may wait until the last minute. Programs wouldn't want to put offers out there that they wouldn't be willing to be bound to immediately.

OTOH, maybe that would work out OK. You could have two official visit periods, one in summer before senior year for those who may sign early, and one around Christmas break-January for those who are offered late or are deciding late.

Still have the kids sign any time, but give them 1 month instead of 1 week to back out. If they back out they can sign somewhere else but could not be on athletic scholarship the first year.

The bold is pretty much how it works already, minus some of the pressure. (And I agree that the pressure is new, negative piece.) There's a pecking order. A kid commits to Minnesota in June, then gets a late December offer from Florida State. Minnesota loses the kid. But a different kid who committed to Eastern Michigan now gets a Minnesota offer in December. Eastern Michigan loses the kid, then they look around. Currently, the best programs get to wait longer than we do.

Yes, some kids would miss an opportunity to play at a higher level by signing early. But look at how many kids committed to Minnesota (and other schools) during the summer. In theory, Minnesota wanted them, and they wanted Minnesota. Basketball has an early signing period (November), and the same risk applies. There's no rule that a kid must sign early; there are risks to both sides in signing early, and risks in waiting.

The bold is pretty much how it works already, minus some of the pressure. (And I agree that the pressure is new, negative piece.) There's a pecking order. A kid commits to Minnesota in June, then gets a late December offer from Florida State. Minnesota loses the kid. But a different kid who committed to Eastern Michigan now gets a Minnesota offer in December. Eastern Michigan loses the kid, then they look around. Currently, the best programs get to wait longer than we do.

Yes, some kids would miss an opportunity to play at a higher level by signing early. But look at how many kids committed to Minnesota (and other schools) during the summer. In theory, Minnesota wanted them, and they wanted Minnesota. Basketball has an early signing period (November), and the same risk applies. There's no rule that a kid must sign early; there are risks to both sides in signing early, and risks in waiting.

It works that way already..... for older kids.

Now we do it that unpleasant way for even younger kids?

That seems less right.

Top Bottom