Promote Tim Cross!!!

FiveStarFan

Reaction score
With Roof leavin...this idea came from HLGopher, he is the best recruiter on the staff and all of the defensive players love him. I feel he would be here for a while. Lets get this ball rollin!

Couldn't disagree with you more. He's a great rah, rah guy. I don't want him as our coordinator. The players wanted Guety to be the head coach 20 years ago how did that turn out.

A lot of people on this board don't understand that Brew has a lot of underpaid young guys on his staff to recruit. The coordinators get the money.

I'm personally getting sick of all these firing/resigning, not a very stable program. If Roof leaves we'll take another step backward. We may have given up points at the end of the season but, a lot of people don't understand that some of that is the offenses fault for not being able to sustain a drive.

I want the Gophers to win as bad as any of you but right now I really have lost a lot of trust in coach Brewster. We have a tougher NC and Big Ten schedule next year. I don't think we'll be bowling. No way do I give Brewster an extension.

If I'm Maturi, I'm compiling a possible list for 2010 or 11.

Couldn't disagree with you more. He's a great rah, rah guy. I don't want him as our coordinator. The players wanted Guety to be the head coach 20 years ago how did that turn out.

A lot of people on this board don't understand that Brew has a lot of underpaid young guys on his staff to recruit. The coordinators get the money.

I'm personally getting sick of all these firing/resigning, not a very stable program. If Roof leaves we'll take another step backward. We may have given up points at the end of the season but, a lot of people don't understand that some of that is the offenses fault for not being able to sustain a drive.

I want the Gophers to win as bad as any of you but right now I really have lost a lot of trust in coach Brewster. We have a tougher NC and Big Ten schedule next year. I don't think we'll be bowling. No way do I give Brewster an extension.

If I'm Maturi, I'm compiling a possible list for 2010 or 11.
yep, he has already been passed over once.

Good pro coach does not equal good college coach.

He was passed over for a pretty good option. Tim Cross was up for the Kentucky DC job last year and he is the sole reason a top 5 recruit in Sheldon Richardson even made a visit here

The problem is

someone earlier on this board ripped John Gutekunst. Why was he bad? Did you know, in his six years as head coach, four of the seasons he went 6-5. But only once did he go to a bowl game. If he had the same system as the joke they used now, he'd be as good as Mason or Brewster.

1981, Gophers went 6-5 and didn't go to a bowl. WHO CARES ABOUT BOWL GAMES!!!

He was passed over for a pretty good option. Tim Cross was up for the Kentucky DC job last year and he is the sole reason a top 5 recruit in Sheldon Richardson even made a visit here

true but good recruiting does not necessarily mean good coordinator, and why was he passed over for the DC job at UK.

Good pro coach does not equal good college coach.

The game is very similar, obviously there have to be different approaches. But he is a great coach, and a former Gopher great. He would be my pick. You're argument doesn't really hold water. See also: Pete Carroll

I didn't rip Guety, but Ultimately after he lost Lou's recruits, we weren't very good.

16-26-2 over the last 4 years. 1988 we were 0-6-2 and 1991 1-7 in the Big Ten.

He was a great d coordinator.

We already have a head coach who needed to learn on the job. Now you want to hire a defensive coordinator who's never been a defensive coordinator (yes, Cross was a d-coordinator in high school for one year). Brew was able to land Roof and Tim Davis....let's see what he can do to get experienced coordinators this time around.

someone earlier on this board ripped John Gutekunst. Why was he bad? Did you know, in his six years as head coach, four of the seasons he went 6-5. But only once did he go to a bowl game. If he had the same system as the joke they used now, he'd be as good as Mason or Brewster.

1981, Gophers went 6-5 and didn't go to a bowl. WHO CARES ABOUT BOWL GAMES!!!

Brewster has 4 years left before you can make a valid comparison, unless you have a crystal ball and know his coaching record for the next 4 years. If thats the case would you mind filling me in I wouldnt mind knowing what his record will be.

I didn't rip Guety, but Ultimately after he lost Lou's recruits, we weren't very good.

16-26-2 over the last 4 years. 1988 we were 0-6-2 and 1991 1-7 in the Big Ten.

He was a great d coordinator.

And because of the snake oil salesman, Guety was always on probation with reduced scholarships.

My point is going to a bowl game means nothing. There was a slight shot at John G. earlier in a post and my point was he had four 6-5 seasons and during those seasons never finished lower than 6th in Big Ten. During the last few "bowl" seasons of Mason and now Brester, Gopher football hasn't finished higher than 6th. John G. wasn't bad

Although I did bring it up in an earlier thread, it was done in haste. I'm not sure Cross would be the best guy for the job. I'm also not sure he would be the worst guy. Maybe he would be willing to stay here for a while. What I would really like is a guy who is willing to stay here for 4 or 5 years. I would like for once to have a guy use the OC/DC positions at Minnesota as a stepping stone straight to a D1 Head Coaching job. Roof's lateral move angers me.

I'd like to see somebody with more of a track record than Cross. Maybe he'll be in line next year when they need to replace the new guy (j/k).

track record?

What is the infatuation people have with proven record? how does someone get a proven track record without someone giving them a chance to prove themselves? At some point in time a guy with no experience needs to be given the experience. We also have seen what people with proven track records do, they bolt fast to the next gig. Maybe a guy who needs to prove himself stays for 4 or 5 years so he can prove himself before jetting for the next job.

I would not be disappointed to see the job given to Tim Cross. We need him as a recruiter anyway.

What is the infatuation people have with proven record? how does someone get a proven track record without someone giving them a chance to prove themselves? At some point in time a guy with no experience needs to be given the experience. We also have seen what people with proven track records do, they bolt fast to the next gig. Maybe a guy who needs to prove himself stays for 4 or 5 years so he can prove himself before jetting for the next job.

I would not be disappointed to see the job given to Tim Cross. We need him as a recruiter anyway.

agreed, especially when it comes from within. i would hope we can get to a point where we feel comfortable with coordinators leaving and replacing him with his right hand man, who has something to prove

Like David Gibbs stuck around? Or Greg Hudson? Or David Lockwood?

David Gibbs did stay 4 years and moved on because he proved himself and got a better job. Hudson and Lockwood sucked and Lockwood's time was cut short because Mason was fired.

Hudson and Lockwood sucked and Lockwood's time was cut short because Mason was fired.
That's my point, they were young guys that needed a chance to prove themselves and they failed. You're taking your chances with somebody like that. Is that what you really want?

Gibbs succeeded, and Tim Cross is proven in the fact that we need him because he can recruit, Lockwood and Hudson brought nothing to the table. we don't know if Cross would fall flat on his face in a year, on the other hand, we don't know the next guy won't leave in a year anyway.

Top Bottom